• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cornered: Trump escalates shutdown crisis

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

1545592280_8b3d3d015e0072ecc3771a2e7381df99.jpg

1/7/19
Donald Trump is threatening to burst out of his dead end on the government shutdown by wielding sweeping presidential power to declare a national emergency to bypass Congress and build his border wall. Trump's gambit comes as House Speaker Nancy Pelosi gears up to pile political pressure on the GOP this week with a set of bills designed to open shuttered agencies and show that Democrats can provide credible government. But since the Republican-led Senate will only act on a deal that Trump will sign, the parties remain as estranged as ever as the shutdown heads into a third week with hundreds of thousands of government workers unpaid. Trump's threat is a characteristic move from a President who often tries to escape a crisis by igniting an even bigger controversy, hoping to throw his enemies off balance and disguise his own vulnerable position. But such a declaration could ignite a legal and political firestorm if he goes ahead, escalating the bitter showdown over the wall and his hardline immigration policies into a constitutional duel over executive power. "This shutdown could end tomorrow, and it could also go on for a long time. ... It's really dependent on the Democrats," Trump said on Sunday.

But the Democrats are refusing to talk about Trump's wall while the government remains partially closed. "There's no requirement that this government be shut down while we deliberate the future of any barrier, whether it's a fence or a wall," said Democratic Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin on "Face the Nation" on CBS. "This is the first President in history who shut down his own government," he said. Opinion in Washington is divided on whether Trump actually has the power to barge ahead on his own on the wall -- despite opposition in Congress. But such power is generally seen to be limited to a time of war or genuine national crisis. Trump's declaration would likely face a legal challenge on the grounds that the situation at the border does not meet that sudden contingency. The judiciary and Congress also have the right to challenge a President's definition of a national emergency.
Such a power play would also come at a time when there are already worries about the President's impulsive leadership.

Trump declaring a "national emergency" would immediately trigger requests for a Federal restraining order by wall opponents and Constitutional lawyers.

Indicative of the utter absurdity of the mess Donald has created out of what Sam Nunberg claims to be a memory tool devised to remind Trump to talk about Immigration.

Trump supporters should just start wiring the WH with messages of support claiming an understanding that its those nasty Dems that have prevented his Wall form being built. Tell poor DonDon "its OK" and that they still "wuv him" so this mess can end.

1545592280_8b3d3d015e0072ecc3771a2e7381df99.jpg

Trump declaring a "national emergency" would immediately trigger requests for a Federal restraining order by wall opponents and Constitutional lawyers.

shrug...

Whatever gets the job done.

At least Trump isn't declaring a national emergency so he could kill the leader of a country and supply arms to terrorists. If Trump did that, he would lose my support. But declaring a national emergency to increase our national security...yeah, I support that.

Indicative of the utter absurdity of the mess Donald has created out of what Sam Nunberg claims to be a memory tool devised to remind Trump to talk about Immigration.

Trump supporters should just start wiring the WH with messages of support claiming an understanding that its those nasty Dems that have prevented his Wall form being built. Tell poor DonDon "its OK" and that they still "wuv him" so this mess can end.

This is pathetic, sad and scary, all at the same time.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/stuart...he-idea-for-donald-trumps-wall-came-from/amp/

shrug...

At least Trump isn't declaring a national emergency so he could kill the leader of a country and supply arms to terrorists. If Trump did that, he would lose my support. But declaring a national emergency to increase our national security...yeah, I support that.

What job....continuing the absurdity of campaign rhetoric acknowledged as such by Donald himself and Trump minions as some sort of weird governance? Is that the job because surely its not an actual, realistic, effective border security initiative addressing our real as opposed to imagined unauthorized immigrant issues.

I read that yesterday. It really is disheartening to realize that Trumps border wall meme was only intended by his campaign handlers as a flashcard to remind him to talk about immigration.

From there to Mexico will pay for the wall, to I'll proudly shut government down, to I'll declare a national emergency!

This guy belongs in a rubber room.

shrug...

Of COURSE you support that. You know it won't do anything at all to secure anything, but it will be a Trump win and help his ego, and that stuff is obviously very important to you.

I read that yesterday. It really is disheartening to realize that Trumps border wall meme was only intended by his campaign handlers as a flashcard to remind him to talk about immigration.

From there to Mexico will pay for the wall, to I'll proudly shut government down, to I'll declare a national emergency!

As does his base.

He threw that meat to his rally crowds, they liked it, and here we are. I'm starting to like the "Trump's Folly" label. I think we need a rubber room big enough for Trump's base.

I see you beat me to it...

These people, with their ABSOLUTE TERROR of brown folks, it's unreal! I mean it's not like illegals can vote, what in the hell incentive would an illegal have to show up at a polling place? I won't call it racism, I mean there's plenty of that, both conscious and subconscious, but to call it racism is not accurate, because it doesn't necessarily require any hatred, or even a value judgement against another ethnic groupt to fear them. It's not necessarily anything more than fearing losing that majority status, that "white privilige" that they deny even exists. If not for a bunch of fearful folk in flyover country, none of us normal humans would have to deal with this BS!

These people, with their ABSOLUTE TERROR of brown folks, it's unreal! I mean it's not like illegals can vote, what in the hell incentive would an illegal have to show up at a polling place? I won't call it racism, I mean there's plenty of that, both conscious and subconscious, but to call it racism is not accurate, because it doesn't necessarily require any hatred, or even a value judgement against another ethnic groupt to fear them. It's not necessarily anything more than fearing losing that majority status, that "white privilige" that they deny even exists. If not for a bunch of fearful folk in flyover country, none of us normal humans would have to deal with this BS!

Oh that ain’t the fifth of it.

What they truely fear is right around the corner.
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-...ecome-minority-white-in-2045-census-projects/

shrug...

You'll be back to squawking about constitutionality, legality, and the like once a Dem is president.

Back
Top Bottom