• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cotton Pickin...

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Wah?

Why would you say that?

Where's the outrage here, I actually feel this is a worse mistake of words then Dr. Laura, ESPECIALLY in the first video because Sanchez did immediately apologise for what he said, but I really wonder where he thought it was a good idea to say that in the first place...

****ing seriously? THIS is supposed to be some kind of issue?

It's a common phrase. I use it quite a bit. So do a lot of people. Obviously Julia Reed is one of those people too.

It means "damned" or "god damned".

Non issue.

It's a common phrase. I use it quite a bit. So do a lot of people. Obviously Julia Reed is one of those people too.

Non issue.

I was not aware of this...

I guess I figured having a black guy and cotton pickin in the same sentence was something bad.

I didn't know it was a common term.

I guess I figured having a black guy and cotton pickin in the same sentence was something bad.

Okay, well you're forgiven. :) Yes, it's a common phrase. "Wait a cotton-pickin' minute", "Out of your cotton-pickin' mind", etc. You could, in just about every case, replace "cotton-pickin" with damned or goddamned. Since saying "damned" or "goddamned" isn't always acceptable in all company, saying "cotton pickin'" is a polite way of getting the same emotive across.

I'm sure that both of the folks who used it in the videos use it regularly and didn't think twice about it. Quite frankly, why should they? Why should they treat this president differently and walk on eggshells around him simply because he's got more pigmentation than the last one?

EDIT: Sorry I got all snappy. I'm just so sick of all of this "racist this" and "racist that" bull**** that continues going on. Every time someone says it now I just want to reach out ****ing bitch slap them. :lol:

Last edited:
White people picked cotton too!

Okay, well you're forgiven. :) Yes, it's a common phrase. "Wait a cotton-pickin' minute", "Out of your cotton-pickin' mind", etc. You could, in just about every case, replace "cotton-pickin" with damned or goddamned. Since saying "damned" or "goddamned" isn't always acceptable in all company, saying "cotton pickin'" is a polite way of getting the same emotive across.

I'm sure that both of the folks who used it in the videos use it regularly and didn't think twice about it. Quite frankly, why should they? Why should they treat this president differently and walk on eggshells around him simply because he's got more pigmentation than the last one?

EDIT: Sorry I got all snappy. I'm just so sick of all of this "racist this" and "racist that" bull**** that continues going on. Every time someone says it now I just want to reach out ****ing bitch slap them. :lol:

What she said, as far as I know its just a phrase that comes from somewhere in the South where people wanted to curse but couldnt for whatever reason. Although my aunt will still ask us to pardon her language if she ever lets "cotton-pickin" slip out.

Yeah. Cotton-pickin' this or that is not a phrase with racial overtones.

Now, if they'd called him a Cottonpicker, you might have something.

But this is a non-issue. Funny thing is, I was looking up the etymology of the phrase just for kicks and giggles and there was a bit of a hubbub a while back involving Lou Dobbs and a complaint he had about Condi Rice.

Yeah. Cotton-pickin' this or that is not a phrase with racial overtones.

Now, if they'd called him a Cottonpicker, you might have something.

But this is a non-issue. Funny thing is, I was looking up the etymology of the phrase just for kicks and giggles and there was a bit of a hubbub a while back involving Lou Dobbs and a complaint he had about Condi Rice.

Classist overtones, if anything.
"Cotton-pickin" was a multi-racial endeavor, but not one that the affluent and middle classes typically stooped to (pun intended).

To call something cotton-pickin is, to borrow some other pejoratives from the same era, akin to calling it trifling or no-count. Low class.

Last edited:

Non issue.

Julia Reed, obvious from her accent, is a southern "redneck" kinda lady who it would be more common to hear it from.

The other guy though, that one might have been wrong.

Yes, Im pulling the same **** that people pulled when it mattered WHO said "African-Americans are a mongrel people"

Wah?

Why would you say that?

Where's the outrage here, I actually feel this is a worse mistake of words then Dr. Laura, ESPECIALLY in the first video because Sanchez did immediately apologise for what he said, but I really wonder where he thought it was a good idea to say that in the first place...

When Palin tweeted Dr Laura using the word "shackled" MSNBC tried to make that into a racial slurr of some kind. Ridiculous.
Everyone should just sit down and shut up, I guess.

What isn't a racial slur now anyway? The overly sensitive race baiters need a smack to the face with pure reality.

You're from South Africa and live in Canada. Of course you're not going to get it. You people aren't open minde enough to understand American lingo.

You're from South Africa and live in Canada. Of course you're not going to get it. You people aren't open minde enough to understand American lingo.

Wow apdst.

I made an honest mistake and admitted it... and you of all people on this site to say the words

"you're not open minded enough"

is about to open a rift in the space time continuum.

Wow apdst.

I made an honest mistake and admitted it... and you of all people on this site to say the words

... kind of odd that somebody from Britain and Canada, who are constantly accused as being 'too liberal' would also be accused of not being open minded enough.

White people picked cotton too!

Most of my kin over 60 picked cotton when they were kids, to earn extra money for the family.

Got nothing to do with race. Everybody hated cotton-picking so much it served as a euphemism for curse words.

Last edited:
There are folk songs dedicated to how much picking cotton sucks.

Wearing it, however, does not.

Wah?

Why would you say that?

I'll give you a pass because you don't know but it is an very common southern expression.

Example, "He's driving me out of my cotton picking mind."

Then learn the vernacular of our cotton picking country. :lamo

What isn't a racial slur now anyway? The overly sensitive race baiters need a smack to the face with pure reality.

Do brass knuckles fit over "pure reality"?

Wow apdst.

You constantly shoot off your mouth about how you know it all and the rest of us stupid; and you're not familiar with a common American colloquialism? I reckon you don't know as much as you thought. Honest mistake? No! Ignorance? Yes! Ball's in your court, mah man.

He should have ****in' googled it! It's not my problem.

You seem to have a problem of some sort this evening. Maybe you should log off and try again tomorrow, huh?

You constantly shoot off your mouth about how you know it all and the rest of us stupid; and you're not familiar with a common American colloquialism? I reckon you don't know as much as you thought. Honest mistake? No! Ignorance? Yes! Ball's in your court, mah man.

Wow. You can't even accept an apology. Guess what? It's common in your region, not mine. I've never heard the phrase used like that. I would expect it's because most of that cotton picking was done down your way. Really? You can't just accept an apology?

Here's a question for you:
Common child's game: Duck Duck ____
What goes in the blank?

Back
Top Bottom