• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cop Threatens To Shoot Man Who Is Legally Carrying A Gun In The Back

Kal'Stang

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Not my title, the title of the video.

Anyways, its good that the charges were dropped. The cop clearly over reacted.

Nothing much to say but, Don't act like an idiot when you see another man with a gun legally.

Sue that officer and his department personally, file criminal charges for unlawful arrest. Drop the suit against the department on condition that the officer is fired and other officers are required to review all current firearms laws. Assholes like this cop don't deserve the badge.

Would like to see charges against this cop for unlawful arrest. He should know what the laws are in his state. Why does Florida seem to have far more idiots than most states?

Would like to see charges against this cop for unlawful arrest. He should know what the laws are in his state. Why does Florida seem to have far more idiots than most states?
Must be all that ozone. ;)

Acause our family trees anit got no branches.

Abusive cops? We don't have any of those in Las Vegas:roll: Just give them any excuse at all.

I've only gotten pulled over twice (I was speeding). For one thing, I stayed in the car with my seatbelt on, engine off, hands splayed on the wheel. Asked for my license I said it was in my wallet in my back pocket - should I take it out? When asked for my registration I said it was in the glove box, should I take it out? I addressed them as "officer" and maintained a neutral expression on my face.

Getting out of your car gives these ex-schoolyard bullies a chance to **** with you. They are licensed to kill. It's best to handle them with great care because your "rights" get suspended if they choose. Stay in the cat, kiss their ass.

I'm glad this was properly resolved but look at the pain inflicted on the driver. So, thats my advice which is free, and worth every penny.

Abusive cops? We don't have any of those in Las Vegas:roll: Just give them any excuse at all.

I've only gotten pulled over twice (I was speeding). For one thing, I stayed in the car with my seatbelt on, engine off, hands splayed on the wheel. Asked for my license I said it was in my wallet in my back pocket - should I take it out? When asked for my registration I said it was in the glove box, should I take it out? I addressed them as "officer" and maintained a neutral expression on my face.

Getting out of your car gives these ex-schoolyard bullies a chance to **** with you. They are licensed to kill. It's best to handle them with great care because your "rights" get suspended if they choose. Stay in the cat, kiss their ass.

I'm glad this was properly resolved but look at the pain inflicted on the driver. So, thats my advice which is free, and worth every penny.

Fits with what has always worked for me, handed it down to the kid and grandkids - always be exceptionally polite when around people with guns and clubs.

It's not just there unfortunately. Around the Shreveport area we've had a few instances of police not knowing their laws and violating due process, two come immediately to mind.

1) One chief there wanted officers to go into bars and either breathalyze or observe patrons, if the officer deemed that patron to have had to much they would make the determination to cut off service, and take their beverages. You just don't want to get between a Louisiana resident and their beer, that is looking for a fight.

2) Another incident happened when an individual was stopped for a traffic violation. The person had a concealed firearm in the vehicle and the officer confiscated his gun, the police chief upheld the confiscation, citing "unlawful concealment". Both that officer and his superior should know that under our laws a firearm may be vehicle concealed as an "extension of the home" unless the person in possession is a prohibited person, or the firearm is otherwise unlawfully owned. There is a suit pending.

That cop should be fired.

BTW, if you threatened to shoot a cop in the back, what would happen to you? That is what should happen to the cop.

That cop should be fired.

BTW, if you threatened to shoot a cop in the back, what would happen to you? That is what should happen to the cop.
Actually, a good attorney might be able to make a case against the officer for felonious assault, or assault with a deadly weapon. It's more than an implied threat to tell someone you will shoot them in the back, and officers are not covered when they initiate aggression without justification.

Actually, a good attorney might be able to make a case against the officer for felonious assault, or assault with a deadly weapon. It's more than an implied threat to tell someone you will shoot them in the back, and officers are not covered when they initiate aggression without justification.

Cops get away with a lot, and it's high time they are held to the same standards as everyone else. The badge doesn't make one immune to the law. To take back and control the government means just that.

Cops get away with a lot, and it's high time they are held to the same standards as everyone else. The badge doesn't make one immune to the law. To take back and control the government means just that.
Personally, I'd make sure they didn't get rid of that dash cam video. The officer pretty much incriminated himself right there.

Personally, I'd make sure they didn't get rid of that dash cam video. The officer pretty much incriminated himself right there.

Well no matter what, the NSA could always provide video and data on any event in America. Hahaha.

Sue that officer and his department personally, file criminal charges for unlawful arrest. Drop the suit against the department on condition that the officer is fired and other officers are required to review all current firearms laws. Assholes like this cop don't deserve the badge.

here is what he should do

sue the department under the doctrine of respondeat superior

sue the cop individually under 42 USC 1983 (constitutional tort-in the federal system we call it a BIVENS action) and in his official capacity (thus creating liability on the employer). Since his interests might be contradictory to his department's he normally will have to obtain separate counsel rather than say the County prosecutor or the city solicitor. IF he loses he is individually liable and his credit rating is screwed while the suit is pending.

here is what he should do

sue the department under the doctrine of respondeat superior

sue the cop individually under 42 USC 1983 (constitutional tort-in the federal system we call it a BIVENS action) and in his official capacity (thus creating liability on the employer). Since his interests might be contradictory to his department's he normally will have to obtain separate counsel rather than say the County prosecutor or the city solicitor. IF he loses he is individually liable and his credit rating is screwed while the suit is pending.
Here is the issue I most had with the officer, threatening to shoot the man in the back, I realize that "some" lattitude is given to officers, but that still be considered a felony assault I'm thinking. You're the legal expert so I guess the question is was that threat illegal, or am I understanding things incorrectly?

Here is the issue I most had with the officer, threatening to shoot the man in the back, I realize that "some" lattitude is given to officers, but that still be considered a felony assault I'm thinking. You're the legal expert so I guess the question is was that threat illegal, or am I understanding things incorrectly?

If the man was my client I would be preparing a demand for settlement prior to filing the 42 USC 1983 lawsuit that is justified

If I were the city attorney I'd be consulting with the insurance carrier to see about the liability limits

If the man was my client I would be preparing a demand for settlement prior to filing the 42 USC 1983 lawsuit that is justified

If I were the city attorney I'd be consulting with the insurance carrier to see about the liability limits
My thoughts on that, except for the technicals obviously as I'm not an attorney. I just can't see any state or local government giving authority to threaten a suspect with being shot in the back before they even initiate aggression.

Look no further than South Beach...

beaches_southbeach.jpg

That cop needs to be brought up on criminal charges.

Back
Top Bottom