• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Could George W Bush Mediate the Impasse?[W:93]

Could George W Bush Mediate the Impasse?

• Total voters

aberrant85

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Here's a hypothetical: if Bush were to come out of hiding and announce his support for re-opening the gov't and raising the debt ceiling, would that have any effect?

Or do Dems and Repubs equally loathe him and it wouldn't make a difference?

rocket88

Mod Conspiracy Theorist
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Here's a hypothetical: if Bush were to come out of hiding and announce his support for re-opening the gov't and raising the debt ceiling, would that have any effect?

He'd just get called a RINO. TP was never that thrilled with him in the first place.

Cardinal

Respected On All Sides
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

What made you think of George W. Bush for that? :confused:

CanadaJohn

Canadian Conservative
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

Why would GWB do anything to save Obama's ass, the guy who's blamed every one of his multitudinous failures on Bush? If Bush got involved, which he never will, Obama and his flunky liberals, perhaps like you, would blame Bush for not solving it.

I respect GWB a lot, as a President and as a man. I can't think of one "impass" Bush had with congress in his 8 years that didn't get solved either by Bush finding a way or Bush withdrawing the initiative. That's what leaders do, they lead.

disneydude

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Even GWB would be considered to "liberal" to deal with the wackos in the GOP these days.

shrubnose

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

The man has few friends.

aberrant85

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Why would GWB do anything to save Obama's ass, the guy who's blamed every one of his multitudinous failures on Bush?

Because Bush gets it. For all their differences, former Presidents understand the pressures of the office like no one else can. Compare his public comments on Obama to Cheney's or Rumsfeld's. He's been downright sympathetic.

I imagine him being a startling persona to interrupt this impasse because he's kind of a common enemy to each side. By pointing out how dumb this situation is and how it never happened to him might jolt some ideologues.

Cyrylek

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right

Would the head of the second most fiscally irresponsible administration in our living memory have any effect on the stalemate between the most fiscally irresponsible administration and the people who try (in the only fashion they can, really) to bring the federal government to its senses?

Uhm... No.

CanadaJohn

Canadian Conservative
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Because Bush gets it. For all their differences, former Presidents understand the pressures of the office like no one else can. Compare his public comments on Obama to Cheney's or Rumsfeld's. He's been downright sympathetic.

I imagine him being a startling persona to interrupt this impasse because he's kind of a common enemy to each side. By pointing out how dumb this situation is and how it never happened to him might jolt some ideologues.

When Bush left office, he said he was out of politics and he would not be commenting on Washington and his successor in the Oval Office. He is a man of his word, and he should be respected for keeping it.

Unlike Clinton and Carter, and I'm sure Obama when he's gone, the Bush men have been loathe to criticize or play the game of former Presidents saying what they'd do. The job is hard enough without some know-it-all in the wings commenting on it. Bush suffered from the insufferable Clinton and Carter commenting on his every move and he swore he'd never do the same no matter who got elected after him. I say, good on him and God bless him for it.

zgoldsmith23

Antichrist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I don't see it. To Democrats and Liberals, he's too Conservative. To Conservatives and Republicans, he's too Liberal.

Painter

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Why would GWB do anything to save Obama's ass, the guy who's blamed every one of his multitudinous failures on Bush? If Bush got involved, which he never will, Obama and his flunky liberals, perhaps like you, would blame Bush for not solving it.

I respect GWB a lot, as a President and as a man. I can't think of one "impass" Bush had with congress in his 8 years that didn't get solved either by Bush finding a way or Bush withdrawing the initiative. That's what leaders do, they lead.

I find it entertaining that you think it would "save Obama's ass".
The GOP made a huge mistake and is paying the price. Will pay dearly in 13 months.
If the GOP fails to find a way to crawl out of their failed extortion tactics, it will only benefit Obama and Democrats.
I think even if the GOP does crawl out, they have already doomed themselves.

DiAnna

Hooter Babe
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Only if he could marshal the military to invade the Democratic caucus to install a regime change.

Kobie

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I think the bitter taste that many on the right wing of the GOP and pretty much everyone on the Democratic side had with his presidency is a little too fresh for him to be particularly effective. Also, I really don't think that would be anything he'd be interested in, judging by what I've read about the guy.

Linc

NIMBY
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Bush-43 would begin with enforcing the promises Boehner made in late September to Reid..
But Speaker Cantor stepped in with the knife in the back.

haymarket

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
It would be useless. The tea party faction are True Believers who only put stock in those who march with them and embrace their whack job zealotry. .

CanadaJohn

Canadian Conservative
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The GOP made a huge mistake and is paying the price. Will pay dearly in 13 months.
If the GOP fails to find a way to crawl out of their failed extortion tactics, it will only benefit Obama and Democrats.

Utter nonsense.

apdst

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
The Libbos's heads would explode, if they had to side with GW on anything. The Libbos would double down in the shutdown and the shutdown would last forever.

apdst

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
It would be useless. The tea party faction are True Believers who only put stock in those who march with them and embrace their whack job zealotry. .

It's funny as hell to see Libbos make these criticisms of the Tea Party.

apdst

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative

You haven't seen Obama's numbers. Have you?

Painter

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

APACHERAT

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative

There's a long 200 year tradition in America, when a President leaves office he's suppose to stay out of the public limelight, out of public politics, never comment publicly on who's in the White House and just keeps his mouth shut.

Of the 44 Presidents this nation has had, 43 have upheld that tradition. Teddy Roosevelt and Jimmy Carter have walked the line but Clinton needs to raise his standards and get a life and hook up with a Fox News babe.

Top Bottom