• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Court: Ability to police U.S. spying program limited

Jango

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
The leader of the secret court that is supposed to provide critical oversight of the government’s vast spying programs said that its ability do so is limited and that it must trust the government to report when it improperly spies on Americans.

The chief judge of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court said the court lacks the tools to independently verify how often the government’s surveillance breaks the court’s rules that aim to protect Americans’ privacy. Without taking drastic steps, it also cannot check the veracity of the government’s assertions that the violations its staff members report are unintentional mistakes.

“The FISC is forced to rely upon the accuracy of the information that is provided to the Court,” its chief, U.S. District Judge Reggie B. Walton, said in a written statement to The Washington Post. “The FISC does not have the capacity to investigate issues of noncompliance, and in that respect the FISC is in the same position as any other court when it comes to enforcing [government] compliance with its orders.”

Walton’s comments came in response to internal government records obtained by The Post showing that National Security Agency staff members in Washington overstepped their authority on spy programs thousands of times per year. The records also show that the number of violations has been on the rise.

[NSA broke privacy rules thousands of times per year, audit finds]

The court’s description of its practical limitations contrasts with repeated assurances from the Obama administration and intelligence agency leaders that the court provides central checks and balances on the government’s broad spying efforts. They have said that Americans should feel comfortable that the secret intelligence court provides robust oversight of government surveillance and protects their privacy from rogue intrusions.

President Obama and other government leaders have emphasized the court’s oversight role in the wake of revelations this year that the government is vacuuming up “metadata” on Americans’ telephone and Internet communications.

Court: Ability to police U.S. spying program limited - The Washington Post

:lamo

The plot ****ing thickens. Not really though, I mean, who is surprised by this? Again though, the proponents for the N.S.A. and spying on Americans are and were wrong (as well liars) all along. Effective oversight my ass!

I don't think there are many proponents of what the NSA has become, there was just some naivete about how bad it could get. At this point, Congress would have to be petitioned to redact some of these spying powers or at least increase enforcement of oversight. If that can't happen, then the only way to stop the spying would be to revolt. What bothers me is that not enough people are concerned about this to the degree that they should be.

**** is getting serious.

In this country, the tail is wagging the dog, big time!

Most courts are corrupt, but at least there are a few good men like Reggie Walton. Good, because he has spoken a bit of truth, however reluctantly.

Court: Ability to police U.S. spying program limited - The Washington Post

:lamo

The plot ****ing thickens. Not really though, I mean, who is surprised by this? Again though, the proponents for the N.S.A. and spying on Americans are and were wrong (as well liars) all along. Effective oversight my ass!

So our federal government must report it's own tyrannical actions to an oversight committee??

That's pretty much how the IRS operates too.

Our government has become a totalitarian beast and the only thing separating us from a "Maoesque Red China" is our Second Amendment.

Back
Top Bottom