• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Copper Consumption

Hoplite

Technomancer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I'm kinda curious if anyone has any information on this.

I've always had gut problems, but they've gotten worse of late and I've been trying to narrow down the cause. I know excess amounts of copper can cause gut problems and nausea.

I have a necklace that I've worn for almost five years. My skin is absolute murder on jewelry, it shreds plating in a few weeks. This necklace had some kind of plating over copper and the plating is gone. I have a permanent green tattoo around my neck from the copper.

Does anyone have information on how much copper can be absorbed through the skin? I checked my eyes for KF rings and I cant tell for certain if they're there or not (which makes me think they aren't really there).

What's tripping my concern radar is both the fact that I do notice symptoms of Wilson's disease AND there are cases of Wilson's in my family history.

I'm the first to agree that self-diagnosis is not only stupid, it's dangerous. Additionally, Wilson's is a rare condition (IIRC). But I'd still like to know if this is something I should try to look into further, something I wouldn't have to do if copper absorption through the skin is too slow for concern.

Last edited:
I think asking an internet forum for medical advice is a poor decision :D

Call a Dr. The family history makes it worth investigating.

I'm kinda curious if anyone has any information on this.

I've always had gut problems, but they've gotten worse of late and I've been trying to narrow down the cause. I know excess amounts of copper can cause gut problems and nausea.

I have a necklace that I've worn for almost five years. My skin is absolute murder on jewelry, it shreds plating in a few weeks. This necklace had some kind of plating over copper and the plating is gone. I have a permanent green tattoo around my neck from the copper.

Does anyone have information on how much copper can be absorbed through the skin? I checked my eyes for KF rings and I cant tell for certain if they're there or not (which makes me think they aren't really there).

What's tripping my concern radar is both the fact that I do notice symptoms of Wilson's disease AND there are cases of Wilson's in my family history.

I'm the first to agree that self-diagnosis is not only stupid, it's dangerous. Additionally, Wilson's is a rare condition (IIRC). But I'd still like to know if this is something I should try to look into further, something I wouldn't have to do if copper absorption through the skin is too slow for concern.

Copper jewelry, with and without lacquer, has been around forever. Used to be commonly worn as an arthritis help. People also use copper drinking 'glasses' for their water -- same purpose. If copper jewelry were able to shed enough copper to be harmful, we'd have known about it long before now -- and it wouldn't be used.

The fact that your skin turns green from the copper necklace is no big surprise. My body does that with gold occasionally....and every other jewelry metal imagineable. Depends on one's body chemistry and not a sign for alarm. (Says Dr. MaggieD. Ha!) Here's some interesting stuff: Copper- Benefits, Dosage, Deficiency, Sources

It's not the copper.

Look elsewhere for your stomach problems. When you're tired of guessing, see a doctor. ;-)

I agree that this is not the best forum to ask for medical advice, but my question is the product of two points.

First, I have no medical insurance and I'm already fighting with over $2,000 of of debt for a prior hospital stay. I cannot afford to visit a doctor to indulge a theory unless I have some concrete support for that theory.

Second, it's a simple elimination question; how good is the body at absorbing copper through the skin? If the answer is that the body couldnt absorb enough copper to be of consequence, then I have less reason to suspect it as a problem.

Last edited:
I agree that this is not the best forum to ask for medical advice, but my question is the product of two points.

First, I have no medical insurance and I'm already fighting with over $2,000 of of debt for a prior hospital stay.

Second, it's a simple elimination question; how good is the body at absorbing copper through the skin? If the answer is that the body couldnt absorb enough copper to be of consequence, then I have less reason to suspect it as a problem.

Don't be lookin' for zebras when a horse will do just fine. Look at your diet first and foremost. Start a food diary. Certain foods...fat...yada yada yada.

Back
Top Bottom