• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Could a good human being ever be US president?

skeptic llc

Testing
Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Just wondering what people think. My (tentative) view is that it takes so much lying and backstabbing to become that prominent, that it's impossible.

we elect the politicians we deserve

more statesmen/women and fewer politicians would be nice

but then Obama's inclination toward collaboration undermined his administration's efforts

hoping he will guide joe away from making the same mistake of believing that negotiations can be effective with today's republican incumbents

Just wondering what people think. My (tentative) view is that it takes so much lying and backstabbing to become that prominent, that it's impossible.

No intelligent, rational person is going to put themselves through the meat grinder of a presidential campaign with all the scrutiny. I’ve said it here before, 20 years from now we’ll look back and say “man, I wish we had candidates as good as we did in 2016 and 2020”.

Of course a good human being can become President. Jimmy Carter is an exceptional human being.

I'm not sure what that proves.

I think Obama is a great example of a good & decent man. So, that would seem to disprove your theory.

Yes, a good man can, his name is Donald Trump.

Also Calvin Coolidge was of impeccable moral character, which is why the left never talks about him

Calvin Coolidge was of impeccable moral character, which is why the left never talks about him

That and he was president almost 100 ****ing years ago.

Yes, a good man can, his name is Donald Trump.

Also Calvin Coolidge was of impeccable moral character, which is why the left never talks about him

Get serious. Trump is a crook who confessed to assaulting women. I learned that studying at Trump University on a grant from the Trump Foundation.

Every president in my lifetime back to Ike has been a decent, flawed human being with the exception of Nixon and Trump.

YES, a "good" human being could become President.

But he would not accomplish much.

To accomplish something, one cannot be a "good" human being.

That is to say, an effective President has to learn how to lie convincingly and how to kiss up to enemies and how to reward friends.

I think Obama is a great example of a good & decent man. So, that would seem to disprove your theory.
Unfortunately, he just played one on TV.

Obama was more like a mob boss with a clean public image, but don't be embarrassed. He fooled me into voting for him too.

Could a good human being ever be US president?

Well, I admit, that Trump has really lowered the bar for me.

In fact, he has opened the curtain, so I should, just.

I'm not very good, people call me good because I eat a pure diet and because I spent time with wild animals.

The power from the diet means that I must be good.

But the power from the diet can also create greater calamity.

I was running back before I was taking medicine for my schizophrenia.

Thanks for all the perspectives. I believe Carter and Bush Sr. were of a different era of politics that was less hostile to traits like honesty and cooperation. Clinton appeared to be a serial sexual assaulter, plus I think his political machine played a lot of dirty tricks. Bush Jr. I could almost get behind (seems like a decent person at heart, albeit largely incompetent), but I can't forgive unleashing Rove et al. on his opponents (even primary opponents) or being led around on a leash by Cheney -- seems like a good person, even a dumb one, would feel compelled to inquire about the people around him. Trump is perhaps the most vile human imaginable. So that just leaves Obama for me in the modern era. His public persona and conduct were as classy as we'll ever see in the white house, but I still have trouble believing he could advance so far without having some legbreakers working for him behind the scenes, hence my question. Politics is just so dirty and dishonest and (these days) hateful that it's hard for me to understand how anyone could rise to the top without playing the game.

Thanks for all the perspectives. I believe Carter and Bush Sr. were of a different era of politics that was less hostile to traits like honesty and cooperation. Clinton appeared to be a serial sexual assaulter, plus I think his political machine played a lot of dirty tricks. Bush Jr. I could almost get behind (seems like a decent person at heart, albeit largely incompetent), but I can't forgive unleashing Rove et al. on his opponents (even primary opponents) or being led around on a leash by Cheney -- seems like a good person, even a dumb one, would feel compelled to inquire about the people around him. Trump is perhaps the most vile human imaginable. So that just leaves Obama for me in the modern era. His public persona and conduct were as classy as we'll ever see in the white house, but I still have trouble believing he could advance so far without having some legbreakers working for him behind the scenes, hence my question. Politics is just so dirty and dishonest and (these days) hateful that it's hard for me to understand how anyone could rise to the top without playing the game.
The post tells us that “cynic” might be the better user name

Who was more of a rapist; Jefferson or Clinton?

Because of Jefferson; Clinton.

All of the last few presidents were good people, at least they tried to be, despite the compromises of high office. Nixon was a crook. Trump is a deliberate ***hole. But whether we liked or agreed with their policies or not everyone in between at some point meant well. That's the difference with the wholly self-serving scumbag in office now.

Get serious. Trump is a crook who confessed to assaulting women. I learned that studying at Trump University on a grant from the Trump Foundation.

Every president in my lifetime back to Ike has been a decent, flawed human being with the exception of Nixon and Trump.

Don't forget Saint Bill Clinton

Decent and flawed.

I think he tried to be good, but made mistakes - chiefly being having an affair. He wasn't mean spirited the way Trump is.

If we subscribe to every rumor or allegation, they must all be horrible people. But based simply on the facts we have and what we see them doing in plain sight, the previous fifty years or so have seen decent, if flawed presidents. Until now. The man in the oval office now has no decency and we see that in his daily conduct.

Unfortunately, he just played one on TV.

Obama was more like a mob boss with a clean public image, but don't be embarrassed. He fooled me into voting for him too.
I really didn't see it. He struck me as a decent guy, who had what he thought were the best interests of the country at heart.

Yes, but not unless and until this country remember what it's like to be decent to each other.
The overwhelming majority of people outside of Trumplandia are normal decent people.
In fact, the majority INSIDE of Trumplandia USED to be mostly normal decent people, UNTIL they allowed themselves to be hypnotized by the Orange Svengali.

Notice that ordinary conservatives have actually managed to become MORE civil and MORE decent in the last four or five years.
This is inversely proportional to the level to which Trumpers HAVE SUNK.
In my very humble opinion, when ordinary sane people on the side of what used to be "the loyal opposition" become MORE decent while their Trump loving counterparts become that much more evil that stands as proof that the problem is the Trumpers themselves.
Not their party, not their President....THEM!

Trump can be voted out of office, but what can we do with Trumpers after he's gone?
Trump's just the ideal carnival carney, and carneys come and go, but they are perennially toxic and growing more so by the day.

So, can a good and decent human being become President?
Certainly.
The question is, whether or not said good and decent human being will be able to find a way to lead and govern effectively.

If that's true blame the voters. Sadly most don't keep up with what is happening day to day in politics and our media certainly doesn't report events with an unbiased honesty. So voters usually vote on false information or party affiliation.

Back
Top Bottom