• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Corrupt (Republican)congressman jailed for record term

KidRocks

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
CULTURE OF CORRUPTION...

Tom Delay (Indicted)

Republican Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist facing criminal and SEC investigations

GOP super-lobbyist Jack Abramoff Pleads Guilty three felony charges

Ohio's Governor Bob Taft Charged in Corruption Probe

Thomas Noe, prominent Bush fundraiser hit with a 53-count indictment

David Safavian, Bush Administration's former chief contracting and procurement official at OMB, arrested in corruption probe

And now add to the list please...

Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham was sentenced Friday to eight years and four months in federal prison for collecting $2.4 million in homes, yachts, antique furnishings and other bribes on a scale unparalleled in the history of Congress.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/03/03/cunningham.sentence.ap/index.html

Cunningham gets record bribery sentence
Hit with 8 years, 4 months for taking $2.4 million in bribes

SAN DIEGO, California (AP) -- Former Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham was sentenced Friday to eight years and four months in federal prison for collecting $2.4 million in homes, yachts, antique furnishings and other bribes on a scale unparalleled in the history of Congress.

It was the longest term ever meted out to a congressman. He was immediately taken into custody.

Cunningham, who resigned from Congress in disgrace last year, was spared the 10-year maximum by U.S. District Judge Larry Burns.

Cunningham, a Republican who resigned last year in disgrace, accepted money from defense contractors and others in exchange for steering government contracts their way and other favors...

They're about to send another GOP'er up the river here, in my state, too. But you should tread lightly friend. For every GOP criminal you give me, I can probably give you back a democrat scroundrel as well.

The first clue that they are criminals is that they are politicians to begin with. It ain't no GOP/DNC thing. It's just politics.

He shoulda been given 25 to life...

Top Democrat congressman William Jefferson facing indictment

His chief of staff pleading

Conyers facing ethics investigation

Former Governor Don Siegleman of AL indicted AGAIN.

Al State Senator Robert Bedford indicted on extortion charge

Five Democrats in St. Louis indicted for vote buying

2 Brooklyn Democrats indicted on a judicial misconduct charge

So why did you leave the Democrats out of your "culture"?

Captain America said:
They're about to send another GOP'er up the river here, in my state, too. But you should tread lightly friend. For every GOP criminal you give me, I can probably give you back a democrat scroundrel as well.

The first clue that they are criminals is that they are politicians to begin with. It ain't no GOP/DNC thing. It's just politics.

ya but there's a big difference b/t democrat corruption and republican corruption. democrat corruption is like an affair. republican corruption is like taking bribes and fraud lol.

Captain America said:

You're right. You can't be hypocrytical on this. Throw out all of the corrupt politicians and see who's left standing. It makes sense that the party in nearly absolute power would be more apt to be bribed. On the Federal level that's the GOP, in my city it's the Dems.

Dem's can ride this "culture of corruption" wave all the way to the White House if they're not afraid to lose a few of their own along the way.

hipsterdufus said:
Are you sure you have this name right?

Sorry "Roger".

For every GOP criminal you give me, I can probably give you back a democrat scroundrel as well.

aint that the truth. anyone that is blindly partisan enough to believe only one party is guilty of corruption needs a wake up call.

I wasnt even LOOKING for comparables from the other party when I read the article on cunningham

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,186720,00.html

The longest term meted out to congressmen in the past four decades had been eight years, handed to former Rep. James Traficant, D-Ohio, in 2002 for taking payoffs, and to former Rep. Mario Biaggi, D-N.Y., in 1988 for extorting nearly $2 million from a defense contractor.

corruption clearly crosses party lines.

How sad!

Randy 'Duke' Cunningham became one of the most highly decorated U.S. Navy pilots in the Vietnam War. The first fighter ace of the war, he received the Navy Cross, two Silver Stars, fifteen Air Medals, and the Purple Heart.

His F-4J Phantom was hit by a SAM over Nam Dinh, rather than eject and almost certainly become a POW, he maneuvered his damaged aircraft over the South China Sea, where he and his RIO, Lt. (jg.) Willie 'Irish' Driscoll ejected and were rescued.

His Vietnam heroics was the subject of a Military channel documentary.

He completed the Navy’s "Top Gun" Fighter Weapons School in 1967 and later was a Top Gun instructor.

After he retired as a commander in 1987, he became Dean of The National School of Aviation, and started his own aviation marketing company, Top Gun Enterprises.

He survived the brutal atrocities of war, but succumbed to the almighty dollar. :(

ProudAmerican said:
I wasnt even LOOKING for comparables from the other party when I read the article on cunningham

You didn't really expect the conservative biased news media to report on a Republican culture of corruption without mentioning a Democrat, did you?

Ya know the ol' 'But Mommy He Did It Too' defense....LOL :lol: :2wave:

Note to Mods" Can you merge this with the other Duke thread here and move them both to the political scandal of the day thread?

Merci beaucoup!

KidRocks said:
CULTURE OF CORRUPTION...

Tom Delay (Indicted)

Republican Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist facing criminal and SEC investigations

GOP super-lobbyist Jack Abramoff Pleads Guilty three felony charges

Ohio's Governor Bob Taft Charged in Corruption Probe

Thomas Noe, prominent Bush fundraiser hit with a 53-count indictment

David Safavian, Bush Administration's former chief contracting and procurement official at OMB, arrested in corruption probe

And now add to the list please...

Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham was sentenced Friday to eight years and four months in federal prison for collecting $2.4 million in homes, yachts, antique furnishings and other bribes on a scale unparalleled in the history of Congress.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/03/03/cunningham.sentence.ap/index.html

Cunningham gets record bribery sentence
Hit with 8 years, 4 months for taking $2.4 million in bribes

SAN DIEGO, California (AP) -- Former Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham was sentenced Friday to eight years and four months in federal prison for collecting $2.4 million in homes, yachts, antique furnishings and other bribes on a scale unparalleled in the history of Congress.

It was the longest term ever meted out to a congressman. He was immediately taken into custody.

Cunningham, who resigned from Congress in disgrace last year, was spared the 10-year maximum by U.S. District Judge Larry Burns.

Cunningham, a Republican who resigned last year in disgrace, accepted money from defense contractors and others in exchange for steering government contracts their way and other favors...

This is why we need to ban lobbying,political conrtibutions from businesses and other groups.

The only *** politicians should be kissing is our asses the voters who elected them.

hipsterdufus said:
Note to Mods" Can you merge this with the other Duke thread here and move them both to the political scandal of the day thread?

Merci beaucoup!

I bet saying thanks a lot in French makes you feel better doesn't it?...

sad...

Stinger said:
Top Democrat congressman William Jefferson facing indictment

His chief of staff pleading

Conyers facing ethics investigation

Former Governor Don Siegleman of AL indicted AGAIN.

Al State Senator Robert Bedford indicted on extortion charge

Five Democrats in St. Louis indicted for vote buying

2 Brooklyn Democrats indicted on a judicial misconduct charge

So why did you leave the Democrats out of your "culture"?

Because kidrocks is blinded by his own hate and posts accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom