• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cop passed out drunk while on dutry in car?

Do you charge a drunk, passed out cop while ON DUTY IN HIS POLICE CAR?

• Total voters
Are you ok with the police being given a free pass for anything else?
This was a clear violation of the law.
What do you mean, "anything else?"

I've already given my opinion - and repeated it multiple times. What wasn't clear to you?

How about just legalising drunk driving?
Totally the same thing as letting some guy keep his job.

Giving someone a second chance isn't the same as being an enabler. If this were my employee, and provided there wasn't such legal consequences, i'd mandate rehab and have him pay a fine for the first time. Then fire him on the second time.

What do you mean, "anything else?"

I've already given my opinion - and repeated it multiple times. What wasn't clear to you?
don't bother, these people just want to take out their anger. They would be begging for mercy if they ever found themselves in the same situation.

an analogy of letting off criminals so that they will let you (plural) off when you do something criminal.

Pretty easy concept to follow.
no? giving someone a second chance isn't the same as letting a criminal go. There are still consequences.

Totally the same thing as letting some guy keep his job.

Giving someone a second chance isn't the same as being an enabler. If this were my employee, and provided there wasn't such legal consequences, i'd mandate rehab and have him pay a fine for the first time. Then fire him on the second time.

What happened to holding the police to a higher standard?
He clearly broke the law.
Saying it's a firing offence for police who break the law is hardly the most controversial position to hold but that's just me maybe?

no? giving someone a second chance isn't the same as letting a criminal go. There are still consequences.

His fellow offices made sure that any follow-up investigation would be stopped due to having no blood test.
How are you defending this?

Then your argument is nonsensical... everybody gets a second chance unless they die, brain damaged, are in a coma or something like that.

I don't understand all this boo-hoo hope he sobered up and it is so sad crap.

He could have killed people. Do you react the same for civilians drunks that do the same?>

I'll assume since his vehicle was blocking traffic he must have been DUI. I'm 100% stating that he be treated like any other person, but also considering an option that won't make him want to drink more (ohhh boo hoo I lost my job) and instead work toward sobering his ass up. The dept chose to ignore the whole thing, and that was wrong.

Then your argument is nonsensical... everybody gets a second chance unless they die, brain damaged, are in a coma or something like that.
hmmm sounds like a you problem. think harder.

His fellow offices made sure that any follow-up investigation would be stopped due to having no blood test.
How are you defending this?
i'm not defending it. They chose to do that, and I want other people, including people i know, to catch the same break when they're down on their luck, which generally they don't. I think, first time they do something stupid while drunk, they should go to rehab to sort out whatever problems they're dealing with in life.

What happened to holding the police to a higher standard?
He clearly broke the law.
Saying it's a firing offence for police who break the law is hardly the most controversial position to hold but that's just me maybe?
I wouldn't say it's a controversial position, just that it's wrong.

I think it is hypocritical for society to go easy on one person, and then go hard on others for the same thing.

Which is why i'd like to see society go easy on everyone. Whatever happens to this particular officer, he'll probably be mandated rehab, and i think that's necessary for anyone in that's situation. Taking anyone's job away and sending them to jail doesn't help them fix out the personal issues that cause them to drink till they pass out and only makes the problem worse...so why do it?

I say, let's get people like this some help and make it easier for them to fix themselves.

i'm not defending it. They chose to do that, and I want other people, including people i know, to catch the same break when they're down on their luck, which generally they don't. I think, first time they do something stupid while drunk, they should go to rehab to sort out whatever problems they're dealing with in life.

Agree, but to a point. Set his butt on the outside but offer an incentive to get his stuff together. But don't just goes whoopsie, it's all good!!

What could be so bad in Aurora, CO. that would prompt him to do this while on duty?

The alcoholism rate is high with LE.
I hope that if this is his case, he's reached rock bottom and asks for help.

Very, very, sad.
Boredom

Just out of interest how many jobs do you know of where you will not be at least on a final warning or fired for being asleep due to drink?
i have worked for companies that would fire you on the spot no questions asked and also companies that would send you to a treatment program and give you a conditional (random testing and continued counseling) second chance.

i have worked for companies that would fire you on the spot no questions asked and also companies that would send you to a treatment program and give you a conditional (random testing and continued counseling) second chance.

Remember, he's not just drunk on the job, but frunk while operating a motor-vehicle on public roads; and not just any motor vehicle, but an emergency response vehicle. In addition, he is armed and responsible for using deadly force. Even worse, he may have access to armory beyond what is often seen in the general public. Also, he is responsible for the safety of the genera; public and his brother officers.

This is so much worse than 'drunk on the job', it's ridiculous! We need to be cognizant of the context.

Depends. If he was passed out in his driveway or somewhere else (the station) where he wasnt driving, then he has nothing to be "arrested" for, it would be a question of whether or not to fire him.

I am a believer in giving a person in at least 1 chance. If he has not done anything particularly heinous, and was indeed just sleeping somewhere drunk and not endangering anyone, I would make sure to get him into some alcohol treatment and evaluation. Theres no excuse, but maybe he has trouble at home, maybe his kid is dying, maybe his wife just left, we dont know. Maybe he has a very serious life threatening alcohol problem.

I'd give him that one chance to get a handle on that and confront the alcohol problem without it costing him his job and career. He'd be on thin ice of course, with me watching every move and waiting for another F-up.

I was a pretty bad alcoholic for a long time. But I wasnt a cop. But I know a cop that has had a DUI. Not on the job of course. And he still has his job, because it was one isolated incident out of his whole life and they were gonna give him that 1 chance. I think thats fair enough. As long as he didnt hurt someone.

So give him a few chances more drinking and driving while on duty... with a gun... in confrontations with people... in dangerous situations?

... and just hope that it all gets better?
The idea behind a 2nd chance is to NOT do it again.

Remember, he's not just drunk on the job, but frunk while operating a motor-vehicle on public roads; and not just any motor vehicle, but an emergency response vehicle. In addition, he is armed and responsible for using deadly force. Even worse, he may have access to armory beyond what is often seen in the general public. Also, he is responsible for the safety of the genera; public and his brother officers.

This is so much worse than 'drunk on the job', it's ridiculous! We need to be cognizant of the context.
I don’t think the man should get off without any repercussions, I do not know about his history if there is a pattern of this behavior then maybe termination is in order. If This is the first time then maybe desk duty and rehabilitation is a better solution. That is on top of any and all legal repercussions that anyone else would suffer. If the legal consequences result in termination then that’s how it rolls.

Do you think you'd get the same treatment in that area for being drunk in a car?
I am a Trump supporter. I would do hard time with no opportunity for parole if charged.

i agree, this zero tolerance policies are nonsense and i've seen many good workers get thrown out and in a worse position before because of it. While it may appear the cops were acting hypocritically, really, we should all be given a second chance at the least. We have no idea what's going on in his life, and most people i've seen this happen to were otherwise just good people going through a hard time.
Drinking and driving is a felony offense.

Cops should not be cops if they are convicted of a felony

Back
Top Bottom