• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cori Bush Defeats William Lacy Clay in a Show of Progressive Might

Surrealistik

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Cori Bush Defeats William Lacy Clay in a Show of Progressive Might - The New York Times

ST. LOUIS — Cori Bush, a progressive activist and a leader of the swelling protest movement for racial justice, toppled Representative William Lacy Clay Jr. of Missouri in a Democratic primary on Tuesday, notching the latest in a stunning string of upsets against the party establishment.

Ms. Bush, 44, had captured nearly 49 percent of the vote by late Tuesday evening compared with 45.5 percent for Mr. Clay, according to The Associated Press. She had tried and failed to unseat Mr. Clay in 2018, but this year rode a surge in support for more liberal, confrontational politics within the Democratic Party amid the coronavirus pandemic and the national outcry over festering racial inequities.

Ms. Bush’s victory, which came on the same night that Missouri voters decided to expand Medicaid eligibility, was a significant milestone for insurgent progressive candidates and the groups, like Justice Democrats, that have backed them across the country. It showed that the same brand of politics that has helped young, liberal candidates of color unseat veteran party stalwarts in places like Massachusetts and New York could also resonate deep in the heartland against a Black incumbent whose family has been synonymous with his district for decades.

Ms. Bush now joins figures like Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, who defeated the 20-year veteran Representative Joseph Crowley in 2018, and Jamaal Bowman, who last month won a primary against Representative Eliot L. Engel, a powerful committee chairman in his 16th term representing a district straddling the Bronx and Westchester.

Krystal Ball: Cori Bush's CLASS Identity Politics Are A REBUKE To Wealthy Dem Establishment - YouTube

Another out of touch establishment fixture bites the dust. Piece by piece, slowly but surely, and despite the best wagon circling efforts of our opponents, the FDR wing is going to win back this party from the neoliberal coup of the 80s and 90s and return it to form; back to representing labour and constituents over corporations and megadonors.

Cori Bush Defeats William Lacy Clay in a Show of Progressive Might - The New York Times

Krystal Ball: Cori Bush's CLASS Identity Politics Are A REBUKE To Wealthy Dem Establishment - YouTube

Another out of touch establishment fixture bites the dust. Piece by piece, slowly but surely, and despite the best wagon circling efforts of our opponents, the FDR wing is going to win back this party from the neoliberal coup of the 80s and 90s and return it to form; back to representing labour and constituents over corporations and megadonors.

There are two stories here. The first is that someone further to the left challenged a long-seated Democratic Party congressman and defeated him.

The second is whether this makes it easier for a Republican Party opponent to take the seat.

Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

There are two stories here. The first is that someone further to the left challenged a long-seated Democratic Party congressman and defeated him.

The second is whether this makes it easier for a Republican Party opponent to take the seat.

Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

In the Missouri 1st congressional district?

Well **** maybe I don't have to leave the Democrat party after all

Given that Republicans haven't held the district since 1949, and Democrats overwhelmingly crush there as it's solid blue (Republicans were utterly decimated 4 : 1 in 2018), I'm afraid there's only one story really: a Justice Democrat and progressive defeated a heavy weight long-time incumbent in a resounding upset who had the overwhelming support of the establishment, including Pelosi's personal blessing, and far outgunned her in terms of financial resources.

Given that Republicans haven't held the district since 1949, and Democrats overwhelmingly crush there as it's solid blue (Republicans were utterly decimated 4 : 1 in 2018), I'm afraid there's only one story really: a Justice Democrat and progressive defeated a heavy weight long-time incumbent in a resounding upset who had the overwhelming support of the establishment, including Pelosi's personal blessing, and far outgunned her in terms of financial resources.

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. The various races for congressional seats are well worth watching this election cycle. I'll be paying particular attention to those Republican incumbents who are A) not in a gerrymandered 'safe' district and B) do not make mention of President of the United States of America Donald trump in their re-election palaver.

Well **** maybe I don't have to leave the Democrat party after all

Demographic changes are starting to take affect over the last 2.5 years or so and things will get much better if we can undo gerrymandering as well.

I applaud the Dems for trying to get rid of some of the career politicians that really don't have our best interests at heart. God knows we have them in both parties. What concerns me is that the Dems are now going to have to split into two separate parties. They are going much more liberal than the typical Dem voter. What happened to the moderate Democrat?

What concerns me is that the Dems are now going to have to split into two separate parties.

No, if anything the Dems will become a legit opposition party instead of just being a slightly-less-****ty alternative to the Republicans and actually have meaningful proposals for the American people that aren't just hollow, Machiavellian hot air bull****.

Yup!

I see you caught the full thrust of my post.

I believe the poster couldn't believe your conclusion. the 1st Missouri CD is the 29th most reliably D district in the country, and the most reliably D district in Missouri. Ms Bush effectively just won the seat.

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. The various races for congressional seats are well worth watching this election cycle. I'll be paying particular attention to those Republican incumbents who are A) not in a gerrymandered 'safe' district and B) do not make mention of President of the United States of America Donald trump in their re-election palaver.

Sure. I just wanted to point out that your read of the win either completely missed the essence and implications of what happened, or was (hopefully not) a conscious minimization of it.

Relative to the internal shift and power struggle currently taking place within the Democratic party, the defeat of such an entrenched incumbent like William Lacy by Cory Bush is no small thing.

Progressives, we are on the upswing!

giphy.gif

Demographic changes are starting to take affect over the last 2.5 years or so and things will get much better if we can undo gerrymandering as well.

To be clear, this definitely wasn't a win predicated off of demographics (trying to excuse wins as being about racial affinities is ironically a favourite tool of establishment Dems in terms of minimizing progressive success; recall Pelosi's agitated dismissal of AOC's initial victory) so much as ideology, policy and substance, though I agree changes in demography are indeed of great help to the progressive cause.

Given the fact that she couldn't even manage to get 50% or more than 50% of the democratic vote is telling.

Given the fact that she couldn't even manage to get 50% or more than 50% of the democratic vote is telling.

It certainly is telling of the fact that there were more than two candidates, I agree.

Last edited:
Sure. I just wanted to point out that your read of the win either completely missed the essence and implications of what happened, or was (hopefully not) a conscious minimization of it.

Relative to the internal shift and power struggle currently taking place within the Democratic party, the defeat of such an entrenched incumbent like William Lacy by Cory Bush is no small thing.

Hi!

I certainly agree with you. We're seeing 'young Turks' of a decidedly progressive stripe replacing those on the center-left. A case can be made that if Democrats move further left, more middle-of-the-road voters might heed the siren song of the right/conservatives.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

It certainly is telling of the fact that there were more than two candidates, I agree.
Lmao, shhhhh, he doesnt remember Trump didnt win 50% of the vote.

He's one of those guys.

------------------------

Thought had by person at the White House: If you can remember, man, woman, car, camera, TV, you are fit to lead a country and no one has anything to worry about

Hi!

I certainly agree with you. We're seeing 'young Turks' of a decidedly progressive stripe replacing those on the center-left. A case can be made that if Democrats move further left, more middle-of-the-road voters might heed the siren song of the right/conservatives.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

Such a case could be made if most independents didn't consistently agree more with progressive pillar positions than conservative ones, but yes, I can see how in certain specific ridings a more progressive lean could potentially be a liability; as a rule and in general though, the opposite is true.

Such a case could be made if most independents didn't consistently agree more with progressive pillar positions than conservative ones, but yes, I can see how in certain specific ridings a more progressive lean could potentially be a liability; as a rule and in general though, the opposite is true.

Hi!

Thank's for replying.

This will be one of the most interesting elections I've witnessed, and I trace back to FDR.

Back
Top Bottom