• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cop shoots caretaker of autistic man playing in the street with toy truck

Μολὼν λαβέ

Si vis pacem, para bellum
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I can't wait to hear the reason/rationale for this shooting.

Cuevas said officers received a 911 call indicating a man was in the street with a gun threatening to kill himself. They responded to Northeast 127th Street and about 14th Avenue and began barking orders. When the autistic man didn’t comply, an officer fired three times, striking Kinsey once in the leg. He was transported to Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Kinsey said when he asked the officer why he fired his weapon, the cop responded, “I don’t know.”

Read more here: North Miami police officer shot caretaker of autistic man on ground | Miami Herald

What else could this Black man have done to avoid being shot by this cop?

Any ideas?

My guess is that the community that this cop works for is going to end up paying a lot for this mistake.

This was another thrill kill done by the police. Get the rush of killing someone and then get 2 weeks paid time off while internal affairs clears them of all wrong doing.

This was another thrill kill done by the police. Get the rush of killing someone and then get 2 weeks paid time off while internal affairs clears them of all wrong doing.

The man shot wasn't killed. He was interviewed in the hospital and explained he wasn't worried about being shot because he was laying on his back with his hands up. He was worried about the disabled patient who wasn't following police demands because he was well, disabled.

Unfortunately for him he was wrong. He got shot anyway.

Lucky for him the sun shot wasn't life threatening. Can't wait to see how this plays out. I'm guessing he'll get lots of retirement $ from the North Miami Police Department in an out of court agreement.

Μολὼν λαβέ;1066109620 said:
The man shot wasn't killed. He was interviewed in the hospital and explained he wasn't worried about being shot because he was laying on his back with his hands up. He was worried about the disabled patient who wasn't following police demands because he was well, disabled.

Unfortunately for him he was wrong. He got shot anyway.

Lucky for him the sun shot wasn't life threatening. Can't wait to see how this plays out. I'm guessing he'll get lots of retirement $ from the North Miami Police Department in an out of court agreement.

He's due a nice cash settlement based on how severely his leg is damaged.

His proximity to the autistic man and his hands being up contributed to the appearance that he was being held there in fear of his life. It would have been better to move farther away from the perceived aggressor.

The cop stated that he saw a move that threatened the safety of the therapist and took the shot. Why he was so inaccurate is indeed puzzling and will come out in the investigation.

We shouldn't rush to any conclusions. Wait for the investigators to do their work.

He's due a nice cash settlement based on how severely his leg is damaged.

His proximity to the autistic man and his hands being up contributed to the appearance that he was being held there in fear of his life. It would have been better to move farther away from the perceived aggressor.

The cop stated that he saw a move that threatened the safety of the therapist and took the shot. Why he was so inaccurate is indeed puzzling and will come out in the investigation.

We shouldn't rush to any conclusions. Wait for the investigators to do their work.

Where did you read that the cop "thought he saw a move"? I haven't seen that yet.

Nightly news ABC a little while ago.

Yeah but we all know the cop is lying. If he "thought he saw a move" then he wouldn't have answered "I DON'T KNOW" when asked why he shot a helpless Blackman on the ground earlier. The cop is lying and the PD is moving into CYA mode.

Yeah but we all know the cop is lying. If he "thought he saw a move" then he wouldn't have answered "I DON'T KNOW" when asked why he shot a helpless Blackman on the ground earlier. The cop is lying and the PD is moving into CYA mode.

LOL!

Obviously, that's the only answer here.

:lamo:lamo:lamo

LOL!

Obviously, that's the only answer here.

:lamo:lamo:lamo

It's the MOST LIKELY answer, for sure.

This cops demonstrated he is actually one of those "loose cannons" people talk about.

It's the MOST LIKELY answer, for sure.

This cops demonstrated he is actually one of those "loose cannons" people talk about.

Have you even read the news reports? The cop was trying to save the life of the black guy with his hands up.

Really irresponsible to attack a cop who was just trying to do his job.....save lives.

Cops make mistakes......just like you do. The difference is that cop's mistakes can result in consequences far more grave than yours.

Have you even read the news reports? The cop was trying to save the life of the black guy with his hands up.

Really irresponsible to attack a cop who was just trying to do his job.....save lives.

Cops make mistakes......just like you do. The difference is that cop's mistakes can result in consequences far more grave than yours.

I do understand your sentiment, but really, in this case, whose life was in danger?

If that was a demonstration of "protecting and serving", I think we need to consider changing the meaning of words.

I do understand your sentiment, but really, in this case, whose life was in danger?

If that was a demonstration of "protecting and serving", I think we need to consider changing the meaning of words.

The man with his hands up was perceived to be in danger from the man who was telling him to "Shut up."

It was a logical perception.

No one's life was in danger, and the police were told that the individual was autistic and holding a toy truck.

But it's a funny excuse, yeah? The cop tried to save the life of the black guy with his hands up....by shooting the black guy with his hands up.

Have you had a reality check lately?

The man shouted that the white guy was no danger, that he was not armed, that the was not a danger, that he was an autistic man and he was his therapy person.

Also, the white guy was a huge target, sitting up totally not responding to the words of the officers because he was an autistic person, how do you want to shoot the white guy who was a danger, shoot three times (according to some reports I have read) and hit the black person who was the almost impossible one to hit due to him LAYING down with his hands in the air.

It may have been unintentionally, but we are making an issue of this because it once again is a shooting of an innocent and unarmed man. Even if he had hit the white guy, who was playing with a toy, it would still have been a bad shoot because the officer was told several times that the man was not a danger, that he was not armed and that he was his therapist.

As said, it may have been a mistake but it could have been a fatal one. But officers have to have a notion as to when firing your gun is a good decision and when it is not. And if you shoot the wrong person, it is possibly incompetence because HE HIT THE WRONG PERSON!!!

The man with his hands up was perceived to be in danger from the man who was telling him to "Shut up."

It was a logical perception.

Only by very tortured logic sir.

No one's life was in danger, and the police were told that the individual was autistic and holding a toy truck.

But it's a funny excuse, yeah? The cop tried to save the life of the black guy with his hands up....by shooting the black guy with his hands up.

Those North Miami police think in strange ways....

The cop was trying to save the life of the black guy with his hands up.

Are you ****ing serious? How in god's name was shooting that guy in the leg supposed to be trying to save his life?

Some police shootings, regardless of my feelings on the subject, I can understand how someone can defend the officer involved.

But in this case, I can't understand how anyone could possibly defend this officer. His actions were gross negligence at best, and attempted murder at worst.

Back
Top Bottom