• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Could you stay with 1 person your entire teen life?

Could you?

• Total voters

Solace

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Could you stay with one person throughout your entire teen life? I know some people who have been with the same person since they were 13 years old and now they are 16, 17, and 18 years old and still with the same person. I just find it rather odd I guess, since I have a new girlfriend every month, but still, I mean, staying with one person for that long, that's quite a commitment. Could you ever stay with someone from the age of 13 through all of high school or even the rest of your life?

I had girlfriends for several years at a time. That's generally how it goes for me.

I have a guy I work with that married the girl next door. They were friends since they were toddlers and started dating when they were 12 or 13 (if you can consider that dating I guess) and are now in their thirties and married.

I've been with my fiance since we were 15, were now 24 and getting married next month, so I don't find it that hard to believe that it can be done.

I have a guy I work with that married the girl next door. They were friends since they were toddlers and started dating when they were 12 or 13 (if you can consider that dating I guess) and are now in their thirties and married.

I've been with my fiance since we were 15, were now 24 and getting married next month, so I don't find it that hard to believe that it can be done.

i met my husband when i was 16.

Could you stay with one person throughout your entire teen life? I know some people who have been with the same person since they were 13 years old and now they are 16, 17, and 18 years old and still with the same person. I just find it rather odd I guess, since I have a new girlfriend every month, but still, I mean, staying with one person for that long, that's quite a commitment. Could you ever stay with someone from the age of 13 through all of high school or even the rest of your life?

There weren't many girls I was all that into while I was a teen as most of them had personalities I found shallow and repulsive. The one girl I did date was probably the result of hormones rather than genuine interest. She was dumb as a house of bricks but she was built like a brick house. After her parents caught us and kept us apart, she did not have enough intelligence or personality to keep me interested for long.

I did, all through high school. It's one of my life mistakes. Not a good idea, imo.

my wife's sister and her husband started "dating" when they were in middle school. they "dated" all through high school and then lived together for about 9 years until they got married. they are now both in their early 50s.

Of course as if you are in love? There is no need to go elsewhere.

I feel you are not giving teens credit that they deserve by asking this question

Last edited:
I knew people who did stay together all through their teens... the whole high school sweetheart thing... and it was mostly to their detriment. Even when things turned dysfunctional, they remained attached. One couple even stayed together until they were 24 or something along those lines.

It's healthy to let go of relationships once they come full circle and the learning is complete. Sometimes the learning lasts a lifetime, but for most people there is an expiry date and it should be honoured. To me, teenage relationships are largely experimental periods and practice for more adult situations later on.

No, I couldn't have and if I had it to do over, I still wouldn't.

My middle sister and her husband met at the age of 13.

They weren't allowed to date, but he would come over to the house and they would sit on the couch for hours. This went on until she turned 16 and Dad allowed them to go out.

They dated all through high school, and got married right after graduation. Neither of them ever dated anyone else.

They have now been married about 40 years.

Of all my siblings' marriages, they are the only ones that have never divorced and never seperated.

Frankly I think that would be kind of boring. Plus I don't believe in love

I met my wife in my freshman year of high-school; I had just turned 15. We were together for about 6 years before marrying. My battles and I just celebrated my 11th and last wedding anniversary on Thanksgiving. So I guess, yes, I could stay with one person through my teen years.....'till death, however, doesn't look like it's going to happen.

I was very monogamous in my teens. Thankfully, I grew out of that :)

When I was 14, I met Wayne. He was 19. OMG. My parents liked him. He probably kept me out of trouble as I was a pretty tough cookie for a few of my teen years. After a couple of years, I wanted to break up with him. He became a bully and manipulator. And I stayed with him. When I was 19, and he was 24, we got married. I stayed with him six weeks and filed for divorce.

Maybe the better question might contain the word "should."

If I'd have had children, I would have done everything I could to encourage my daughter/son to stay foot-loose and fancy-free during their teen years. 'Course parents often don't have much say in the matter. Damn hormones.

Absolutely. Getting past 18-19 is a little difficult because many people go to college in different towns and open themselves up to new social circles, ideas, etc.. Going from college to the workforce is also difficult because new priorities can develop, and couples can lose what they once had in common due to no longer spending a lot of time together, etc.. But I think if the two people are committed to the relationship, spend a lot of time together, support each other, and communicate well, it's certainly doable. The problem is I think most teens don't pick relationships based on who they have a lot in common with, who will be supportive, who has similar goals, etc.. But when such couplings do occur, I think the possibility for the relationship to last a long time is good.

Back
Top Bottom