• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Could Dictatorship Come To the US?

Could the US become a dictatorship?

• Yes.

Votes: 18 62.1%
  • No.

Votes: 11 37.9%

• Total voters
Loxd4 said:
Well a wise man once said "Anyone who would trade their freedom for safety deserves neither freedom or safety," and that man was Ben Franklin.

And with you like it or not the patriot act take away some of your rights. Like this whole thing about wire taping is it right or wrong, accorden to the patriot act it right....there gots some freedom

It depends on whether you're referring to natural rights or enumerated rights.

The PATRIOT act doesn't violate any part of the enumerated rights in the constitution. If you want to argue that it violates natural rights, such as "right to privacy" etc, so do many other things that we take for granted, such as the police, the income tax, etc etc.

Originally posted by KCConservative:
Why are so many liberals ashamed to say their liberal? Come on, be proud
This might be one of the few posts you have made that I agree with. Good one.

I don't think a dictatorship is likely in this country. Has anyone noticed the knee-jerk reaction the government had to the outrage American citizens had with regards to the whole Dubai affair? Has anyone taken note of how fast they acted? You see, when we all speak as Americans (instead of cons, libs, dems, reps), we get their undivided attention............fast! When we show our collective concience, they [our elected officials] listen. So all is not lost, yet.

I think so long as there are dissenting voices in this country, there will never be a dictatorship. Despite everything, I wouldn't worry about our country until there are no dissenting voices left. Once that happens, then we've got a problem.

KCConservative said:
Why are so many liberals ashamed to say their liberal? Come on, be proud. :donkeyfla

I'm not ashamed to say I'm liberal.

Originally posted by FinnMacCool
I think so long as there are dissenting voices in this country, there will never be a dictatorship. Despite everything, I wouldn't worry about our country until there are no dissenting voices left. Once that happens, then we've got a problem.
This is so true. I will not be voting conservative or Republican this fall. However, that does not mean I want conservatives or Republicans to go away. I just don't like the way they have been running things the past five years. Aside from that, we need them to keep liberals and Democrats honest. Each side has a duty to keep the other sides feet to the fire. That's the only way our system of government can work for everyone. Unfortunately, one of the key ingredients to this recipe is a well informed republic, which we do not have. Not when most of us get what we think is news from the "box" in the corner.

I have a question for those that voted yes. Are you saying with your "yes" vote that you would sit back, do nothing, and let a dictatorship take hold in this country? Are you saying you would allow this to happen? Is that why you voted "yes"?

Billo_Really said:
I don't think a dictatorship is likely in this country. Has anyone noticed the knee-jerk reaction the government had to the outrage American citizens had with regards to the whole Dubai affair? Has anyone taken note of how fast they acted? You see, when we all speak as Americans (instead of cons, libs, dems, reps), we get their undivided attention............fast! When we show our collective concience, they [our elected officials] listen. So all is not lost, yet.

Yes, we as americans can still be brought together around the rallying banner of racism and xenophobia. Thank god for that.

The fact of the matter is, yes, dictatorship CAN come to the US. It just has to go to Mexico, sneak across the border, and get a job mowing lawns in SoCal, and BAM. There it is.

Originally posted by RightatNYU:
Yes, we as americans can still be brought together around the rallying banner of racism and xenophobia. Thank god for that.
It was the best example I could come up with to make my point about the power Americans have when we are united. I was not making a statement on whether the Dubai incident was good or bad, wrong or right, at you.

How can anyone have a phobia about Xena, she's pretty hot!

The fact of the matter is, yes, dictatorship CAN come to the US. It just has to go to Mexico, sneak across the border, and get a job mowing lawns in SoCal, and BAM. There it is.
Where the hell have you been? Oh yes, east of the rockies. Here in SoCal, latino's already have the political majority and they know it. In fact, that's [political involvement] something we could learn from them (as well as car-pooling).

Billo_Really said:
Where the hell have you been? Oh yes, east of the rockies. Here in SoCal, latino's already have the political majority and they know it. In fact, that's [political involvement] something we could learn from them (as well as car-pooling).

If more than one in 3 or 4 of them were eligible to vote, they'd have a lot more impact.

If more than one in 3 or 4 of them were eligible to vote, they'd have a lot more impact.
Maybe they are eligible, but they can't make it to the polling place until their ankle bracelet is removed.

Billo_Really said:
Maybe they are eligible, but they can't make it to the polling place until their ankle bracelet is removed.

Wow. How racist is that?

Originally posted by Goobieman:
Wow. How racist is that?
How can it be racist? GySgt said I was "PC". But your right. It was a racist statement. It was also a joke. If you don't think it was amusing, I really don't care. If you do, then I want all the credit. And if you want to make a big deal out of it, talk to the hand....

KCConservative said:
Why are so many liberals ashamed to say their liberal? Come on, be proud.
I am not ashamed to say I am a liberal.

Why are so many Repugnican Fascists ashamed to say they're Fascist? Come on, be proud. :beatdeadhorse

jfuh said:
Yes so why do we still have the constitution? Perhaps we should wipe out everything that is pre-20th century. Oh wait I know, let's wipe out everything pre-9/11. That will certainly make the illegal acts of your beloved Bush inc legal.

See.... the problem with this statement above is it's just plain stupid. The constitution has been defined and redefined through ammendments and personal interpretation. It has evolved and changed in many respects. It has not stayed completely stagnant in it's interpretation. But to use a quote that has no real barring on anything due to it's age and inability to be accuratley used in this situation is silly. Again the threats of 2 centuries ago has changed. And as time has gone by the interpretation of the document that we use as a "guideline" to run our country has also in many way. :rofl

Calm2Chaos said:
See.... the problem with this statement above is it's just plain stupid. The constitution has been defined and redefined through ammendments and personal interpretation. It has evolved and changed in many respects. It has not stayed completely stagnant in it's interpretation. But to use a quote that has no real barring on anything due to it's age and inability to be accuratley used in this situation is silly. Again the threats of 2 centuries ago has changed. And as time has gone by the interpretation of the document that we use as a "guideline" to run our country has also in many way. :rofl
What happened to the Scalia notion that the Constitution should be taken literally without any changes. Exactly interrpretted as is without any modification or as bush says "Legistlating from the bench".

jfuh said:
What happened to the Scalia notion that the Constitution should be taken literally without any changes. Exactly interrpretted as is without any modification or as bush says "Legistlating from the bench".

Fine .. then the Patriot act is legal since the constitution says nothing about phone and email and library cards. Hell that sword cuts both ways it's just probably a lot sharper on your end... But 1 has nothing to do with the other .. I was using the constitution as a refrence. Ammendments have already altered the constitution defined or redifined interpretations. Unless you are going to throw those and with the BOR then interpretation is going to be a neccesity.

Back
Top Bottom