• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Could You Survive on Fast-Food Wages? Try Our Calculator

RDS

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Fast food crew jobs are not meant for survival here. They are just some means to earn some pocket money for students and retirees. For survival, upgrade your skills and get a better job.
Chief among the demands made by the hundreds of fast-food workers who walked out of their jobs this week: A raise to a "livable" wage of $15 an hour. Currently, the median hourly wage for the cooks, cashiers, and crew who deliver your value meals is $8.94, according to a new report from the National Employment Law Project. That's hardly enough to get by in most cities.
And while $15 might sound like a big jump, it's still not enough to meet living wage standards in many areas. Many fast-food workers are parents raising children, which significantly boosts their day-to-day expenses. And many are part-timers; on average they work about 24.5 hours per week.
Could You Survive on Fast-Food Wages? Try Our Calculator | Mother Jones

When I worked a min-wage job I survived just fine. It was plenty because I didn't live beyond my income. If it wouldn't have worked - I wouldn't have taken the job.

yep. somehow I managed to survive on minimum wage and go to college so I wouldn't have to work minimum wage my entire life.

Just posted a critique of minimum wages... ...

Here is the problem though--people are idiots. Not kidding. Complete, certifiable idiots. I saw a guy on TV the other day who worked for Domino's or whoever it is they are walking out on and he made $7.35 an hour and had worked there something like 15-20 years. The sum total of his position was, yeah I got a second job that pays more and I was reducing my hours here and was going to quit, but then came along the unionizers so I decided I would stay. In what world does one work minimum wage-ish for decades, have a better paying job in hand, and choose to continue to work for a dime more than minimum wage and then pretend to be a victim......I think he is overpaid if that is the best his neurons can produce in the way of logic.

Here is the problem though--people are idiots. Not kidding. Complete, certifiable idiots. I saw a guy on TV the other day who worked for Domino's or whoever it is they are walking out on and he made $7.35 an hour and had worked there something like 15-20 years. The sum total of his position was, yeah I got a second job that pays more and I was reducing my hours here and was going to quit, but then came along the unionizers so I decided I would stay. In what world does one work minimum wage-ish for decades, have a better paying job in hand, and choose to continue to work for a dime more than minimum wage and then pretend to be a victim......I think he is overpaid if that is the best his neurons can produce in the way of logic.

Hmm - at what point does 15-20 years leave you at minimum wage? Whatever happened to asking for a raise - or being promoted?

Set your sights higher people.

Fast food crew jobs are not meant for survival here. They are just some means to earn some pocket money for students and retirees. For survival, upgrade your skills and get a better job. Could You Survive on Fast-Food Wages? Try Our Calculator | Mother Jones

It's good to see how high liberals set their sights. That bar one hears talk about seems to be set about curb height.

I had three room mates in College when I was paid minimum wage. That's how it was done. Now they want those jobs to be career choices. Unbelievable.

Hmm - at what point does 15-20 years leave you at minimum wage? Whatever happened to asking for a raise - or being promoted?

Set your sights higher people.

yep, but the piece also pointed out that most people either end up moving on or opening their own businesses. Your local Dominoes might have 5-6 people working at a time so there isn't a need for a lot of management. In addition, a great many fast food restaurants are franchises. While people like to blame the big evil corporate monolith, the people are really working for small businesses like Aunt Spiker Enterprises or Fisher Food Making, Inc.

I know that some of these franchise agreements are basically ponzi schemes for the known-name corporation. The franchisee is required to open additional restaurants and if they do, when their agreement comes up for renewal, they are required to open even more restaurants. It is a never-ending scheme and why you might see Fisher's Fried Snails & Stuff on every other corner--franchisees end up competing with themselves for consumers in order to keep their corporate name on the door. I know of a few franchisees who had very successful locations who lost their franchise contracts because they did not have the cash to open as many shops as their agreements required within the tight time-frame.

If it ever came down to it (God forbid) I can survive on "no-wage".I know how to hunt,I know how to fish,I know how to build shelter,and I know how to make fire.
If I ever hit rock bottom I know that I will fight and scratch a claw my way out of that situation.
I started out 3 decades ago working as a dishwasher in a restaurant and now I own several,so I know that I have what it takes to not only survive,but to prosper.
So does my wife.
She put herself through medical school by waitressing at Waffle House.
Opportunity is always knocking,and no one is to blame but themselves if they refuse to open the door.

I not only survived on minimum wage, I thrived. I saved enough money to buy a ticket to Korea and then worked overseas for 11 years. My first overseas job paid $250 a month.

What a bunch of whiners. I suppose equality demands they have a house and a car and a Rolex.

If it ever came down to it (God forbid) I can survive on "no-wage".I know how to hunt,I know how to fish,I know how to build shelter,and I know how to make fire.
If I ever hit rock bottom I know that I will fight and scratch a claw my way out of that situation.
I started out 3 decades ago working as a dishwasher in a restaurant and now I own several,so I know that I have what it takes to not only survive,but to prosper.
So does my wife.
She put herself through medical school by waitressing at Waffle House.
Opportunity is always knocking,and no one is to blame but themselves if they refuse to open the door.

Greetings, Verthaine! :2wave:

Awesome post! :thumbs: It takes self-motivation and commitment to a goal, and an ability to show the naysayers that all that hard work is worth it: :congrats:

Greetings, Verthaine! :2wave:

Awesome post! :thumbs: It takes self-motivation and commitment to a goal, and an ability to show the naysayers that all that hard work is worth it: :congrats:

Thank you.I give all credit to my momma,who taught me to always try my best and go for my dreams,and my first (R.I.P and second wives for believing in me and sticking by me through the trying times.

I made min wage for a few years, and near min wage for a fair number more. I had my hand-me-down, heat bubbled TV on a box with a sheet over the box, and old couches. I also picked up a roommate. We probably paid $150-$200/mo for rent, came with washer/dryer, kitchen, etc. Lots of old folks lived there which was kind of cool, it was quiet and you got to help old ladies at the laundry room (the ministack in our apartment took forever so we supplemented). All furnishings picked up from people getting rid of stuff or from work people upgrading. Except my bathroom set, the gals at work pitched in and got me a matt, curtain, etc., as an apartment warming gift (<3 them!) Some of the best times of my life, we were talking about those days just last week. We still met girls and dated, it wasn't like we were destitute poor, we were young (and poor), and didn't have a clue. School didn't really help prepare us much, but oh well, we figured it out on our own time after ;) :p

Back
Top Bottom