• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Could "north colorado" be america's 51'st state?

Unitedwestand13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Aparentlly 10 of Colorado's northeastern counties want to succeed from the rest of Colorado and form their own state!

Could "North Colorado" be America's 51st state? - CBS News

There's a growing effort to create a 51st state out of parts of northeast Colorado and southwestern Nebraska.

Ten counties started talking about seceding last month. Now some people in Lincoln and Cheyenne counties say they want to join a new state they'd call "North Colorado," reports CBS Denver station KCNC-TV.

Organizers of the secession effort say their interests are not being represented at the state Capitol. Representatives from the 10 counties held a meeting on Monday in the town of Akron in Weld County to begin mapping the boundaries for the new state they say will represent the interests of rural Colorado.

The secessionist movement is the result of a growing urban-rural divide, which was exacerbated after this year's legislation session, where lawmakers raised renewable energy standards for rural electric co-ops, floated bills increasing regulations on oil and gas and passed sweeping gun control.

The creation of a new state comes with risks. A new state would have to draw up new water agreements, which are critical to agriculture and uses 85 percent of Colorado's water. Supporters say it also comes with new opportunities.

"I say 80 percent of the oil and gas revenue in the state of Colorado is coming out of northeastern Colorado - Weld, Yuma County and some of other counties," Weld County Commissioner Sean Conway said. "Seventy percent of the K-12 funding is coming off the state lands in Weld County alone. I'm telling you, we are economic drivers."

But not everyone is in favor of the plan.

"I don't want be in a 51st state. I don't want any part of their fracking that they're doing in Weld County," Washington County resident Steve Frey said.

i think this is a bit rash on the part of the successionists

The need to come up with a better name like Coloraska or AskaColor.

Up to them but do not be surprised to see more of this. I am sort of surprised that most of VA has not asked to become part of WV, or that PA has not split in two or threes.

Up to them but do not be surprised to see more of this. I am sort of surprised that most of VA has not asked to become part of WV, or that PA has not split in two or threes.

yeah but imagine the headache's that come with creating a new state. they have to get the approval of both the voters and state legislature, submit their own state Constitution for approval by the congress, create a whole bunch of new laws. and then there has to be new senators and congressmen to represent the new state.

and apperently one of the whole reasons behind this movement is because of a bill that the govoner signed into law last june.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_23394636/bill-double-rural-renewable-energy-floor-signed-into

Last edited:
How about Bob?

yeah but imagine the headache. the have to get the approval of both the voters and state legeslature, submit their own state Constitution for approval by the congress, create a whole bunch of new laws. and then there has to be new senators and congressmen to represent the new state.

Well, they can cut and paste most of that and just Find and Replace references to the State Name. It will take a good research assistance like two days to create all that paper. The rest can be knocked out with a few votes.

its 2013, this never happens, their cant be a solid enough case made to even think it will

How about Bob?

If it were me, I would make up a state name 42 letters long with only maybe 5 vowels so it would be so hard to say or spell, nobody would be talking smack about us and they would just leave us the heck alone.

I imagine the end is near for many states and the United States as a whole.

In reality, geographical borders and nations can only exist for so long. Just look at history.

Well, they can cut and paste most of that and just Find and Replace references to the State Name. It will take a good research assistance like two days to create all that paper. The rest can be knocked out with a few votes.

but with the current state of the congress in Washington D.C right now i don't think north Colorado would be recognized anytime soon.

but with the current state of the congress in Washington D.C right now i don't think north Colorado would be recognized anytime soon.

Well I am pretty sure the GOP in the House would support a succession movement funded by big oil. As for the Senate, everybody has their price.

I don't know about that but it's not like they have to be a state anytime soon.

Functioning as a separate country would probably be well within their best interests anyway.

If they want to free themselves from the liberals fleeing from Cali to Boulder I support them.

Aparentlly 10 of Colorado's northeastern counties want to succeed from the rest of Colorado and form their own state!

Could "North Colorado" be America's 51st state? - CBS News

i think this is a bit rash on the part of the successionists

Not a chance. I live in Eastern Washington most of the year, and there is a lot of talk about joining up with Eastern Oregon and splitting off into a new state. From what I can tell it has the most momentum towards it of any possible state split except maybe Michigan's upper peninsula, and they are still nowhere near making it happen.

are things really that hopeless in your state?

It's that hopeless in all states.

We're a very polarized country right now, it doesn't look like that's going to soon change, and there is no real reason that has to continue. You've listed your lean as liberal where I'm more conservative. I'm sure you're a good enough guy but there is probably very little we agree on politically so why do we have to fight over politics all day long? It's just better for you to go your way and me mine.

You meant 'secessionists', right?

I applaud them for taking a stand against tyranny.

IF this idea actually comes to fruition it would cause a lot of problems for the rest of Colorado. i think most of the water supply and agriculture in the state is in the northeast counties, so basically this creation of a new state would deprive Colorado of resources.

i personally don't think this movement to secede will come to anything though, i don't think enough people in Colorado would support it.

It's that hopeless in all states.

We're a very polarized country right now, it doesn't look like that's going to soon change, and there is no real reason that has to continue. You've listed your lean as liberal where I'm more conservative. I'm sure you're a good enough guy but there is probably very little we agree on politically so why do we have to fight over politics all day long? It's just better for you to go your way and me mine.

"united we stand divided we fall". personally i am more for trying to keep this country united then break it apart.

"united we stand divided we fall". personally i am more for trying to keep this country united then break it apart.

Sure but you want to keep it together while making it more and more liberal.

And I get that is what your half of the population wants but it isn't what the other half wants.

Last edited:

well you dont have to worry it isnt breaking apart and there will not be any north Colorado, its inane to even think so or want that. In 2013 a need for these things are nearly non existent.

well you dont have to worry it isnt breaking apart and there will not be any north Colorado, its inane to even think so or want that. In 2013 a need for these things are nearly non existent.

Not to mention, even if they did succeed they would not automatically become a State if I'm not mistaken.

Aparentlly 10 of Colorado's northeastern counties want to succeed from the rest of Colorado and form their own state! Could "North Colorado" be America's 51st state? - CBS News i think this is a bit rash on the part of the successionists
This is the first of what may be many such movements.

In California, if you hacked off all of the coastline just 20 miles inland down the entire state, you'd have a strongly conservative state.

But that comparatively tiny seaside portion of California is so dominantly big-city wealthy and overcrowded liberal in composition that California leans strongly left on many issues, with pot legalization looming and the oxymoronic SS "marriage" confirmed.

It's all about big cities v. rurual country, each comprised of diffierent sets of philosophies of life and needs.

One day, though, states will be irrelevant, as we will wake up, hopefully long before civil war forces our hand, and realize that demographics cannot be artificially drawn, and, that they mean a ton with regard to political philosophy.

How about Washington DC be the 51st state? There's people there who don't enjoy the protections of living in a state that every other American enjoys.

Back
Top Bottom