• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[R.I.P.] Country singer Tom T. Hall dies; wrote ‘Harper Valley PTA’

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
The storyteller has passed
12 number 1 songs, 26 in the top 10
I grew up listening to him and his music
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Tom T. Hall, the singer-songwriter who composed “Harper Valley P.T.A.” and sang about life’s simple joys as country music’s consummate blue collar bard, has died. He was 85.

Rest in peace, Tom T. Hall.

@snakestretcher I am a Country music fan.
Tom T Hall was a rare talent

Rest In Peace

@snakestretcher I am a Country music fan.
Tom T Hall was a rare talent

So am I-but 'Country' embraces such a wide variety of styles-from the 'Big Hat' stuff (which is basically rock with a hat), to Dolly Parton and Porter Waggoner, Old Crow Medicine Show, Steve Earle, Emmylou, Brad Paisley and all points in between, that it's impossible to be a fan of it all. So we pick and choose.

Tom T. Hall and Harry Chapin are probably are both right up there with the best for putting stories to music.

RIP

Tom T. Hall and Harry Chapin are probably are both right up there with the best for putting stories to music.

RIP
Agreed. I’d have loved to see a collaboration with those two and Billy Joel as well. Masterful songwriters.

Sad, I too was a fan. He'll be missed.

The storyteller has passed
12 number 1 songs, 26 in the top 10
I grew up listening to him and his music

I was fascinated with him even as a kid, a kid who despised country music.
Don't hate on me, I discovered Cash, Nelson, Willie, Jennings and eventually, Hank Wilson.
Oh yeah, ditto on snakestretcher:
Dolly Parton and Porter Waggoner, Old Crow Medicine Show, Steve Earle, Emmylou, Brad Paisley.

But Tom T. Hall was unique, as you said, a storyteller.

Back
Top Bottom