• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Could Going Vegan Save Millions Of Lives?

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Having a vegan friend may make it harder for you to choose a weekly brunch spot, but according to a new study, the small vegan population might just have the right idea. Turns out, going vegan could be the key to saving both the planet and millions of lives.

According to researchers at Oxford University, worldwide veganism would also save some $700 billion to $1 trillion per year on health care, and cut food-related emissions by 70 percent. The findings, published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, mark the first time that researchers have looked into the impact of a worldwide vegan diet on health and climate change.

So the next time you reach for that Quarter Pounder or wolf down that pepperoni pizza, you might want to reconsider — and opt for a falafel instead.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/en...us_56fe75fde4b0a06d58056f03?section=australia

Having a vegan friend may make it harder for you to choose a weekly brunch spot, but according to a new study, the small vegan population might just have the right idea. Turns out, going vegan could be the key to saving both the planet and millions of lives.

According to researchers at Oxford University, worldwide veganism would also save some $700 billion to $1 trillion per year on health care, and cut food-related emissions by 70 percent. The findings, published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, mark the first time that researchers have looked into the impact of a worldwide vegan diet on health and climate change.

So the next time you reach for that Quarter Pounder or wolf down that pepperoni pizza, you might want to reconsider — and opt for a falafel instead.

I strongly agree with everything you say. Unfortunately, I am addicted to meat...and almost every time I eat meat, I think of my personal hypocrisy, especially given the increasing body of evidence that yeah, animals ARE aware to a greater extent than we thought...and it bothers me deeply. That's why I earnestly look forward to the days of vat-grown meats - while they may or may not be healthier, they'd be at a far lower cost to the environment, and no animals need to die as a result. I really am confident that we'll have vat-grown meat one day...and even if it doesn't taste that good, put enough good bbq sauce on it, and it will still be good.

The one trick pony is sooooooooo boring.

You must have fun 'round here ;)

Looking at the study, as I expected, most of the savings are in reducing or cutting out red meat. We don't have to go the whole hog (heh) to have a big beneficial effect on health and the environment.

I don't have a vegan friend, and I don't do brunch. Don't see a reason to invent the problem.

No...

I will also not be doing anything differently.

I strongly agree with everything you say. Unfortunately, I am addicted to meat...and almost every time I eat meat, I think of my personal hypocrisy, especially given the increasing body of evidence that yeah, animals ARE aware to a greater extent than we thought...and it bothers me deeply. That's why I earnestly look forward to the days of vat-grown meats - while they may or may not be healthier, they'd be at a far lower cost to the environment, and no animals need to die as a result. I really am confident that we'll have vat-grown meat one day...and even if it doesn't taste that good, put enough good bbq sauce on it, and it will still be good.

Holy Moly I actually agree with you for the most part. I don't get the guilt like you do, but I don't like it at all. I just sucks that pork comes from pigs etc. Animals are wonderful and I hate to see them abused.

Just give it up.

good advice, more should give up meat or buy it from a better source. restaurants will serve you the worse. It is not news that meat and dairy cause cancers and heart disease. The gov. agency that gives us the food web or whatever they call it is a scam run by these industries just as surly as the two party system is a scam run by the thieves on Wall Street. This has been proven over and over and over. Animal protein causes cancer. Just because you are addicted to the stimulus effect and don't have the will power to give it up does not mean it's ok to eat it. Aside from being wasteful as heck and raising animals in concentration camp conditions, and being a filthy industry that has inculcated new types of diseases in the workers at their plants - it is killing you. The industry is fully aware of this and they still manipulate the media and subvert the objectivity of the gov to get you to buy this poison. The China Study and many experiments have proved this time and time again. The heir to the Baskin Robbins fortune John Robins, walked away from it all because he learned what dairy products are doing to peoples health. Of the two it would be better to give up dairy entirely, because casein protein is so extremely carcinogenic.

We shouldn't be trying to save Millions of lives.
We should be trying to reduce the population so all can enjoy what the world has to offer, whether it be meat or not.
Not bringing more in, which of course leads to even more suffering than was had previously.

We shouldn't be trying to save Millions of lives.
We should be trying to reduce the population so all can enjoy what the world has to offer, whether it be meat or not.
Not bringing more in, which of course leads to even more suffering than was had previously.

in case you never noticed, populations that are poor and not healthy reproduce the most.

May be it is not vegans that inspire us to eat healthier, but rather those who live a healthy lifestyle. I tend to hang out with athletic people who love the outdoors instead of bar hopping, beer guzzling burger pros. Nothing wrong with either, but I find little in common with them, except for summer bbqs.
Again, this is not to be derogatory, just an account of my own preferences.

Holy Moly I actually agree with you for the most part. I don't get the guilt like you do, but I don't like it at all. I just sucks that pork comes from pigs etc. Animals are wonderful and I hate to see them abused.

Don't you wish we would only eat to nourish? If we have to kill animals, it should be for minimal consumption, and raising and butchering humanely should be in everyone's interest.
I do like venison, and I do believe in hunting for population control and food supply. Hunting for sport and by those who don't even consume their kill should be outlawed. Exceptions would be donating the kill to a soup kitchen.

good advice, more should give up meat or buy it from a better source. restaurants will serve you the worse. It is not news that meat and dairy cause cancers and heart disease. The gov. agency that gives us the food web or whatever they call it is a scam run by these industries just as surly as the two party system is a scam run by the thieves on Wall Street. This has been proven over and over and over. Animal protein causes cancer. Just because you are addicted to the stimulus effect and don't have the will power to give it up does not mean it's ok to eat it. Aside from being wasteful as heck and raising animals in concentration camp conditions, and being a filthy industry that has inculcated new types of diseases in the workers at their plants - it is killing you. The industry is fully aware of this and they still manipulate the media and subvert the objectivity of the gov to get you to buy this poison. The China Study and many experiments have proved this time and time again. The heir to the Baskin Robbins fortune John Robins, walked away from it all because he learned what dairy products are doing to peoples health. Of the two it would be better to give up dairy entirely, because casein protein is so extremely carcinogenic.

Bull****. Look we get that you are stuck in this rut, but you don't have to lie. The list of diseases we get from the plant world is just as long. Never heard of listeria?

Don't you wish we would only eat to nourish? If we have to kill animals, it should be for minimal consumption, and raising and butchering humanely should be in everyone's interest.
I do like venison, and I do believe in hunting for population control and food supply. Hunting for sport and by those who don't even consume their kill should be outlawed. Exceptions would be donating the kill to a soup kitchen.

Agreed. Hunting for food and control of large heard etc is fine. It is the commercial farming of animals for food, cosmetics, firs etc that is the real problem. Animals should not be experimented on or butchered for simple vanity. If the (for instance) fir industry actually treated the animals humanly I would not have such a big bone to pick with them.

Agreed. Hunting for food and control of large heard etc is fine. It is the commercial farming of animals for food, cosmetics, firs etc that is the real problem. Animals should not be experimented on or butchered for simple vanity. If the (for instance) fir industry actually treated the animals humanly I would not have such a big bone to pick with them.

You do realize that nature doesn't treat animals humanely either, right? Time to have that talk with God. :mrgreen:

You do realize that nature doesn't treat animals humanely either, right? Time to have that talk with God. :mrgreen:

Nature does not reason, what's mans excuse? We were given dominion by God, if you are going that silly route.

Nature does not reason, what's mans excuse? We were given dominion by God, if you are going that silly route.

Yup, and a good reason not to be intentionally cruel. Not any sort of reason to avoid farming animals. Btw, that sort of thinking hasn't stopped folks from keeping pets. Why, oh why, do you keep those poor beasties in slavery? Oh the humanity! :mrgreen:

When I see your user name, this news story comes to mind. Why did you select the adjective "militant"?

India divided after Hindu mob lynched Muslim man over rumours he killed a cow and ate beef. See link below:

India divided after Hindu mob lynched Muslim man over rumours he killed a cow and ate beef

A relative holds a photograph of Mohammed Akhlaq who was beaten to death over rumours he had eaten beef

Back
Top Bottom