• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Corporate Scientists Attack Greenpeace over GMO opposition

AtlantaAdonis

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...laureates-take-on-greenpeace-over-gmo-stance/

It is depressing to see how corporate money has infiltrated science so that even a bunch of Nobel Prize winners have even been corrupted.

Do we really need to feed the exploding populations of the third world? I'm sorry a lot of those kids are going blind and have Vitamin A deficiency, but there's millions of starving kids and only 1 planet. Let's focus on getting adequate contraception and female empowerment to these populations instead of risking everyone's health with mutant plants.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...laureates-take-on-greenpeace-over-gmo-stance/

It is depressing to see how corporate money has infiltrated science so that even a bunch of Nobel Prize winners have even been corrupted.

Do we really need to feed the exploding populations of the third world? I'm sorry a lot of those kids are going blind and have Vitamin A deficiency, but there's millions of starving kids and only 1 planet. Let's focus on getting adequate contraception and female empowerment to these populations instead of risking everyone's health with mutant plants.

Scientific consensus on GMO safety stronger than for global warming

Maybe we can sell them GMO food that has contraceptive hormones in them.

Maybe we can sell them GMO food that has contraceptive hormones in them.

I think you've misunderstood. Liberals and progressives are about giving people choices about things like abortion and contraception and child birth.

The EU has been trying to show that GMOs are dangerous for twenty years and couldn't. They are fine and fighting them is morally abysmal.

I think you've misunderstood. Liberals and progressives are about giving people choices about things like abortion and contraception and child birth.

No they aren't. They are about tutting, what the swarm says is good.

The EU has been trying to show that GMOs are dangerous for twenty years and couldn't. They are fine and fighting them is morally abysmal.

Science has proven that GE crops are dangerous

It's rather convenient for you to be able to immediately reject any opposing opinions like that.

One of the points of the whole GMO/Monsanto crap was to produce crops resilient to Roundup and such so they can hyper spray the crops with all sorts of stuff.

"Hyper spray." That sounds scientific.

How evil of you.

The genes for golden rice are already out there in the natural world.

You just want to focus on your guilt trip and fashon for looking green rather than doing good.

A major reason to be traped in poverty is the endless disease problems in such a situation. By making life more healthy the efficency of the local economise in the third world can become productive enough to allow progress.

It seems to me that the focus is that GMO is not proven to be safe. Not that they are claimed to be unsafe. What if another 10 years, some types are shown to cause irreversible damage to people's bodies?

How can anyone with a sound mind, be concerned with someone shining the light on the corrupt organization known a GreenPeace?

The research into the cross epigenetic effects of GMO crops on neighboring heirloom species is still in its infancy, and may even be deliberately underfunded in order to prevent further opposition to GMO. There are a lot of unanswered questions.

Either way, I demand a right to know if I'm eating GMO or not, not just because the modified foods themselves may be having unknown actions in the human body, but because GMO drops can withstand high degree of chemical saturation without dying, which means higher chemical burden for anyone eating that. IBS, IBD, leaky gut and other bowel diseases have skyrocketed in the U.S. in the past 10 years. Diseases like ulcerative colitis have risen by something like 400% in the past 12 years. Clearly the food system needs some reform.

We already know from ground reports that 48 hours before some crops go to market, they are saturated with pesticides and herbicides to such a degree that workers are advised not to enter the fields without hazmat suits.

People have a right to know what they're eating. Also, the political lobbying by Monsanto and other huge food corps is really gross. They are trying to take over the food system, blatantly, so that there are no alternatives but their crap.

The research into the cross epigenetic effects of GMO crops on neighboring heirloom species is still in its infancy, and may even be deliberately underfunded in order to prevent further opposition to GMO. There are a lot of unanswered questions.

Either way, I demand a right to know if I'm eating GMO or not, not just because the modified foods themselves may be having unknown actions in the human body, but because GMO drops can withstand high degree of chemical saturation without dying, which means higher chemical burden for anyone eating that. IBS, IBD, leaky gut and other bowel diseases have skyrocketed in the U.S. in the past 10 years. Diseases like ulcerative colitis have risen by something like 400% in the past 12 years. Clearly the food system needs some reform.

We already know from ground reports that 48 hours before some crops go to market, they are saturated with pesticides and herbicides to such a degree that workers are advised not to enter the fields without hazmat suits.

People have a right to know what they're eating. Also, the political lobbying by Monsanto and other huge food corps is really gross. They are trying to take over the food system, blatantly, so that there are no alternatives but their crap.

It's pretty simple to know if you are eating GMO.

Is it made with corn or soy?

Then it's GMO.

And your position on autoimmune disease increase is silly. There's no evidence GMO are associated, and I can give you stats on 20 diseases that have improved- is that also GMO related?

It seems to me that the focus is that GMO is not proven to be safe. Not that they are claimed to be unsafe. What if another 10 years, some types are shown to cause irreversible damage to people's bodies?

Hiding behind the unknown unknowns to prevent populations having more to eat seems disingenuous, when you loudly profess to sincerely believe in and use massive moral suasion on other countries to reduce CO2 but live from selling automobiles.

I think it is stupid when people fall totally on one side of the GMO argument.

There are proven benefits from the results of plant GE, and there have been a few disasters as well. The science is still in it's infancy stages and we will have a better understanding of it as time passes and we will learn how to benefit from it. I am more concerned with overuse pesticides than I am with a plant that was modified to resist drought. The half life of some of the pesticides being used today is pretty scary.

Plants have been modifying themselves genetically since the beginning of time.

There are proven benefits from the results of plant GE, and there have been a few disasters as well. The science is still in it's infancy stages and we will have a better understanding of it as time passes and we will learn how to benefit from it. I am more concerned with overuse pesticides than I am with a plant that was modified to resist drought. The half life of some of the pesticides being used today is pretty scary.

I agree. I however want then labelled and to have easier consumer choices.

the left is afraid of GMO and vaccinations for no reason. the right denys climate change for no reason. anti science on both side of the aisle.

the left is afraid of GMO and vaccinations for no reason. the right denys climate change for no reason. anti science on both side of the aisle.

Your observation is incorrect. You need to understand both sides before coming to a conclusion. As it stands, your conclusion is based on confirmation bias.

Please tell us what those 'disasters' are.

As far as I know, there have been precisely zero disasters.

And making someone else pay for them.

Back
Top Bottom