• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Coronavirus relief package.... 1.75 billion for new FBI building?

year2late

IIJAFM
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Can someone explain this?

Senate GOP coronavirus relief bill includes $1.75B for new FBI building at administration's request - KTVZ

How do they connect?

I get it, it is the way of congress to put pork in bills (both sides do it).....but seriously...when citizens/businesses need alot of help....why this?

Senate GOP coronavirus relief bill includes $1.75B for new FBI building at administration’s request
The Republican coronavirus stimulus proposal includes funds for the design and construction of a new FBI headquarters at the request of the Trump administration.

The bill includes $1.75 billion “for the design and construction of a Washington, D.C. headquarters facility for the Federal Bureau of Investigation,” according to the bill text.

The provision comes after the administration’s successful push for the funds caused significant problems during the intraparty negotiations. But the funding could still face an uncertain future, with at least two key Republicans withholding full support

Senate GOP coronavirus relief bill includes $1.75B for new FBI building at administration's request - KTVZ

How do they connect?

I get it, it is the way of congress to put pork in bills (both sides do it).....but seriously...when citizens/businesses need alot of help....why this?

Yep, what better time to add pork to a bill than when it is declared "crisis legislation" and not a single congress critter will even hint at requiring any "pay for" to accompany the added deficit spending. ;)

How do they connect?

As usual... Trump using power of Presidency for his pocketbook.

He needed it for his hotel.

"Emails between top officials at the General Services Administration, released Thursday by House Democrats, indicate Trump ordered the agency to move forward with the plan to demolish and rebuild the headquarters on the J. Edgar Hoover Building property rather than move the FBI to Washington's suburbs.
Former Public Buildings Service Commissioner Dorothy Robyn told the Times she met with Trump in 2013 as he was planning the Pennsylvania Avenue hotel, but his main interest in the meeting was the FBI headquarters project."

source

"Trump wants to demolish and rebuild the FBI's headquarters, the Democrats say, to preserve the site's government ownership and deny any potential competitors to the Trump International Hotel at the Old Post Office Pavilion up the street."

source

"In calling for a new “Washington, DC headquarters facility,” the provision reflects President Trump’s ongoing interest in building a new headquarters for the FBI downtown, rather than a secure campus in the suburbs that was envisioned before he took office.
Trump’s continued ownership of a hotel a block down Pennsylvania Avenue. Before Trump was elected, officials at his company raised concerns about a competing hotel possibly being built in place of the Hoover Building should the FBI relocate to the suburbs."

source

But there is more....

In 2016, Trump considered bidding on doing the project himself... I suggest you keep an eye on who gets the lucrative contract for this $2 billion project... I'll be surprised if it's going to be someone UNrelated to Trump. Unless a little bribe will be involved along the way...

Last edited:

How do they connect?

This was part of the reason that the White House and the Senate Republicans could not come to an agreement in the COVID bill. Senate Republicans did not want the FBI building in the bill, but the White House kept insisting that it be in there.

It sounds like Trump figures he is going to lose the election and he had better get everything done that he actually cares about before he leaves office. The swamp has turned into a sewer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, you're saying that you don't want the FBI to have the best facilities to solve cases?

What is wrong, specifically, with their current accommodations? What is in this “new” facility that will specifically help them? Oh yeah you don’t know, but since it is trump that wants it you will excuse anything he does.

So, you're saying that you don't want the FBI to have the best facilities to solve cases?

Get real! No one is going to believe that Trump wants the FBI to have a new building because of his great love for the FBI.

So, are trying to say it has something to do with corona virus relief?
Want money for it ask in a separate Bill.

fiscal conservatives/those against welfare are gonna raise hell about this bill.

You guys do know that trump has a hotel right down the road from his proposed new FBI building would be built, don't ya. Naaa trump wouldn't use his position to make money, would he. Originally the FBI wanted to build a new building further out of Washington for security issues but trump killed that idea, just a coincidence of course,

So, are trying to say it has something to do with corona virus relief?
Want money for it ask in a separate Bill.

That is not how congress likes to operate. Jamming an extra $1B (or $2B) of pork into a "must pass" bill totaling over $1T might make it become a small matter of contention, but not a show stopper. ;)

That is not how congress likes to operate. Jamming an extra $1B (or $2B) of pork into a "must pass" bill totaling over $1T might make it become a small matter of contention, but not a show stopper. ;)

The odds are it will not make the final cut and be included in the Bill.

One would hope not, but congress works in mysterious ways. ;)

True, the Dems might buy into it if they get more of what they want for the American People.

True, the Dems might buy into it if they get more of what they want for the American People.

Yep, having a bipartisan pork fest is a distinct possibility.

Get real! No one is going to believe that Trump wants the FBI to have a new building because of his great love for the FBI.

And you haven't told us how it is related to the corna virus emergency.....

Seems you love dodging this question and while I don't care if you answer it, I'll keep presenting it to show others how dishonest your comments really are. What is wrong, specifically, with their current accommodations? What is in this “new” facility that will specifically help them? Oh yeah you don’t know, but since it is trump that wants it you will excuse anything he does

To be fair, the Democrats pull the same crap.

I already noted that.

But realistically this one is not "the Republicans" pushing. This is Trump.

Seems like he may very well have some self serving reasons for this project.

I already noted that.

But realistically this one is not "the Republicans" pushing. This is Trump.

Seems like he may very well have some self serving reasons for this project.

He has for a while:

A plan to relocate the FBI headquarters to the Washington, D.C., suburbs was surprisingly scrapped in favor of the far costlier option of rebuilding at its existing site — which happens to sit a block away from the Trump International Hotel. American Oversight is investigating what influence the White House and the Trump Organization might have had over a decision that ensures a huge city block remains free of competition for the president’s hotel.

Trump’s Interference in the FBI Headquarters Relocation Plan - American Oversight

Filling the swamp.

Back
Top Bottom