• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Could this work?

steen said:
Hmm, I must admit not having heard of that one before. I have only heard of Yuka (sp?) Mountain, which never seemed that good an idea to me.

Yucca mountain is a great second choice. It's a freaking solid granite mountain with no history of vulcanism in the last million years. It's a safe place to be. One plus is that the material is accessible if we figure out a practical use for it. Another plus is that it's all in one spot, and an easily defended spot at that. That spot is also far from any major population centers so if a most unlikely event were to occur, there wouldn't be vast numbers of people in the way.

The only problem that really exists with Yucca Mountain is that it's a damn good idea and using it would almost totally destroy all arguments the chickensh!t anti-nuke crybabies have against nuclear power.

What's wrong with simply storing the stuff in a pile out in the desert and hanging signs on it saying, in all languages "U Enter U Die"? Then update the signs as language changes?

Sorry to sound realistic but i think the biggest mistake modern people make is assuming that the current levels of industrialisation are beneficial and sustainable.

There is no way the world will cope with the ever increasing energy needs of "Democratic" or Industrialised nations, playing with Dragon Power or Nuclear Energy is by far the most backward ill concieved notion of progress around today, to think that we must harness the earths most powerful energies in order survive is redundant, these energies already exist within our earth, they are already working to create energy meridians around our planet, which will give a natural rejuvenating flow of energy to the natural inhabitants of our physical realm.

To think that the earth is hospitable for our species, it gives us energy through sunlight and fresh foodstuffs and water that are abundant on the surface of our planet, this is the only enrgy we need yet we pursue this notion of progress that will see the earth a desolate and un-diverse wasteland before we make do with what we have.

You want sustainability, forget about alternatives to oil etc, learn how to live without Oil, learn how to live with what you have got, ability to grow items of food, ability to pipe fresh water etc.

Mickyjaystoned said:
Sorry to sound realistic but i think the biggest mistake modern people make is assuming that the current levels of industrialisation are beneficial and sustainable.

There is no way the world will cope with the ever increasing energy needs of "Democratic" or Industrialised nations, playing with Dragon Power or Nuclear Energy is by far the most backward ill concieved notion of progress around today, to think that we must harness the earths most powerful energies in order survive is redundant, these energies already exist within our earth, they are already working to create energy meridians around our planet, which will give a natural rejuvenating flow of energy to the natural inhabitants of our physical realm.

To think that the earth is hospitable for our species, it gives us energy through sunlight and fresh foodstuffs and water that are abundant on the surface of our planet, this is the only enrgy we need yet we pursue this notion of progress that will see the earth a desolate and un-diverse wasteland before we make do with what we have.

You want sustainability, forget about alternatives to oil etc, learn how to live without Oil, learn how to live with what you have got, ability to grow items of food, ability to pipe fresh water etc.
Sounds good, but not realistic at all. How would you accomplish this? Are we to go back to an agrarian society and life as we did in the 18th century? They had their problems as well. A few hermit types may be able to live like that, but not an entire nation.

Mickyjaystoned said:

Sorry, I don't look good in bearskins. All it means if the level isn't sustainable is that an elitist group will arise to convince the rest of us, by force of arms, that we deserve to go cold and naked while they enjoy the fruits of industrialization.

They'll probably use a slogan like "from each according to his means, to each according to his needs". That seems to be the latest mantra of the elitists.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
They'll probably use a slogan like "from each according to his means, to each according to his needs". That seems to be the latest mantra of the elitists.

That would work, if, and only if, human nature undergoes a drastic change. And since that hasn't happened much during the few thousand years of history that we think we know something about, I am not holding my breath.
The ruling elite that we have now seems to think that they somehow deserve a much better lifestyle than the rest of us, and I don't see that situation getting any better, either.
One thing I would like to see is people with degrees in science having an input on our energy policies, instead of getting some political appointees who only took general science in the 8th grade.
Hey, it could happen...:lol:

UtahBill said:
That would work, if, and only if, human nature undergoes a drastic change. And since that hasn't happened much during the few thousand years of history that we think we know something about, I am not holding my breath.
The ruling elite that we have now seems to think that they somehow deserve a much better lifestyle than the rest of us, and I don't see that situation getting any better, either.
One thing I would like to see is people with degrees in science having an input on our energy policies, instead of getting some political appointees who only took general science in the 8th grade.
Hey, it could happen...:lol:

That's basically what I was trying to say.

Reminds me of what Jerry Pournelle said about people who were trying to get society to switch over to muscle operated appliances:

"Human history is nothing but one group trying to make another group do all the pedalling."

(Or words to that effect. That book is buried at the bottom of a stack of boxes in my garage)

Sounds good, but not realistic at all. How would you accomplish this? Are we to go back to an agrarian society and life as we did in the 18th century? They had their problems as well. A few hermit types may be able to live like that, but not an entire nation.

In response to this past life regression i would like to add what is happening in our planet today, namely that being the gradual and prophecised downsizing of our population, the planet as industrialisation continues is becoming less and less hospitable, as more and more cars run pumping out Carbon Dioxide, more and more forest is cut down to make way for plantation that is not even used in many cases.

Biodiversity of this planet has been steadily dropping on this planet with no signs as of yet of regrowth, the polar ice caps are melting, a process that could signal the end of The Gulf Stream bringing a new ice age to western europe and a distinct change in climate for the planet, with the change in climate is coming more violent weather and an increase in deaths caused by mother earth, in the coming years with a possible outbreak of H5N1 flu we could see a drastic chop in world population perhaps rendering industrialisation useless or simply unmaintainable, if this proves to be the case the earth will have survived industrialisation and will begin a rejuvination process.

Scientists and science may prove useful in the years ahead, but scientists are fundamentally flawed in their projection of scientific/industrial progress being the route to future happiness and a better earth, Nuclear power only comes up when the usual means of exploitation are running short, fossil Fuels etc have been all but used up by science and industrialisation so now they go searching for something else while the cause go's untreated.

Marko Pogacnik has written extensively on the changes happening within and throughout our earth i recommend you take a browse over some of his work and see what you think.

http://www.findhornpress.com/Hosted...soApp=search.lasso&subcategory=marko pogacnik

http://www.ljudmila.org/pogacnik/FrameSET1.html

http://www.ljudmila.org/pogacnik/index.html

This guy has written extensively on Elemental beings i know alot of the sceptics out there won't like it, but what our future holds is unprecedented change, think what you will.

Doom and gloom aside, we survived the last ice age, if just barely, and the mini ice age from 1350 to 1850 or so, and we will survive the next one as well. A lot of us will die, and those left behind will be a bit smarter, just like before, altho the previous events were not caused by man's pollution. It is part of a natural cycle. We adapt or die. But I can agree with the idea that it will take a catastrophic event before we decide to adapt, or change our ways.

Mickyjaystoned said:

Unfortunately, the agrarian utopia generally is a starvation model.

Its kind of hard to harness the power of something that can travel through the entire planet (earth), and come out the other side unscathed (no loss of energy).

Back
Top Bottom