• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Could She Reach the Top in 2012? You betcha!

I didn't stare at the tv.. That is crazy that you did that, because I was the opposite. I was bouncing off the walls and asking my parents.. who did this? do they know? do they have any ideas? why did they do this? wtf is going to happen? where are all the other plans... wtf is being done? are we safe?

.. just saying

You're just saying that you were running around panicking asking questions of people who would have no way of knowing the answers, but I'm the crazy one?

:D

Just saying.

I'm a pretty calm sort of person I guess.

Voting for her being the nominee gives Obama a second term, make it happen :2razz:

Or....

Come up with a solid republican candidate who's a strong leader and a moderate, and I'd support them.

I'm not anti-conservative in any way, some of my positions are conservative HOWEVER, I'm not gonna support a candidate because they say they're conservative when clearly, Palin is not a conservative.

She's a right wing, hypocritical, religious imposing moron.

Exactly.....they love to claim that the left is absolutely petrified of Palin...yet down deep...it is them who are deathly afraid of the chance that she could get the nomination because they know that she can never win.

this is called "projection", and it is quite entertaining to watch.

REALITY: the election of 2012 will be majorly defined by a small handfull of issues, at the very least one of which is currently on absolutely nobody's radar. Obama probably wins in 2008.... but does he win with the margin he did without the fall of '08 economic meltdown?

and so on and so forth. half of the discussion of the post 2012 debates will center on the GOP challengers' answer to the question on how to handle the recent Russian invasion of China (or whatever issue comes up).

In the meantime, we are discussing trends; and the ones centered around Obama are not good. He seems fairly determined to recreate the Carter Administration; which is rather entertaining, given that the attacks on Palin are so reminiscent of the attacks on Reagan.

Should Palin, by some tragic misadventure, run and be elected POTUS there will be the biggest case of "buyers remorse" on record. :wow:

You're just saying that you were running around panicking asking questions of people who would have no way of knowing the answers, but I'm the crazy one?

:D

Just saying.

I'm a pretty calm sort of person I guess.

I guess you are calm... but my parents were watching the news and knew what was happening hours before I did, so it didn't seem rash to ask questions.. I couldn't calm down, and I was scared about terror cells for a few months after. IDK.. it was crazy though

Should Palin, by some tragic misadventure, run and be elected POTUS there will be the biggest case of "buyers remorse" on record. :wow:

If she did become POTUS it would just show how stupid Americans are.. I hope we aren't that stupid though.

Come up with a solid republican candidate who's a strong leader and a moderate, and I'd support them.

yeah. we ran a strong leader who 's a solid republican and also a moderate against Obama back in 2008.

how'd that turn out?

She's a right wing, hypocritical, religious imposing moron.

yeah, that's what they said about Reagan, too. far too extreme and right-wing to ever actually win a Presidential election...

If she did become POTUS it would just show how stupid Americans are.

we already reelected FDR multiple times; i'd say it's too late for any Presidential election since to demonstrate our capacity to shoot ourselves in the face.

actually that is happening now.

That "didn't want to alarm the children" line is nothing but "Why doesn't anyone think of the children" BS and an attempt to justify GW having zero clue with how to act in a Presidential manner.
He could have walked out of the room and said "I have an important matter to attend to"....no one is suggesting that he had to freak out and "Scare the children".

Yes, he could have just walked out without scaring the children. However, would that have gotten him to where he was going any sooner? Would it have made any difference where he was while he was trying to figure out what to do? People act like there was people being killed right outside the door and he should have jumped up and gone to work saving them.
He sat, got his thoughts together, and calmly left.

Exactly.....they love to claim that the left is absolutely petrified of Palin...yet down deep...it is them who are deathly afraid of the chance that she could get the nomination because they know that she can never win.

I agree that the establishment republicans are afraid of her too. Look at how Karl Rove is treating her. I'm not sure for what reason though. Is it really because he's afraid we'd lose to Obama, or could it be he's afraid the republicans will lose to a tea party conservative?

I didn't stare at the tv.. That is crazy that you did that, because I was the opposite. I was bouncing off the walls and asking my parents.. who did this? do they know? do they have any ideas? why did they do this? wtf is going to happen? where are all the other plans... wtf is being done? are we safe?

.. just saying

I dropped to my knees and thanked God for not answering my prayers. I had voted and prayed for Al Gore to win.
I was crying and saying thank you God for George Bush! over and over again.
What an awful time for the whole country. I hope we never see anything like that again.

I agree that the establishment republicans are afraid of her too. Look at how Karl Rove is treating her. I'm not sure for what reason though. Is it really because he's afraid we'd lose to Obama, or could it be he's afraid the republicans will lose to a tea party conservative?

I think its actually both. The GOP is deathly afraid of the tea party and the establishment, namely the neo-cons don't want to lose the grasp that they have on the party.
Personally, I think it would be a good thing for the GOP to embrace the fiscal conservative policies of the tea-party if the can rid the tea-party of the right-wing social conservative folk and move the GOP towards a Goldwater style party.

I think its actually both. The GOP is deathly afraid of the tea party and the establishment, namely the neo-cons don't want to lose the grasp that they have on the party.
Personally, I think it would be a good thing for the GOP to embrace the fiscal conservative policies of the tea-party if the can rid the tea-party of the right-wing social conservative folk and move the GOP towards a Goldwater style party.

Disneydude and barbbtx are both correct. There is institutional resistance among the GOP establishment in giving up power and control within the party to what is seen as outsiders who will simply not be there in the future and are just a temporary nuisance to be used as needed.

Back in 1972 I was a delegate to the Democratic National Convention in Miami. I got this because I was the McGovern coordinator for my congressional district and McGovern was entitled to two delegates in my district based on his primary showing. I was only 22 years old and that made me the youngest delegate ever picked up to that time in my state. The other person selected was the district party chairperson - a woman who was a prominent attorney and who had been in the party hierarchy for decades.

When the convention was over and McGovern nominated, I watched on a daily basis as the party regulars not only sat on their hands for the next three months, but did everything in their power to make sure the McGovern loyalists did not replace them in actually running the party. I remember quite vividly one gnarly old timer telling me that they were they before we got there and they would be there long after we left in November. And they were right to some degree.

I think the same thing will take place with Palin, the tea party faction, and the GOP over the next two years. If anybody thinks the establishment Wall Street faction of the Republican Party is going to willingly share any of their actual power with the tea party folks, they need to learn a whole lot more about the way political parties are structured and run.

Palin basically said she was stepping down so the business of Alaska could go on. If she becomes president and quits she would probably say the same thing.... As with Alaska on that point she would be right.

Doesnt anyone see that the Palin hype is basically like the Obama hype was in 2008? The only difference is she is a conservative. She basically came out of nowhere and no one knew who she even was until 2008 just like Obama, she has no experience just like Obama. Palin=Obama. I have yet to hear Palin actually give an explanation in detail to all the rhetoric that she shouts out at all the tea partys.

I dropped to my knees and thanked God for not answering my prayers. I had voted and prayed for Al Gore to win.
I was crying and saying thank you God for George Bush! over and over again.
What an awful time for the whole country. I hope we never see anything like that again.

I actually wanted GWB to win that election.. but maybe Gore would have better in some ways.. I don't think we'd be in Iraq if he won, and perhaps the economy would have been better today. However, there would have been trade offs and I would probably be PO'ed that Gore won if he did... lol

The tea party is right wing social conservatives.. and they preach fiscal responsibility, just like the other GOPers do.. but are they really? I don't know yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are not.. They are also begging Palin to take control of the GOP, and listen to her foreign policy. She sounds like a Christian, right wing neocon to me.

That is not true. I want Palin as the GOP nominee because it will be a repeat of Goldwater in 64.

And thats the truth.

You're going to feel awful stupid, if she wins. The only way she couldn't win against Obama, is if the Dems run someone in his place, which I fully expect them to do.

Obama's out, folks. Might as well get used that reality.

You're going to feel awful stupid, if she wins. The only way she couldn't win against Obama, is if the Dems run someone in his place, which I fully expect them to do.

Yeah, they would feel stupid at that point. That thought alone would almost make it worth voting for her. ;)
Do not count "Dear Leader" out just yet. If you will recall we were ready to write "Slick Willie" off at this point in his first term too. A lot can happen in the next year or two. If we cease to take him seriously, we do so at our own peril.

The whole country is going to feel stupid a couple years later if she wins.

Will there be a substantial difference between governance in terms of outcomes, not just what the party claims it will do? Not really.

I wouldn't vote for Obama or Palin. I'd vote independent or not at all.

Either way, it's too early to say who I'll support. Can Palin get the presidency? Sure, I don't see why not. She has a large, fanatical support base just like other candidates (Ron Paul comes to mind in terms of the persistence of his base), and the media isn't overwhelmingly against her, at least as far as television viewership and radio goes. The stuff about her lack of intelligence/experience is the same c*** thrown about in an election, I can't see it significantly hurting her, especially when the Republican base doesn't necessarily want someone with experience/intelligence, but someone who they view as honest.

How devastated would I be if she won? Not a huge amount. The Presidency is universally overestimated anyway, Congress is arguably much more important.

Sure... she could win it. You can find my earlier analysis of her chances here.

Last edited:
Not a chance in hell she'll ever win... This country is not that stupid...

I love these stories that keep saying she could never beat Obama... you know they're getting under skin and taunting her to run... Dumb twit is just ignorant enough to try.

An Independent run would be classic. Pay-back for Nader in 2000.

It seems that the dems are desperate to keep her afloat. They know she would be the easiest to beat, by faaaar.

Not only that, but if she runs, the dems will take back the house. It will be the biggest loss since McGovern.

Back
Top Bottom