• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Could the Putin part of the GOP keep Finland and Sweden from joining NATO?

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
It will take two thirds vote of congress to approve Finland and Sweden joining NATO. It seems both countries are now thinking of joining after seeing what happens to a country that is not part of the pact. Putin is sword rattling trying to keep the two countries from requesting membership. If they join NATO, his war in Ukraine would have the opposite effect that Putin hoped for when starting the war. The problem here is that Trump still supports Putin as does several of the talking heads on Fox, including Tucker Carlson, who might say bad things about those who would support such a vote. Add that to the fact of the huge amounts of money Russian's have poured into the GOP's Campaigns and they might think it is better to do as Trump and Putin want and vote no against Finland and Sweden joining NATO. What do you think?

It will take two thirds vote of congress to approve Finland and Sweden joining NATO. It seems both countries are now thinking of joining after seeing what happens to a country that is not part of the pact. Putin is sword rattling trying to keep the two countries from requesting membership. If they join NATO, his war in Ukraine would have the opposite effect that Putin hoped for when starting the war. The problem here is that Trump still supports Putin as does several of the talking heads on Fox, including Tucker Carlson, who might say bad things about those who would support such a vote. Add that to the fact of the huge amounts of money Russian's have poured into the GOP's Campaigns and they might think it is better to do as Trump and Putin want and vote no against Finland and Sweden joining NATO. What do you think?
How would a non-existent group stop NATO from admitting Finland and Sweden?

I think you hate your fellow countrymen more than you do the Russians.

Have you seen a word in weeks from Trump that explicitly supports Putin attacking Ukraine? Not this bullseye "he's a genius" crap, something concrete.

Have you seen a word in weeks from Trump that explicitly supports Putin attacking Ukraine? Not this bullseye "he's a genius" crap, something concrete.

No, they haven't; not from Tucker either. The OP is lying.

Their ammo is depleted, their arguments are vapid - all they can do is hurl dung and try to provoke fights.

There's no better or compelling time to join NATO now that Russia has proven beyond any shadow of doubt both the necessity and value of membership, has dashed itself on the rocks of Ukrainian resistance, tied up its military in a largely unsuccessful invasion and plunged its economy into free fall.

This vote would be about joining NATO, though, and a lot of people are either 1) scared it will piss off Putin or 2) think NATO is a lousy deal for the US and just are against it on principle. So I could see there being some debate about it. Hopefully not enough to prevent them joining, though.

@independentusa , is it a House vote, a Senate vote, or both?

You can bet they will do their worst.

They aren't non-existent! They are much like the tens of millions of phantom "white supremacists" who obviously control all of America! There's no actual evidence they exist, but that's because they are invisible! Only those who partake in toxic, hyperpartisan leftist propaganda are capable of seeing them....

I absolutely hate Putin, and I want everything he doesn't want.

I'm all-in for Sweden, Finland, and any other country that wants to join NATO and meets the requirements.
You dont want vodka? Aww :p

Could the Stupid Title Generator Algorithm be responsible for creating the title in this thread? It sure looks like it. You understand that someone is allowed to disagree with your position without being on Putin's side, right?

For example, our founding fathers would not be on your side as they were very against entangling foreign alliances, especially in regards to Europe.

I absolutely hate Putin, and I want everything he doesn't want.
That has to be about the shallowest and most idiotic reasoning for ideologies I've read in a long time.

They aren't non-existent! They are much like the tens of millions of phantom "white supremacists" who obviously control all of America! There's no actual evidence they exist, but that's because they are invisible! Only those who partake in toxic, hyperpartisan leftist propaganda are capable of seeing them....
You have a future in fiction; facts, not so much.

I think you hate your fellow countrymen more than you do the Russians.
I think you are very wrong, but then you most often are very wrong. I do hate those people in this country that love Putin and Trump more than this country, and so should you. I hate the idea that one party is trying to keep legitimate citizens from voting by voter suppression laws. I lived during thee time of Jim Crow laws, and that should never come back to this country, but it is by the GOP actions in many of the states they control. I would think that any American who had a bit of pride in our country and our democracy would hate that as much as I, but I am afraid to say that they do not.

Could the Stupid Title Generator Algorithm be responsible for creating the title in this thread? It sure looks like it. You understand that someone is allowed to disagree with your position without being on Putin's side, right?

For example, our founding fathers would not be on your side as they were very against entangling foreign alliances, especially in regards to Europe.
The problem is that in many states controlled by the GOP that is no longer true. I find it interesting that people that they should be able to lie on Twitter and Facebook with impunity. If you disagree with that position you are against free speech. We saw what what happens if those kind of lies are allowed on January 6th. Free speech is limited by not yelling fire in a crowded theater and that is what lies about the election by Trump and the GOP have done, yelled fire and we had January 6th.

The problem is that in many states controlled by the GOP that is no longer true. I find it interesting that people that they should be able to lie on Twitter and Facebook with impunity. If you disagree with that position you are against free speech. We saw what what happens if those kind of lies are allowed on January 6th. Free speech is limited by not yelling fire in a crowded theater and that is what lies about the election by Trump and the GOP have done, yelled fire and we had January 6th.
Yes, if you're against free speech you're against free speech. Free speech is literally defined by allowing speech people don't like.

I thought you could not say that on this message board. You can say I am not telling the truth, but calling me a liar might get you a whole three day suspension. Of course the monitors never seem to go after the right wingers on this board, do they? And by the way, Trump has called Putin, his buddy/boss, a genius several times. Does Putin look like a genius to you right now?

I thought you could not say that on this message board. You can say I am not telling the truth, but calling me a liar might get you a whole three day suspension. Of course the monitors never seem to go after the right wingers on this board, do they? And by the way, Trump has called Putin, his buddy/boss, a genius several times. Does Putin look like a genius to you right now?
You gonna answer my question or just mud wrestle here?

That has to be about the shallowest and most idiotic reasoning for ideologies I've read in a long time.

Well, Tom--oops! I mean Fishking--maybe I was overstating it. If Putin doesn't want the Stones to break up, then I guess I don't want it, either.

But seriously, I hate the guy. No matter how I try to place myself in his shoes and see things his way, I just can't justify what he is doing in Ukraine. I just can't.

Well, Tom--oops! I mean Fishking--maybe I was overstating it. If Putin doesn't want the Stones to break up, then I guess I don't want it, either.

But seriously, I hate the guy. No matter how I try to place myself in his shoes and see things his way, I just can't justify what he is doing in Ukraine. I just can't.
No one is asking you to put yourself in his shoes or justify what he's done. I'm just stating that opposing something for no motivation or thought but to oppose is pretty dumb. It also isn't going to make people less dead and, in reality, it usually ends up making more people dead.

No one is asking you to put yourself in his shoes or justify what he's done. I'm just stating that opposing something for no motivation or thought but to oppose is pretty dumb. It also isn't going to make people less dead and, in reality, it usually ends up making more people dead.

Well, until he did this Ukraine stuff, I was pretty much open to him. So, it's not like I didn't give him a fair chance.

But I do see you're point. No one should "blindly" oppose someone. My ears are still open. But right now, in my book, he's [insert expletive of your choice here].

Back
Top Bottom