• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Couple trying to get married forced to prove New Mexico is a state

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I can understand the mistake though, I mean it is pretty New.

When I lived in Las Vegas I dated a girl to whom I had to explain that New Mexico was a state. Maybe she moved to DC. At the time I just chalked it up to her having been from New Jersey.

Can we be surprised when education has been underfunded and dismissed for over a generation?

Can we be surprised when education has been underfunded and dismissed for over a generation?

Since there are only 4 countries on earth that spend more on education that the USA, it would appear the solution is not hiring more 6 figure administrators. It could be that standardized testing does not include such as civics and geography, therefore there is no reason to teach such subjects.

A fella we know out of the private sector with an MBA from a top university recently retired and took a job as a HS teacher to keep occupied. By no means is he a rightwinger. In his opinion the best thing that could happen to the educational system would be if the federal Dept of Education was bombed out of existence and overall comments that the academia types dominating the education system are so into themselves and so detached from reality that the educational system can not be successful as it isn't about the students or education - but about the eccentricities and ideologies of those controllers.

A fella we know out of the private sector with an MBA from a top university recently retired and took a job as a HS teacher to keep occupied. By no means is he a rightwinger. In his opinion the best thing that could happen to the educational system would be if the federal Dept of Education was bombed out of existence and overall comments that the academia types dominating the education system are so into themselves and so detached from reality that the educational system can not be successful as it isn't about the students or education - but about the eccentricities and ideologies of those controllers.

So you think it is the fault of the teachers that this clerk didn't know New Mexico was a state. What the heck, let's blame our obesity on teachers.
Part of the problem is that many of you think that your teachers are going to teach you all you need to know in life. Teachers give you a good basic education but that is only the beginning. There is no freaking law to prevent you from continuing your education after the school bell. We have became a country of people living by sound bites. They think that is all they need to know.
Perhaps instead of the teachers lets take a look at the parents.

So no one was willing to spend 30 seconds with Google....

Sad.

Well it is overwhelmingly Democratic and run by the Democratic Party.

People who live in the country of Mexico or the USA state of New Mexico know the difference. It is Washington, D.C. people who are ignorant. Is anyone really surprised?

I can understand the mistake though, I mean it is pretty New.

As someone who was born to older parents, who were also born to older parents, my dad called the Mexico South of the Rio Grand as "Old Mexico". After 1912, it was incorrect to keep calling it "New Mexico Territory". My grandfather was born in the 1870s. However, the event in the OP reminds me of this movie scene.

Back in the mid-1980s, I remember my boss telling us that her son told her that if they ever brought back the military draft, he would escape to Hawaii.

Since there are only 4 countries on earth that spend more on education that the USA, it would appear the solution is not hiring more 6 figure administrators. It could be that standardized testing does not include such as civics and geography, therefore there is no reason to teach such subjects.

I am betting the supervisor who thought New Mexico was a foreign country was on a 6 figure salary. And the clerk was probably his/her friend or relative. And I am betting both these morons are trump supporters. They probably saw the word Mexico and immediately thought 'foreign country'.

The couple saw the humor in the situation.

They obviously thought the clerk and supervisor were dumb as **** and walked away thinking 'typical trump supporters'.

People who live in the country of Mexico or the USA state of New Mexico know the difference. It is Washington, D.C. people who are ignorant. Is anyone really surprised?

I'm surprised they weren't in elected office.

Or, were they?

ROFL Not just the clerk, but also her supervisor. I'm guessing both of them didn't get their jobs because they were the best qualified.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/30/672401957/new-mexico-id-temporarily-rejected-as-foreign-by-d-c-clerk
"She thought New Mexico was a foreign country," he said of the clerk as quoted by the Las Cruces Sun-News. "All the couples behind us waiting in line were laughing."

Clarkson was a recent candidate for New Mexico secretary of state and is a member of the Choctaw Nation. He said he protested the clerk's decision to her supervisor, who also failed to recognize New Mexico as a state.

"You know you are from flyover country when you are applying for a marriage license, give them your New Mexico driver's license, and they come back and say 'my supervisor says we cannot accept international driver's licenses. Do you have a New Mexico passport?' " Clarkson tweeted.

It would be bad enough if it was just the clerk, but it was the clerk AND the supervisor!

Even my students know that New Mexico is a state. They're still in single-digit numbers in age.

Even my students know that New Mexico is a state. They're still in single-digit numbers in age.

Yeah but that's probably because they are YOUR students.
Take a bow.

Interestingly, DC spends tons more than other places, just to score lower. Not hard to imagine when we have the DOE running things. Money doesn't help them. It never makes it all the way down to the teachers and classrooms with all the bureaucracies and overpaid admins grabbing from the pile on the way down. More government efficiency.

So you think it is the fault of the teachers that this clerk didn't know New Mexico was a state. What the heck, let's blame our obesity on teachers.
Part of the problem is that many of you think that your teachers are going to teach you all you need to know in life. Teachers give you a good basic education but that is only the beginning. There is no freaking law to prevent you from continuing your education after the school bell. We have became a country of people living by sound bites. They think that is all they need to know.
Perhaps instead of the teachers lets take a look at the parents.
Sorry, I don't buy it in this instance. Not teaching enough geography & history to know the names of the 50 states, is a severe academic failure.

I am betting the supervisor who thought New Mexico was a foreign country was on a 6 figure salary. And the clerk was probably his/her friend or relative. And I am betting both these morons are trump supporters. They probably saw the word Mexico and immediately thought 'foreign country'.
I doubt many DC low-level public service employees are Trump supporters. Just sayin'.

Back
Top Bottom