• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cops tase 11 year old

Again, the 'poor wittle girl' defense.

Disparity of force and risk are "real" things. So yes, her size and mental maturity do factor into any response or restraint.

Maybe the cop could have walked faster than her and then restrained her? :roll:

She's an 11 year old girl. Cops can't handle that kind of strength. This is a job for Captain America.

Yeah. They really should just let criminals go. No sense in arresting people for things like theft, drugs, minor assault, robbery, burglary, vehicle theft, home invasions, etc. You never know if you’re dealing with a good kid who just made a mistake. You sure don’t want to impede their path to success in life by sticking them with a criminal record. Furthermore, just because someone flees the scene of a crime or resists questioning regarding a complaint doesn’t mean they are bad people. Maybe they are just scared and confused.

Or, the cop could have just walked faster than her and restrained her :roll:

Were the cops so in fear of their lives that they had to taser an 11 year old girl because they couldnt handle her physically?

And what would the outrage be if the police put their hands on an 11 year old girl? Their policy said they could use the taser.
The officer's are in a no win situation. Maybe they should have just let the kids steal the stuff and go about their business.
It seems the public would be happy with that result. Any wonder why police officer's across the country have disengaged?

And what would the outrage be if the police put their hands on an 11 year old girl? Their policy said they could use the taser.
The officer's are in a no win situation. Maybe they should have just let the kids steal the stuff and go about their business.
It seems the public would be happy with that result. Any wonder why police officer's across the country have disengaged?

Uh...their policy also includes restraining people, including an 11 yr old girl, with their hands. As seems obvious, there's often outrage over tazing ADULTS in the media. So why wouldnt they at least try the more minimal use of force first?

THere doesnt seem to have been any attempt to do so. They confronted her, she walked away, and they tazed her in the back.

Basically, it was unnecessary escalation of force. Callous expedience.

Just dumb luck.

Not really.. serious long term injury is very rare with tasers. Heck.. I have been tased in training.
One of the taser barbs penetrated her spine. A lawsuit is definitely on the way. Book it.

Yeah no.. they don't have that force to blow through bone.

Now a lawsuit in an emotionally charged think like this? most assuredly.

But.. she isn;t going to have much in the way of damage or even pain and suffering.

As compared to a cop dislocating her shoulder, or other damage from a physical takedown.

If the officer grabbed her to restrain her, he might have caused her to break a nail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just let the little thief go? That’s sure protecting and serving.
If the officer grabbed her to restrain her, he might have caused her to break a nail.

:lol: <not so much>

So then the level of force that police use should be based on messing up the suspect's appearance? :cool:

Do you or dont you support the level of force they used on the girl?

You have film. A quick trip to the local school solves all problems without resorting to child abuse. It's just a CANDY BAR. There is no need for immediate apprehension.

Face it. If Donesha were white this would have never happened.

You don't have film. You have her running away. When you go to the local school.. there is no evidence that she took anything.

We know what exactly she took after the fact.

Face it. If Donesha were white this would have never happened.

NEVER happened? Nope.

But.. it certainly is more likely to happen with a black child.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Or her arm.. or her leg, or her back or neck.

Cincinnati cops use Taser on 11-year-old girl caught stealing from Kroger supermarket

kroger-d12d5338-f56c-4844-a1c1-34ced92d0546-large16x9-kj12kenardkroger-frame-1795.png

Unless their safety is threatened with a weapon, I see no reason for police officers to use a taser on an 11 year old girl suspected of misdemeanor theft (shoplifting).

Related: Taser used on 11-year-old who stole food, Cincinnati police say

I thought a taser was meant to replace deadly force, an alternative to shooting. Seems to have become an alternative to physical exertion for lazy cops.

I think we need to be tasing more 11 year olds and this wouldn’t happen as much

There is a good chance that child was sent into kroger to steal by her parents. Don't blame the child, blame the parents.

If she stole food that would raise some important questions, but do we know that was what she was stealing? While Kroger’s doesn’t carry things like clothes and jewelry they do carry things other than food.

The article said it was food.

The article also says she was released to a guardian, not specifically a parent.

I wonder what the situation is there where she lives.

Uh...their policy also includes restraining people, including an 11 yr old girl, with their hands. As seems obvious, there's often outrage over tazing ADULTS in the media. So why wouldnt they at least try the more minimal use of force first?

THere doesnt seem to have been any attempt to do so. They confronted her, she walked away, and they tazed her in the back.

Actually there is a high risk of injuring the girl when they put their hands on her.

What probably should have happened is that they just should have followed her to the point where she just gave up. I would have followed her and told here "look if you just give me what you took the store would probably let this go.. but instead you are going to end up in juvenile detention for something stupid"..

Heck.. lie like a rug and tell her she won't even get charged if she just stops and gives up and comes back to the store.

That's what I see is a problem.. the police aren't able to use their brains in these situations.. they are taught they have to have immediate control.. and THEN they have that worry if they put their hands on someone they will get in trouble.

What is odd about this case is when they confronted her inside the store.

They didn't give her a chance to pay for the items.

I thought it wasn't shoplifting until the suspect leaves the building.

It also doesn't say they opened her backpack inside the store so at the time she was tazed, it was still an assumption on the part of the officer that she had actually done anything wrong.

There needs to be an investigation into this. I am sure the store has cameras.

Actually there is a high risk of injuring the girl when they put their hands on her.

What probably should have happened is that they just should have followed her to the point where she just gave up. I would have followed her and told here "look if you just give me what you took the store would probably let this go.. but instead you are going to end up in juvenile detention for something stupid"..

Heck.. lie like a rug and tell her she won't even get charged if she just stops and gives up and comes back to the store.

That's what I see is a problem.. the police aren't able to use their brains in these situations.. they are taught they have to have immediate control.. and THEN they have that worry if they put their hands on someone they will get in trouble.

It was lazy,callous expedience IMO. They did none of those things.

And there's no risk of heart attack, etc with physical restraint. Bruising yes.

Nobody's bothered to point out (that I've seen) that tazing also removes the risks of her kicking, spitting, hitting them. So while that's not desirable in any way, it's part of their job to restrain people physically and properly. So again: IMO lazy callous expedience.

They didnt bother to try anything, we are all only speculating on how she would have reacted. How about an 11 yr old girl is also too scared to resist the cops physically? Just as possible.The point is...they didnt even bother to find out.

Also IMO, your last sentences are an excuse. This was not remotely a situation where things were happening fast. She walked away. If they cant assess situations and problem solve in that situation...then you're right, they are drastically undertrained.

Arm chair policing. Easy to sit back and gripe. Tasering in the back is the preferred location of the body to use the taser.

Arm chair policing. Easy to sit back and gripe. Tasering in the back is the preferred location of the body to use the taser.

Source for the bold? I had read that that was only "a" recommended location *once a suspect was already restrained and struggling/resisting.* Not the case here.

Also, there's no dispute that she was walking away and no other restraint methods had been attempted. So I'm not 'speculating' on much.

I am questioning the need for police to taser an 11 yr old.

Do you have anything worthwhile to add to the discussion?

A couple of points. The article says she resisted (whatever that means) and fled so presumably she was tased while fleeing and not representing any kind of danger to any one. So the use of the taser should be questioned on those grounds alone completely forgetting that she's only a kid.

You can go back to the root cause being the girl's decision to steal but that doesn't clear the cop who made a concious decision to employ a potentially lethal device against a child who didn't represent a danger to the cop. Just because someone decides to break the law it does not give LE carte blanche do treat them in any manner they desire.

I get so sick and tired of hearing this.
Cops are their to enforce the law.

Their job is also their to ensure safety of everyone.

If they chased this girl down she could get hit by a car not looking.
She could have fallen and broke something or she could have injured someone else.

If they wrestled her to the ground they could have broken, ripped or torn something trying to wrestle her.

They took what they thought was the safest way possible to ensure safety for everyone.

If they would have wrestled her down and something happen you guys would be screaming police brutality.

You're joking...

At my old job I kept a taser with me during presentations made by members of my team and if the person presenting messed something up (uninteresting pie chart, faulty statistics etc) they got tased. This management tactic increased the quality of presentations by 95%; some just couldn't cut it no matter how much electricity was forced through their bodies and were relegated to removing staples from documents, but those who got it learned how to present properly. Win-win!

:)

Back
Top Bottom