• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cost Of Education In Major Universities Climbs To $200,000+

Campbell

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
The rich folks love it. 80% of the population can't even consider more than a community or junior college and consequently the offspring of the rich have much less competition. I might point out that they leave the military service in Republican wars to the same ones who can't afford a good education. Coincidence? I think not.

The rich folks love it. 80% of the population can't even consider more than a community or junior college and consequently the offspring of the rich have much less competition. I might point out that they leave the military service in Republican wars to the same ones who can't afford a good education. Coincidence? I think not.
You realize much of this rise is due to the government programs trying to make college more affordable. I know that seems contributory but when you realize that to try and not loose funding they have to justify their current funding they do this bu spending money on un necessary project which allows them to raise prices abd the circle continues.

So it looks like all that government assistance is working well for cost concerns. It's like when people cry about low wages and then follow that up by desiring more welfare. :cool:

pricing college out of the reach of the middle class is an exceptionally poor idea for society. i would argue that we should encourage a student to take his or her education as far as he or she can. we all benefit from an educated population.

I feel very bad for young people today - when I was university age, a three year Bachelor of Arts degree cost about $10,000 all told and was a first class ticket to a pretty good job and a secure future. Now, that same degree is worse than a highschool diploma was in my day and it might get you a full time service industry job at minimum wage or slightly above and not a career. Similarly, you could become a teacher with a highschool diploma and two years in teacher's college - a guaranteed career, if you weren't totally incompetent, with a great salary and benefits - now, you need a university degree plus those two years in teacher's college and when you finish you might get a full-time job if you're really lucky, but more likely you'll have to work as a supply teacher for years before you get in.

Add to the lousy job market, the high cost of owning a car, a home, saving for retirement, etc. - I would hate to be just starting out now. God bless all the young people struggling to find their life's calling and a path to a meaningful work and family life going forward.

You realize much of this rise is due to the government programs trying to make college more affordable. I know that seems contributory but when you realize that to try and not loose funding they have to justify their current funding they do this bu spending money on un necessary project which allows them to raise prices abd the circle continues.
This is absolute nonsense. You could just as easily blame it on scholarships.

pricing college out of the reach of the middle class is an exceptionally poor idea for society. i would argue that we should encourage a student to take his or her education as far as he or she can. we all benefit from an educated population.
It's a great idea if you think you can stomp the poor into submission when they start rioting.

Hence drones.

This is absolute nonsense. You could just as easily blame it on scholarships.

So you think it only has one cause then? :D

The rich folks love it. 80% of the population can't even consider more than a community or junior college and consequently the offspring of the rich have much less competition.
Yeah...'cause gangbangers had such high hopes for quality education so that they can be fine, upstanding citizens.

I might point out that they leave the military service in Republican wars to the same ones who can't afford a good education. Coincidence? I think not.

Your God-President started the Syria thing. He also started the Egypt thing.

...and the Hezbollah thing.

...and he's had all the time in the world to get out of Iraq and Afghanistan. What's stopping him?

It's a great idea if you think you can stomp the poor into submission when they start rioting.

Hence drones.

i don't see how this attitude gets us any closer to solving the problem. i'm pissed off about the disincentives standing in the way of higher education as well, but i'd rather solve the problem than dive off into a tangent about how much those who disagree with me suck.

As some one that just graduated from college I can speak with confidence that the real problem is all the fluff they teach. In my university if you wernt not a buisness student or a engineer your degree gave you no real skills to go out into the world and find work. Heck I just accepted a position in a postion as far from my field as you can get and that was lucky.

Yeah...'cause gangbangers had such high hopes for quality education so that they can be fine, upstanding citizens.

Your God-President started the Syria thing. He also started the Egypt thing.

...and the Hezbollah thing.

...and he's had all the time in the world to get out of Iraq and Afghanistan. What's stopping him?
Gangbangers? Lovely generalization there, since all lower-class citizens have no intentions to ameliorate their understanding of the world. I hope that was a sarcastic response, if not, it was a terribly dogmatic assertion. If I were feeling a bit more assiduous, perhaps I'd look up rags-to-riches individuals who contributed very tangible assets to society. But, since I'm not feeling that way, anecdotal referencing will be made instead. The combined income of my parents, without factoring in money lost on taxes/insurance/sustenance/vehicle upkeep, wouldn't be able to pay off $200,000 for 4 years. That's without accounting for the fact that the majority of the $55,000 a year my parents make cumulatively isn't used to simply cover basic necessities/taxes/insurance. Let's be unrealistically optimistic, and say that they have $30,000 left-over each year, and I also decide to work a good-waged full time job paying another $30,000 each year. I'll use the majority of that $30,000 to pay for rent, food, etc. In the end, I might have $10,000 to pay for my education yearly. So, unrealistically optimistically I'll have $40,000 annually to pay my school fees. So, after five years, the debt will be paid. But let's be realistic here, I'm not going to have that much to spend, nor would I be able to work a full-time job and go to college. Realistically, my parents will have to pull money out of their retirement, I'll have to juggle a part-time job with schooling, which will lower my GPA to be a travesty of my academic potential, and then when it's all said and done, I'll finish paying off school fees ten years down the road "Assuming my degree gets me a good paying job, which is a supposition at best, and an illusory hope at worst". You're not exclusively disinfranchising "gangbangers", you're depriving capable/talented individuals the best chance they have to contribute optimally to humanity.

I feel very bad for young people today - when I was university age, a three year Bachelor of Arts degree cost about $10,000 all told and was a first class ticket to a pretty good job and a secure future. Now, that same degree is worse than a highschool diploma was in my day and it might get you a full time service industry job at minimum wage or slightly above and not a career. Similarly, you could become a teacher with a highschool diploma and two years in teacher's college - a guaranteed career, if you weren't totally incompetent, with a great salary and benefits - now, you need a university degree plus those two years in teacher's college and when you finish you might get a full-time job if you're really lucky, but more likely you'll have to work as a supply teacher for years before you get in.

Add to the lousy job market, the high cost of owning a car, a home, saving for retirement, etc. - I would hate to be just starting out now. God bless all the young people struggling to find their life's calling and a path to a meaningful work and family life going forward.

I have always found it interesting that in a lot of places, a degree is a year shorter than in the US. I saw a newspaper article headline a few weeks back that I meant to go back to read but wifey tossed the paper before I could. In some state, I forget which one, there was a report that the cost of actually teaching students in their public college system accounted for less than half of the total cost of tuition at their schools. I am going to have to try to find that online because I want to know what all the other money goes to by percentage......

I have always found it interesting that in a lot of places, a degree is a year shorter than in the US. I saw a newspaper article headline a few weeks back that I meant to go back to read but wifey tossed the paper before I could. In some state, I forget which one, there was a report that the cost of actually teaching students in their public college system accounted for less than half of the total cost of tuition at their schools. I am going to have to try to find that online because I want to know what all the other money goes to by percentage......

Education, even in public universities, in the US is substantially higher than here in Canada.

Back
Top Bottom