• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cops grab guy just taking pictures and frisk him

Disorderly conduct is against the law and that’s exactly what the video shows. He wasn’t there nonchalantly taking pictures. He was there engaging in creepy and suspicious behavior with the intent of eliciting a police response to antagonize them.
You don't even know what disorderly conduct is... LOL

Disorderly conduct, in law, intentional disturbing of the public peace and order by language or other conduct. It is a general term including various offenses that are usually punishable by minor penalties.

What did he do that was disturbing the public peace? Walking around taking pictures of public spaces is legal. Taking pictures of police stations, cop cars, parks, people on the street, etc. all legal.

Disturbing the public peace is:

What Constitutes Disturbing the Peace?​

Laws exist that make it a crime to create a public disruption or commotion. These laws vary from state to state, but they typically prohibit:

• Fighting or challenging someone to fight in a public place;
  • Using offensive words in a public place likely to incite violence;
  • Shouting in a public place intending to incite violence or unlawful activity;
  • Bullying a student on or near school grounds;
  • Knocking loudly on hotel doors of sleeping guests with the purpose of annoying them;
  • Holding an unlawful public assembly;
  • Shouting profanities out of a car window in front of a person's home over an extended period of time;
  • Allowing excessive dog barking in a residential area; and
  • Intentionally playing loud music during the night that continues, even after a fair warning.
In most states, the person's conduct must have been on purpose (willful) or with bad intent (malicious). It is not enough that a person engaged in conduct that merely annoyed, harassed, or embarrassed someone else. If fighting was involved, it must have been unlawful, and not in self-defense or the defense of others.

To determine guilt, courts look at the particular circumstances of each case. Some of the factors a judge may consider include the location, time, place, words, actions, and the person spoken to or touched (for example, a police officer, teacher, student, relative or passerby).

Common actions that do not constitute disturbing the peace can include:

• Engaging in horseplay;
  • Simply embarrassing someone;
  • Merely annoying someone;
  • Accidentally bumping into someone; and
  • Giving someone a gesture such as the middle finger.

I hope that you learned something. You are welcome.

Disorderly conduct is against the law and that’s exactly what the video shows. He wasn’t there nonchalantly taking pictures. He was there engaging in creepy and suspicious behavior with the intent of eliciting a police response to antagonize them.
Yet he was not charged at all now was he? Even after calling the cops names and confronting them through the gate, they just ignored him. Obviously, they did not think that he was being disorderly. They did not bring up disorderly conduct in the video and did not arrest the idiot either.

It sounds like you think it was disorderly conduct alone, as in it's just your opinion. Perhaps you could go press charges or something?

Wonder why you guys support creepy in public when the police who are responsible for the public are concerned?

Pat 'em down and book 'em, Dano.
Again with the supporting creepy blah blah... you soundly lost this debate, mate. LOL

Yet he was not charged at all now was he? Even after calling the cops names and confronting them through the gate, they just ignored him. Obviously, they did not think that he was being disorderly. They did not bring up disorderly conduct in the video and did not arrest the idiot either.

It sounds like you think it was disorderly conduct alone, as in it's just your opinion. Perhaps you could go press charges or something?
Perhaps next time he should take a baton to the cranium to knock some sense into him.

No sympathy for the guy. He certainly has the freedom to engage in creepy and suspicious behavior, but can’t be outraged when it draws the scrutiny of police.
Aren't police supposed to enforce actual laws, not judge people for doing something odd but legal?

This clown was intentionally acting in a suspicious way hoping for a reaction. He’s lucky that the reaction was nothing more than it was.
Do you hate American freedom?

Do you hate American freedom?
I think that he thinks like a cop. Follow orders or we will make you, whether it is legal or not.

I had two cops pull me and my friend over for laughing. LAUGHING. They thought that we were laughing at them... we didn't even see them til they were passing us the other direction. They turned around, lit us up and threatened us. We were 17 years old. The ****face cop ended with, "that will teach you to never **** with the cops again"... damn I wish we had cell phone cameras back then but we were lucky that they didn't arrest us on some bullshit lie.

I think that he thinks like a cop. Follow orders or we will make you, whether it is legal or not.

I had two cops pull me and my friend over for laughing. LAUGHING. They thought that we were laughing at them... we didn't even see them til they were passing us the other direction. They turned around, lit us up and threatened us. We were 17 years old. The ****face cop ended with, "that will teach you to never **** with the cops again"... damn I wish we had cell phone cameras back then but we were lucky that they didn't arrest us on some bullshit lie.
I had a few scrapes with law enforcement as well as a teenager, mostly for issues of "attitude", not actual legal violations.

I had a few scrapes with law enforcement as well as a teenager, mostly for issues of "attitude", not actual legal violations.
Other than that one and one other BS pull over by power tripping cop where we did nothing I had about 6 speeding pull overs (only two were ticketed) and the other couple dozen were when I was bartending, around bars or when out for New Years and cops would shut the whole area down just after midnight and a couple of other things. Never arrested... but I did get tired of the lies, threats and twisting of facts.

No sympathy for the guy. He certainly has the freedom to engage in creepy and suspicious behavior, but can’t be outraged when it draws the scrutiny of police.

"scrutiny" is fine... But the police aren't supposed to break the law.

A pat down only requires reasonable suspicion and the guy’s creepy and suspicious behavior fits the bill.

It requires reasonable suspicion OF A CRIME. They didn't have that.

I disagree. Peeping over a wall to record people, vehicles, and license plates and lurking around and rattling the side gate of the premises created enough reasonable suspicion for a pat down. And we don’t know what was in the edits he snipped out. When you behave like you shouldn’t be doing something as he was then you’re going to attract the attention of the police. And antagonizing the police was the point.

That's not the standard for a Terry stop. For a pat down to occur, they need not only reasonable suspicion OF A CRIME, but they also need reasonable suspicion that the guy is armed and dangerous.

Other than that one and one other BS pull over by power tripping cop where we did nothing I had about 6 speeding pull overs (only two were ticketed) and the other couple dozen were when I was bartending, around bars or when out for New Years and cops would shut the whole area down just after midnight and a couple of other things. Never arrested... but I did get tired of the lies, threats and twisting of facts.
When I was in college, I was at a sports bar watching a playoff football game. I was out of money and about to leave, when it went into overtime. So I decided to run across the street to the ATM so I could have one more beer for overtime. The ATM was across the street and in the middle of the block, so when I was heading back I stepped between two cars and checked the traffic, there was a car comming so I stepped back. It was a cop. He stopped and got out of his car with his ticket book. I said, are you going to write me a a ticket, what for? He said Jay Walking. (I had less control over my mouth in those days) so I said. 'Are you serious? I mean, we both know I was about to Jay walk but I haven't actually done it yet. Write me up for attempted Jay walking. I dare you. That will make the judge laugh too' and went on to say that the other guy at the ATM knew I was about to Jay walk. He was in on it. Maybe you should cite him for conspiracy to aide and abbett a jaywalker....which made the other guy at the ATM laugh. Then the cop grabbed me by the collar, his face bright red, and said 'you've got an attitude son" then he snapped his book shut and left.

Two months later I was riding a bike to my gf's house, and actually got pulled over for not comming to a complete stop at the stop sign and not having a light, technical violations but normally you would never get ticketed for it. Same cop. He remembered me. It cost me 140 bucks.

Live and learn.

When I was in college, I was at a sports bar watching a playoff football game. I was out of money and about to leave, when it went into overtime. So I decided to run across the street to the ATM so I could have one more beer for overtime. The ATM was across the street and in the middle of the block, so when I was heading back I stepped between two cars and checked the traffic, there was a car comming so I stepped back. It was a cop. He stopped and got out of his car with his ticket book. I said, are you going to write me a a ticket, what for? He said Jay Walking. (I had less control over my mouth in those days) so I said. 'Are you serious? I mean, we both know I was about to Jay walk but I haven't actually done it yet. Write me up for attempted Jay walking. I dare you. That will make the judge laugh too' and went on to say that the other guy at the ATM knew I was about to Jay walk. He was in on it. Maybe you should cite him for conspiracy to aide and abbett a jaywalker....which made the other guy at the ATM laugh. Then the cop grabbed me by the collar, his face bright red, and said 'you've got an attitude son" then he snapped his book shut and left.

Two months later I was riding a bike to my gf's house, and actually got pulled over for not comming to a complete stop at the stop sign and not having a light, technical violations but normally you would never get ticketed for it. Same cop. He remembered me. It cost me 140 bucks.

Live and learn.
LOL. Good story.

I had a cop pull me over for passing him when he was going the speed limit. I cooperate and am extremely polite so when I did not have my registration in my car, no idea why, he asked me to prove it was my car. I said that I can't do that. He repeated his question, "prove to me that you own this car". I said that I could not. He kept staring at me, obviously angry... and he asked me again. Prove you own this car... I was getting a little annoyed and said that he could look it up as he had my ID. This ****ing guy asks me a fourth time to prove I own the car. I said, "dude, what the hell is the problem here? I said a few times that I CAN NOT PROVE that" raising my voice. He is shaking his head mumbling, "mm huh!" He goes back to his bike. I think I am ****ed. He drives off. I am sitting there sure that it was a set up... I start driving and he gets me for fleeing, or something. I sat on the side of the freeway (405 in SoCal) for over ten minutes. I eventually left, incident free. LOL

Back
Top Bottom