• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Coronavirus: developing a vaccine is one problem to solve, getting people to use it is another

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Coronavirus: developing a vaccine is one problem to solve, getting people to use it is another | South China Morning Post

Vaccination hesitancy may harm the chances of reopening communities

Medical experts say rapid vaccine development is causing public anxiety but wide-scale immunisation may be the only route back to a safe society

Shanghai mother Julia Wei has been closely following Covid-19 vaccine development updates. As a frequent business traveller, she believes an effective vaccine will be the key to a return to social and economic normalcy.

Yet as progress is made – four out of seven candidates developed in China are being tested for broader safety and efficacy before they can get regulatory approval – Wei said she and her six-year-old daughter would be unlikely to voluntarily get a Covid-19 jab. The public has been told a vaccine might be available as soon as the end of this year, or early next year.

“I read that vaccine development usually takes years, but for Covid-19 it’s only several months. This is just too fast – I don’t want to be a guinea pig,” Wei said. “I will just wait until we know for absolutely sure that they are safe and effective.”
Wei is not opposed to vaccines. She has had her daughter inoculated with free government vaccines as well as some that are not part of China’s immunisation programme that Wei believed were necessary.

But concerns such as Wei’s are casting a shadow over vaccination and its potential to reopen society or allow the community to reach “herd immunity” – the concept that enough people in a population are immune to a disease that transmission becomes unlikely.
=========================================================================================
Normal hesitancy to try something radically new combined with the growing anti-vaxxer movement will combine to create a new set of immunity problems.

Coronavirus: developing a vaccine is one problem to solve, getting people to use it is another | South China Morning Post

Vaccination hesitancy may harm the chances of reopening communities

Medical experts say rapid vaccine development is causing public anxiety but wide-scale immunisation may be the only route back to a safe society

Shanghai mother Julia Wei has been closely following Covid-19 vaccine development updates. As a frequent business traveller, she believes an effective vaccine will be the key to a return to social and economic normalcy.

Yet as progress is made – four out of seven candidates developed in China are being tested for broader safety and efficacy before they can get regulatory approval – Wei said she and her six-year-old daughter would be unlikely to voluntarily get a Covid-19 jab. The public has been told a vaccine might be available as soon as the end of this year, or early next year.

“I read that vaccine development usually takes years, but for Covid-19 it’s only several months. This is just too fast – I don’t want to be a guinea pig,” Wei said. “I will just wait until we know for absolutely sure that they are safe and effective.”
Wei is not opposed to vaccines. She has had her daughter inoculated with free government vaccines as well as some that are not part of China’s immunisation programme that Wei believed were necessary.

But concerns such as Wei’s are casting a shadow over vaccination and its potential to reopen society or allow the community to reach “herd immunity” – the concept that enough people in a population are immune to a disease that transmission becomes unlikely.
=========================================================================================
Normal hesitancy to try something radically new combined with the growing anti-vaxxer movement will combine to create a new set of immunity problems.

The fact is, the CDC has every right to quarantine whomever refuses vaccine by declaring them a health risk. However, the public is more stubborn to the facts and the truth than vice-versa. Maybe a piecemeal approach. 40% say they wouldn't take the vaccine as of now.

Yes, anti-vaxxers, anti-science libertarians and anti-brain conservatives. Frankly, screw 'em. If they're too dumb to understand that these things are developed in order to help them I have no sympathy if they get sick. Nobody mourns dead idiots.

The fact is, the CDC has every right to quarantine whomever refuses vaccine by declaring them a health risk. However, the public is more stubborn to the facts and the truth than vice-versa. Maybe a piecemeal approach. 40% say they wouldn't take the vaccine as of now.

emphasis mine

Are they going to go door-to-door with their vaccination kits? Otherwise, they'd have no way of knowing.

emphasis mine

Are they going to go door-to-door with their vaccination kits? Otherwise, they'd have no way of knowing.

I think the medical world can get a fair estimate of how many people get vaccinated. The "herd immunity" threshold for vaccination is 60%, so that is reachable. I doubt there would be anything more than limited case of quarantine, as a given situation may require.

Back
Top Bottom