• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cop passed out drunk while on dutry in car?

Do you charge a drunk, passed out cop while ON DUTY IN HIS POLICE CAR?

• Total voters

Bodi

Just waiting for my set...
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
No need to charge him... right?

If there's any sense left in the world he'd be in serious trouble and maybe fired.
I'm struggling to think of any jobs where being drunk while at work wouldn't be a firable offense.

defund his paycheck

Should a cop passed out drunk while on duty be charged? Be fired? Both? Unfortunately unaccountable woke prosecutors get to decide not you or I. My view the officer should be fired unless he was operating the vehicle while intoxicated.

If there's any sense left in the world he'd be in serious trouble and maybe fired.
I'm struggling to think of any jobs where being drunk while at work wouldn't be a firable offense.

Sometimes a bartender, but not passed out drunk.

I've known a couple of people who were passed out behind the wheel. They were charged with DUI regardless that the car was parked and not running. And actually convicted. So he's just as liable as anyone else for his behavior, imo.

No need to charge him... right?

What could be so bad in Aurora, CO. that would prompt him to do this while on duty?

The alcoholism rate is high with LE.
I hope that if this is his case, he's reached rock bottom and asks for help.

Very, very, sad.

When I was a teen, I borrowed my dad's pickup and with a friend went out and got snot-slinging drunk. We ended up in the university dorm parking lot, haranguing the students when I saw the lights of a police car behind me. I nearly died.

When he asked me to get out of the vehicle, I collapsed on the ground. My condition was --- obvious. After a few minutes of questioning about the vehicle, where I lived and etc. I was absolutely shocked that he actually let me drive my dad's truck back home.

Different era. Different times.

Were I to do that today, I'd be in jail, my license suspended, my dad's truck impounded, a felony conviction on my record and $10,000 in fines and legal fees.

I am NOT justifying drinking and driving - but I am eternally grateful for the mercy that officer showed me that night.

What could be so bad in Aurora, CO. that would prompt him to do this while on duty?

The alcoholism rate is high with LE.
I hope that if this is his case, he's reached rock bottom and asks for help.

Very, very, sad.
Who knows? We can only imagine his fellow officers knew and were trying (rightfully or wrongfully) to show him some mercy.

When I was a teen, I borrowed my dad's pickup and with a friend went out and got snot-slinging drunk. We ended up in the university dorm parking lot, haranguing the students when I saw the lights of a police car behind me. I nearly died.

When he asked me to get out of the vehicle, I collapsed on the ground. My condition was --- obvious. After a few minutes of questioning about the vehicle, where I lived and etc. I was absolutely shocked that he actually let me drive my dad's truck back home.

Different era. Different times.

Were I to do that today, I'd be in jail, my license suspended, my dad's truck impounded, a felony conviction on my record and $10,000 in fines and legal fees.

I am NOT justifying drinking and driving - but I am eternally grateful for the mercy that officer showed me that night.

Honestly I had an older relative in the 60's who would get hammered and then pulled over by police. They'd either take him in to sleep it off (LOL like Otis on Andy Griffith) or they'd follow him home to make sure he made it. Us kids were always told cousin Johnny is staying in a motel tonight. And you're right. Cousin Johnny would have no license, $100,000 fine, as well as some real time in the motel.

I've known a couple of people who were passed out behind the wheel. They were charged with DUI regardless that the car was parked and not running. And actually convicted. So he's just as liable as anyone else for his behavior, imo.

This is what puzzles me about the situation.
Why is it seemingly ok for the police to be passed out drunk at the wheel when they prosecute people for doing exactly that?

Who knows? We can only imagine his fellow officers knew and were trying (rightfully or wrongfully) to show him some mercy.

I take the police in that area will now not prosecute anyone found passed out at the wheel?

This is what puzzles me about the situation.
Why is it seemingly ok for the police to be passed out drunk at the wheel when they prosecute people for doing exactly that?

I absolutely don't think it's okay. In least amount of punishment? It might be better to suspend him without pay and with a 100% requirement that he enters rehab and IF he pulls off a sober life for 2-3 years he'll be considered to join the force again. And during that rehab time if he slips up once? Off to the curb he goes. At least the first option he'd have some type goal.

Cops are human and some can be drunks. He needs to be held accountable for drinking on the job - IMO that accountability would mean fired!

I take the police in that area will now not prosecute anyone found passed out at the wheel?
When have police prosecuted? They do have discretion to charge or not.

Honestly I had an older relative in the 60's who would get hammered and then pulled over by police. They'd either take him in to sleep it off (LOL like Otis on Andy Griffith) or they'd follow him home to make sure he made it. Us kids were always told cousin Johnny is staying in a motel tonight. And you're right. Cousin Johnny would have no license, $100,000 fine, as well as some real time in the motel.
Well I'll tell ya, after my incident, I never got behind the wheel again in such a state again.

But these are different times. Again, not justifying it in any way, either the officer's behavior, mine, or people like your relative.

Some cases should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. No doubt, no argument.

Others? I'd hate to think we've become so litigious and legalistic that even the slightest infraction be punishable by the maximum, that no extenuating circumstances even be considered... Fwiw, in my case there were no extenuating circumstances - save perhaps my age and that I wasn't exactly a "repeat offender." Nevertheless, and for whatever the officer's reason, he was able to show me mercy.... and did.

On the contrary, there was such furor over the incident that something similar happened in another town not far away and the interim police chief there fired the rookie cop as a sign of public good will.

When have police prosecuted? They do have discretion to charge or not.

Really, you don't think they prosecute?
How about you test that theory by going to that area and getting blackout drunk and being in the driving seat and see what happens.

On the contrary, there was such furor over the incident that something similar happened in another town not far away and the interim police chief there fired the rookie cop as a sign of public good will.

Just out of interest how many jobs do you know of where you will not be at least on a final warning or fired for being asleep due to drink?

Well I'll tell ya, after my incident, I never got behind the wheel again in such a state again.

But these are different times. Again, not justifying it in any way, either the officer's behavior, mine, or people like your relative.

Some cases should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. No doubt, no argument.

Others? I'd hate to think we've become so litigious and legalistic that even the slightest infraction be punishable by the maximum, that no extenuating circumstances even be considered... Fwiw, in my case there were no extenuating circumstances - save perhaps my age and that I wasn't exactly a "repeat offender." Nevertheless, and for whatever the officer's reason, he was able to show me mercy.... and did.

I just looked and this incident took place in 2019. So I guess we can hope that he sobered up with no repeats.

Really, you don't think they prosecute?
How about you test that theory by going to that area and getting blackout drunk and being in the driving seat and see what happens.
I covered the bases on that. Police can charge or not charge. Prosecutors can prosecute or not regardless of the charge.

Back
Top Bottom