• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Could a Kremlin assassin get to Putin?

watsup

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Unfortunately, probably not:

"Could an assassin kill Putin? Just as the second world war would not have happened without the demonic will and agency of Adolf Hitler, so the invasion of Ukraine – and its horrific bloodshed and unspeakable human misery – is Putin’s war. Can he be stopped? The bad news is that the chances do not look good at the moment.

Putin is protected 24/7 by one of the world’s strongest security details, who have sealed him in a closed bubble. All access to him is strictly – almost manically – controlled, in much the same way as it was for Stalin and Hitler. The chances of a lone outside assassin like Fanny Kaplin – a Jewish Ukrainian woman, who, in 1918, fired three bullets into the Bolshevik leader Lenin, touching off a series of strokes that crippled and eventually killed the Soviet dictator – getting to the dictator are zero. If Putin is to be stopped, ousted, and arrested or assassinated, the authors of such an attempt will have to come from within the clique who surround him. Desperate times spawn desperate remedies, and only when the clique think that their own futures are directly imperiled by Putin’s increasingly dangerous actions are they likely to act.

So if the close circle of Generals and corrupt yes men on whom Putin’s power rests are sufficiently alarmed by the increasingly chaotic course of the Ukraine war and the world’s horrified reaction to it, is there the faintest chance that they will take a leaf from the playbook of Beria and Tsar Paul’s officials and end the crisis by bumping off their boss?

As the options open to the kleptocrats and and former secret policemen who Putin has protected and promoted close down, and the rage of the Russian people themselves rise, the best hope for ending this crisis may well rest with bad men acting to bring down the still worse and possibly deranged dictator who is leading them and Russia into the abyss."

Does anyone here support assassinating Putin or any head of state?

Bomb the Kremlin when he's in it.

I support assassinating Putin, just as I’m sure many Russians do as he tightens the screws on his tyranny of them. Capital punishment is often used for murderers, and he has the blood of tens of thousands on his hands over the years. If it will save the world, then it is an equitable solution.

It's not going to make any difference.... What makes Putin extraordinary is how ordinary he is.

The “ordinary” don’t blow up the world. He may have “ordinary” looks, but he has the mind of a murderous truant.

Interesting. We have Americans advocating for extra-judicial assassinations.

Very facsist. Remember folks, they're coming for you next.

Unfortunately, probably not:

"Could an assassin kill Putin? Just as the second world war would not have happened without the demonic will and agency of Adolf Hitler, so the invasion of Ukraine – and its horrific bloodshed and unspeakable human misery – is Putin’s war. Can he be stopped? The bad news is that the chances do not look good at the moment.

Putin is protected 24/7 by one of the world’s strongest security details, who have sealed him in a closed bubble. All access to him is strictly – almost manically – controlled, in much the same way as it was for Stalin and Hitler. The chances of a lone outside assassin like Fanny Kaplin – a Jewish Ukrainian woman, who, in 1918, fired three bullets into the Bolshevik leader Lenin, touching off a series of strokes that crippled and eventually killed the Soviet dictator – getting to the dictator are zero. If Putin is to be stopped, ousted, and arrested or assassinated, the authors of such an attempt will have to come from within the clique who surround him. Desperate times spawn desperate remedies, and only when the clique think that their own futures are directly imperiled by Putin’s increasingly dangerous actions are they likely to act.

So if the close circle of Generals and corrupt yes men on whom Putin’s power rests are sufficiently alarmed by the increasingly chaotic course of the Ukraine war and the world’s horrified reaction to it, is there the faintest chance that they will take a leaf from the playbook of Beria and Tsar Paul’s officials and end the crisis by bumping off their boss?

As the options open to the kleptocrats and and former secret policemen who Putin has protected and promoted close down, and the rage of the Russian people themselves rise, the best hope for ending this crisis may well rest with bad men acting to bring down the still worse and possibly deranged dictator who is leading them and Russia into the abyss."

Unless the Praetorian Guard, or a significant percentage of it, decide to be king makers, it ain't gonna happen.

What is "fascist" about extra-judicial assassinations? Or any assassinations for that matter?

The “ordinary” don’t blow up the world. He may have “ordinary” looks, but he has the mind of a murderous truant.

I think that's pretty normal for a lot of Russians. They're a pretty brutal and barbaric people. That's why they keep ending up with brutal and barbaric leaders.... people tend to get the kind of government they deserve.

Yes. Better him than the thousands of poor Russian conscripts who will be sent to pointlessly die fighting and killing Ukrainians.

I disagree. That is the path to madness.

Evidently, we've been a fascist nation since the 1950's.

Potentially tens of thousands of lives could be saved. He needs to go.

Assassination is not a pillar of law, justice, human rights, international diplomacy, or laws of war.

ASSASSINATION IN THE LAW OF WAR

You are so concerned about one murderous thug. Where is your concern for the thousands that he is now killing? Nowhere in sight, apparently.

You are so concerned about one murderous thug. Where is your concern for the thousands that he is now killing? Nowhere in sight, apparently.
The problem is that the "good guys" using assassination gives carte blanche to everyone.

Pooty is apparently trying to recruit mercenaries for Ukraine. He can't be believing his invasion's going well if he needs outsiders to support his incompetent army.

The problem is that the "good guys" using assassination gives carte blanche to everyone.

Pooty is apparently trying to recruit mercenaries for Ukraine. He can't be believing his invasion's going well if he needs outsiders to support his incompetent army.

If he would get assassinated by his own staff, so be it. The world would be much better off.

Are you joking?

If the little f***in' terrorist was here alone with me in this room right now, I'd kill him with my bare hands.

Then I'd stuff that black belt down his dead russian throat, for good measure...

Are you joking?

If the little f***in' terrorist was here alone with me in this room right now, I'd kill him with my bare hands.

Then I'd stuff that black belt down his dead russian throat, for good measure...

I believe you.

Back
Top Bottom