• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Could Going Vegan Save Millions Of Lives?

Having a vegan friend may make it harder for you to choose a weekly brunch spot, but according to a new study, the small vegan population might just have the right idea. Turns out, going vegan could be the key to saving both the planet and millions of lives.

According to researchers at Oxford University, worldwide veganism would also save some $700 billion to $1 trillion per year on health care, and cut food-related emissions by 70 percent. The findings, published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, mark the first time that researchers have looked into the impact of a worldwide vegan diet on health and climate change.

So the next time you reach for that Quarter Pounder or wolf down that pepperoni pizza, you might want to reconsider — and opt for a falafel instead.

Could Going Vegan Save Millions Of Lives?

Much of the world is already vegan. You know, the parts where people live in grinding poverty and have low life expectancy and high infant mortality?

Yup, and a good reason not to be intentionally cruel. Not any sort of reason to avoid farming animals. Btw, that sort of thinking hasn't stopped folks from keeping pets. Why, oh why, do you keep those poor beasties in slavery? Oh the humanity! :mrgreen:

An appeal to the ridicules that has nothing to do with what my post is about at all.

#1 Please point out where I said to be intentionally cruel to anything?
#2 Please point out where I said to "avoid farming animals."
#3 Where did pets come into anything I said?

Feel free to keep the "Appeal to Ridicule" fallacy going because your argument is lacking in substance.

Last edited:
An appeal to the ridicules that has nothing to do with what my post is about at all.

#1 Please point out where I said to be intentionally cruel to anything?
#2 Please point out where I said to "avoid farming animals."
#3 Where did pets come into anything I said?

Feel free to keep the "Appeal to Ridicule" fallacy going because your argument is lacking in substance.

Perhaps it was a comment about cruelty of nature..eat or be eaten. Which is fine, it is in the natural order of things.
However, when humans consume, they hurt, they often torture, they waste.
As for the rest of your argument...agreed

Perhaps it was a comment about cruelty of nature..eat or be eaten. Which is fine, it is in the natural order of things.
However, when humans consume, they hurt, they often torture, they waste.
As for the rest of your argument...agreed

Nature does not and can not reason, while we can. So again it has nothing to do with anything I have stated. It is nothing more than a red herring.

And if we all switched to being breatharian we would save trillions and there would be an end to all this talk of diet forever after. :lamo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inedia

Nope. You'd just get some GMO/Monsanto domination with plenty of money and subsidies flowing to them. Many people wouldn't pull off the vegan diet well because it takes a lot of effort/research to eat healthy on a vegan diet. So we'd be spending more on healthcare related expenses and of course the supplements industry would explode.

Nope. You'd just get some GMO/Monsanto domination with plenty of money and subsidies flowing to them. Many people wouldn't pull off the vegan diet well because it takes a lot of effort/research to eat healthy on a vegan diet. So we'd be spending more on healthcare related expenses and of course the supplements industry would explode.

that isn't true. what "supplements" do you think would be needed and how big of an industry would it be?

that isn't true. what "supplements" do you think would be needed and how big of an industry would it be?

There will need to be all sorts of supplements for nutritional value. On whole, the vegan diet is quite complicated, there's a lot of variety necessary to ensure you're getting the proper nutrients. Lots of people couldn't or wouldn't do the legwork necessary to have a healthy vegan diet. So supplements would be the answer. It's already a huge industry now with omnivores leading the pack. It will only increase once nutirent sources are further restricted and healthy diets become more complicated.

There will need to be all sorts of supplements for nutritional value. On whole, the vegan diet is quite complicated, there's a lot of variety necessary to ensure you're getting the proper nutrients. Lots of people couldn't or wouldn't do the legwork necessary to have a healthy vegan diet. So supplements would be the answer. It's already a huge industry now with omnivores leading the pack. It will only increase once nutirent sources are further restricted and healthy diets become more complicated.

I am not sure I follow. A vegan/vegetarian diet is difficult to follow, so the answer will come in the form of a synthetic supplement to replace the human needs inherent in a diet which includes meat and lacking in a vegetarian diet.

Why not let nature do the processing by running the vegetables through a cow before serving?

Sun is going to blow up and reduce the earth to ashes anyway. So we aren't really "saving" anything by going vegan.

I am not sure I follow. A vegan/vegetarian diet is difficult to follow, so the answer will come in the form of a synthetic supplement to replace the human needs inherent in a diet which includes meat and lacking in a vegetarian diet.

Why not let nature do the processing by running the vegetables through a cow before serving?

The contention is that if everyone were vegan, we'd save millions of lives. But it's simply not true, most folk wouldn't or couldn't do the legwork necessary to make healthy vegan diet, it's too complicated. So actually, we'd be putting more peoplein health risks and other things like the supplements industry would skyrocket to make up the short fall.

In the end, it is easier just to eat a fish. Vegan is not in and of itself a healthy diet. It can be if one e sides the property diversity of foods to obtain the necessary nutrition necessary for the human body. But there are many many ways that sort of diet can go pear-shaped.

Back
Top Bottom