• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cops tase 11 year old

What does age have to do with anything? If a gun were involved, an 11 year old girl can pull the trigger as easily as older girls (or boys).

Size. Because duh. (Also, read the thread).

A gun wasn't involved. If the little girl was pointing a gun at the officer I wouldn't be standing here complaining about it.

Nevermind that the possibility that a hypothetical 11 year old might have a gun is completely irrelevant to my statement that I don't think an officer should be on the street if he/she isn't capable of handling an 11 year old girl.

(And no, don't bother posing the question of a hypothetical 11 year old with a genetic abnormality that creates lots of testosterone, whose pituitary gland is also out of whack causing her to be 6 feet tall, AND just happens to shoot up loads of steroids every day. That, too, would be utterly beside the point)

A gun wasn't involved. If the little girl was pointing a gun at the officer I wouldn't be standing here complaining about it.

Nevermind that the possibility that a hypothetical 11 year old might have a gun is completely irrelevant to my statement that I don't think an officer should be on the street if he/she isn't capable of handling an 11 year old girl.

(And no, don't bother posing the question of a hypothetical 11 year old with a genetic abnormality that creates lots of testosterone, whose pituitary gland is also out of whack causing her to be 6 feet tall, AND just happens to shoot up loads of steroids every day. That, too, would be utterly beside the point)

My involvement started when you posted that cops who couldn't handle an 11 year old girl should be fired. Duh. Read your post. So, what does age have to do with it?
I figured someone would inevitably be by with the automatic defense.

If the police cannot handle an 11 year old girl, they should be fired.

Anyway, this kind of thread is at least useful for measuring just how much a poster means it when in other parts of the forum they act worried about government abuse of power. If you think it's reasonable for the police to taze an 11 year old girl, you are not worried about government abuse of power. If you think that government violence against citizens is a reasonable and acceptable response, you are not worried about government abuse of power.

My first thought is that it's a problem when an 11 year old is tased.

But, I'd like to know more -- I like to hear why she was tased. She doesn't seem like she's big enough to present much of a danger risk to the officers. Was she fighting? Were they trying to restrain her?

I remember in the case of the guy who died of a stranglehold that activists said the police should have used a taser instead of grabbing him and trying to subdue him physically. Did that thought present itself?

She looks like a little thing -- but -- maybe she's feisty. Right now, I'm on her side, although I'd charge her for the theft.
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ne...eploy-taser-11-year-old-shoplifter/929492002/

636693368994733608-gowdy.jpg

she was tased in the back, so I seriously doubt she was fighting or that they were trying to restrain her because from what I understand they shot her with the taser so from a distance.

She's ELEVEN. If she stole out of hunger, you're serious that at ELEVEN she should know the right way to get help? And that tazing is a good lesson for her?

We have come a long way from the times when stealing would result in having your hand cut off... thank God.

My first thought is that it's a problem when an 11 year old is tased.

But, I'd like to know more -- I like to hear why she was tased. She doesn't seem like she's big enough to present much of a danger risk to the officers. Was she fighting? Were they trying to restrain her?

I remember in the case of the guy who died of a stranglehold that activists said the police should have used a taser instead of grabbing him and trying to subdue him physically. Did that thought present itself?

She looks like a little thing -- but -- maybe she's feisty. Right now, I'm on her side, although I'd charge her for the theft.
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ne...eploy-taser-11-year-old-shoplifter/929492002/

636693368994733608-gowdy.jpg
A lot of people are complaining that the girl stole because she might have been hungry... Jesus, if mom would stop eating all the ****ing food then this little girl might stand a chance.

I posted her pic (the back of her). She's just a little thing. My first thought was that perhaps they tased her to keep from hurting her if they were trying to physically restrain her and she was fighting them. But, another poster said she was tased in the back from a distance so it looks as if (at this point) there was absolutely no good cause to deploy the taser.

I really think our departments need to emphasize deescalating situations rather than reaching for a taser or a billy club or a gun if at all possible. We have wonderful officers in every community in this nation, but things like this make all of them look bad.

A lot of people are complaining that the girl stole because she might have been hungry... Jesus, if mom would stop eating all the ****ing food then this little girl might stand a chance.

LOL Oh dear!

I kind of thought the same thing myself.

Ouch.

Not through legitimate means, they arrested her by overly aggressive and excessive violent means.

All the adjectives are yours... they caught and arrested her. FACT.

Violent. Excessive. Aggressive. Emotional Flibber Flapper.

All the adjectives are yours... they caught and arrested her. FACT.

Violent. Excessive. Aggressive. Emotional Flibber Flapper.

Sure, tasering an 11 year old for no obvious reason, flibber flapper, hell no, it is realism, objective determination of overly aggressive policing methods. It is obvious you have no real substantive reasons to object so you go the "emotional flibber flapper" route, which is nonsense.

Sure, tasering an 11 year old for no obvious reason, flibber flapper, hell no, it is realism, objective determination of overly aggressive policing methods. It is obvious you have no real substantive reasons to object so you go the "emotional flibber flapper" route, which is nonsense.

What you said was subjective... realism is that she was tasered. Not realism is that she was violently tasered.

Given that I didn't say it was fine for a store security guard to tase an 11 year old, it's a stretch the size of the entire universe.

Sure you did: "Don't want to get tased? Don't run from the cops". You're implicitly stating getting tazed is an acceptable consequence for a child that disobeys authority.

Tasers do not work from a distance. Very short range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

she was tased in the back, so I seriously doubt she was fighting or that they were trying to restrain her because from what I understand they shot her with the taser so from a distance.

She was "walking" away. And they tazed her in the back.

Sure you did: "Don't want to get tased? Don't run from the cops". You're implicitly stating getting tazed is an acceptable consequence for a child that disobeys authority.

Your assumption of what my statement may or may not have implied doesn't make your assumption, or your opinion of what you think was implied, a fact.

She was "walking" away. And they tazed her in the back.

which makes this a case of a lazy cop who wanted to punish that girl for stealing or whatever went on in his idiotic brain.

Latter: true.

But former: perhaps because of the disparity in risk between tazing a 200 lb adult and tazing a little 11 year old

You're employing the 'poor wittle girl' defense.

Yes. Tase the urchins if they run. What is the alternative? Unlimited crime if you run from police?

Again, the 'poor wittle girl' defense.

Cincinnati cops use Taser on 11-year-old girl caught stealing from Kroger supermarket

kroger-d12d5338-f56c-4844-a1c1-34ced92d0546-large16x9-kj12kenardkroger-frame-1795.png

Unless their safety is threatened with a weapon, I see no reason for police officers to use a taser on an 11 year old girl suspected of misdemeanor theft (shoplifting).

Related: Taser used on 11-year-old who stole food, Cincinnati police say

Yeah. They really should just let criminals go. No sense in arresting people for things like theft, drugs, minor assault, robbery, burglary, vehicle theft, home invasions, etc. You never know if you’re dealing with a good kid who just made a mistake. You sure don’t want to impede their path to success in life by sticking them with a criminal record. Furthermore, just because someone flees the scene of a crime or resists questioning regarding a complaint doesn’t mean they are bad people. Maybe they are just scared and confused.

Just let the little thief go? That’s sure protecting and serving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe the cop could have walked faster than her and then restrained her? :roll:

Back
Top Bottom