• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Costco lifts minimum wage above Amazon or Target to $16 per hour

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

(Reuters) - Costco Wholesale Corp is raising the minimum wage for its hourly staff to $16 from next week, a dollar more than what its competitors Amazon.com Inc and Target Corp pay per hour.

The membership-only retailer’s move comes as U.S. President Joe Biden plans to raise the minimum wage to $15 per hour by 2025, and a week after rival Walmart Inc raised its hourly wage to an average of $15.

Costco's Chief Executive Officer Craig Jelinek made the announcement at a U.S. Senate Budget Committee hearing on worker wages at large companies. (bit.ly/3r6YwoQ)
=================================================================
I think this is both inflationary as well as out of whack with inflation. The $1.25 min wage I was paid in 1960 is worth today under $11. But in 1960 I lived at home & didn't have car expense.

Gee, will ya look at that.

Are they union busting like Amazon is btw?

(Reuters) - Costco Wholesale Corp is raising the minimum wage for its hourly staff to $16 from next week, a dollar more than what its competitors Amazon.com Inc and Target Corp pay per hour.

The membership-only retailer’s move comes as U.S. President Joe Biden plans to raise the minimum wage to $15 per hour by 2025, and a week after rival Walmart Inc raised its hourly wage to an average of $15.

Costco's Chief Executive Officer Craig Jelinek made the announcement at a U.S. Senate Budget Committee hearing on worker wages at large companies. (bit.ly/3r6YwoQ)
I think this is both inflationary as well as out of whack with inflation. The $1.25 min wage I was paid in 1960 is worth today under $11. But in 1960 I lived at home & didn't have car expense.
Good, It pleases me when companies recognize their workforce as valuable assets and pay them accordingly.

Good, It pleases me when companies recognize their workforce as valuable assets and pay them accordingly.

Unfortunately, companies will always think of their employees as an expense that can be readily replaced.

Based on what I was told the minimum wage in 1960 ($1.50/hr) was only worth under $11 today, so $15 is just going to raise prices & fan inflation. Look what it did to the minimum wage since 1960.

Sure, companies that want better workers should pay more. Indeed paying more than your competitors is one of the surer ways to get better workers when you want or need better workers.

This shouldn’t be confused with what minimum wage laws are about (in spite of that being what the “journalist” here appears to be doing by using the phrase “minimum wage” in this context.)

Minimum wage laws are about banning people who want to pay less for workers from doing so. If all Costco, Amazon and Target’s competitors are forced to pay $15 per hour they won’t get better workers by paying $15 per hour.

It's not 1968 and Costco isn't trying to pull MW talent....

Efficiency wages are a real thing....

Back
Top Bottom