• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cop kills unarmed African-American student athlete[W:360]

Hypersonic

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
I'm wondering why none of the people on DP talked about this, especially in this section since many here think African-Americans who have erratic behavior are somehow "up to something." Now in North Carolina a student athlete named Jonathan A. Ferrell was shot after police responded to a burglary call. Apparently, Mr. Ferrell crash his car, walked some one and half to two mile hike to the nearest house where around 2 a.m knocked on the door I assume seeking assistance. Apparently the woman in the house called police and stated that someone was trying to break in her house. Yes all burglaries happen when the perpetrator is knocking on your front door....Right!

Here is what got me, but I'll let the article narrate this part:

"Officers responding to the woman’s breaking-and-entering call discovered Ferrell, who matched the woman’s description of the possible robbery suspect, near the home, police said. As they approached him, Ferrell allegedly charged at the officers, one of whom stunned him with a taser. Ferrell allegedly continued to run toward the officers — and that’s when Kerrick fired his gun, striking Ferrell multiple times, according to police. He was pronounced dead at the scene. A preliminary police investigation showed that Ferrell was unarmed his encounter with officers. Police said the investigation also found that the shooting was excessive and “Kerrick did not have a lawful right to discharge his weapon during this encounter.”

"According to CNN, Police used both ‘charge’ and ‘run’ in their description of what Ferrell did.” See:The DC Post » Police Kill Unarmed Car Wreck Survivor Running to Them for Help

Race may not have played a part in the murder of this young man, but I think it played a part when the woman called the cops. For one, it is stated that she opened and slammed the door on the person then proceeded to call the cops stating he was trying to break in her home. Now, she may have truly been startled especially at that time of night (or morning) but I cannot help but think if it was a white guy banging on the door he would've more likely received immediate help and would have survived. Now before people start speculating on whether Ferrell was intoxicated let us consider some possibilities:

1) In a car crash a person can suffer some brain trauma (hemorrhage) which depending on how severe the trauma is an individual can act in a disorient state where behavior can be erratic.

2) Suppose he was intoxicated if the person was severely intoxicated there would be no way he or she could walk almost two miles in seeking help and not pass out mid way to their destination.

3) Why did the police report use both charge and run? As the former seems to present an aggressive behavior as opposed to the latter.

4) There were several officers at the scene yet one shoots him excessively.

5) I still cannot help but think if it had been a white guy or white female or someone of fair complexion asking for help or knocking on the door the outcome would've been different.

See Article:N.C. police officer charged with fatal shooting of unarmed man due in court - U.S. News

12e984518cede9d20bcd7467cf095f31.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Cop kills unarmed African-American student athlete

I'm wondering why none of the people on DP talked about this, especially in this section since many here think African-Americans who have erratic behavior are somehow "up to something." Now in North Carolina a student athlete named Jonathan A. Ferrell was shot after police responded to a burglary call. Apparently, Mr. Ferrell crash his car, walked some one and half to two mile hike to the nearest house where around 2 a.m knocked on the door I assume seeking assistance. Apparently the woman in the house called police and stated that someone was trying to break in her house. Yes all burglaries happen when the perpetrator is knocking on your front door....Right!

Here is what got me, but I'll let the article narrate this part:

"Officers responding to the woman’s breaking-and-entering call discovered Ferrell, who matched the woman’s description of the possible robbery suspect, near the home, police said. As they approached him, Ferrell allegedly charged at the officers, one of whom stunned him with a taser. Ferrell allegedly continued to run toward the officers — and that’s when Kerrick fired his gun, striking Ferrell multiple times, according to police. He was pronounced dead at the scene. A preliminary police investigation showed that Ferrell was unarmed his encounter with officers. Police said the investigation also found that the shooting was excessive and “Kerrick did not have a lawful right to discharge his weapon during this encounter.”

"According to CNN, Police used both ‘charge’ and ‘run’ in their description of what Ferrell did.” See:The DC Post » Police Kill Unarmed Car Wreck Survivor Running to Them for Help

Race may not have played a part in the murder of this young man, but I think it played a part when the woman called the cops. For one, it is stated that she opened and slammed the door on the person then proceeded to call the cops stating he was trying to break in her home. Now, she may have truly been startled especially at that time of night (or morning) but I cannot help but think if it was a white guy banging on the door he would've more likely received immediate help and would have survived. Now before people start speculating on whether Ferrell was intoxicated let us consider some possibilities:

1) In a car crash a person can suffer some brain trauma (hemorrhage) which depending on how severe the trauma is an individual can act in a disorient state where behavior can be erratic.

2) Suppose he was intoxicated if the person was severely intoxicated there would be no way he or she could walk almost two miles in seeking help and not pass out mid way to their destination.

3) Why did the police report use both charge and run? As the former seems to present an aggressive behavior as opposed to the latter.

4) There were several officers at the scene yet one shoots him excessively.

5) I still cannot help but think if it had been a white guy or white female or someone of fair complexion asking for help or knocking on the door the outcome would've been different.

See Article:N.C. police officer charged with fatal shooting of unarmed man due in court - U.S. News

View attachment 67153704

Well, whether you choose to believe it or not, if someone knocked on my door at 2:30 in the morning, I'd be scared. I'd call the cops. I wouldn't say he was trying to break in, though. I'd just explain he was knocking on my door, and I was scared. (I wouldn't care if they were green.)

Well, whether you choose to believe it or not, if someone knocked on my door at 2:30 in the morning, I'd be scared. I'd call the cops. I wouldn't say he was trying to break in, though. I'd just explain he was knocking on my door, and I was scared. (I wouldn't care if they were green.)

Excuse me if I don't believe it. A part of my experience as being a person of color you have to live with the stigma of the "scary black man" stigma. But yes I would think naturally any human being in a state of rest and are suddenly disturbed by noises at the front door would be alarmed, but I think there needs to be some rational mindset behind the thought of whether one is in immediate danger or whether it is a person in distress. I really think the outcome would be different and I'm not the only one who shares this view. There are people even in the comments section that believes that she didn't give an accurate account of what happened.

I think this applies here. "Racism is not merely a simplistic hatred. It is, more often, broad sympathy toward some and broader skepticism toward others" -Ta Nehisi Coates

Moral of the story:

If the cops tase you, do not continue to advance.

I'm wondering why none of the people on DP talked about this, especially in this section since many here think African-Americans who have erratic behavior are somehow "up to something."

The probability is, Jonathan A. Ferrell was a black Republican. (Democrats have a diffrent word for black Republicans.)

If Mr. Ferrell would have had an Obama phone, he wouldn't had to walk 1 1/2 to 2 miles at 2:00 A.M. in the morning to have someone call for help.

If Mr's Ferrell had an Obama phone, it's very likely he would still be alive today.

Unless the cops were to have shot him at the scene of the accident.

There are things that go against common sense on both sides by my measure:

She opened the door and then slammed it sounds a lot like she was scared by the black guy, which may or may not have been reasonable depending on things we don't know.

The guy being confused and disoriented in relation to the police, but then had walked two miles to seek help--yeah I don't think so.

He was tasered but then kept coming and only then was shot just doesn't seem realistic if he was just seeking help.

I can't say who was in the right and who was in the wrong. Maybe his race had things to do with what happened; maybe it was his size; maybe some of both.

I just can't say there is enough to go on to make me think that this couldn't have been just one hell of a sad misinterpretation of events. I don't know.

The probability is, Jonathan A. Ferrell was a black Republican. (Democrats have a diffrent word for black Republicans.)

If Mr. Ferrell would have had an Obama phone, he wouldn't had to walk 1 1/2 to 2 miles at 2:00 A.M. in the morning to have someone call for help.

If Mr's Ferrell had an Obama phone, it's very likely he would still be alive today.

Unless the cops were to have shot him at the scene of the accident.

This has to be the stupidest post in this thread as of yet. Please tell me this post was a joke.

There are things that go against common sense on both sides by my measure:

She opened the door and then slammed it sounds a lot like she was scared by the black guy, which may or may not have been reasonable depending on things we don't know.

The guy being confused and disoriented in relation to the police, but then had walked two miles to seek help--yeah I don't think so.

He was tasered but then kept coming and only then was shot just doesn't seem realistic if he was just seeking help.

I can't say who was in the right and who was in the wrong. Maybe his race had things to do with what happened; maybe it was his size; maybe some of both.

I just can't say there is enough to go on to make me think that this couldn't have been just one hell of a sad misinterpretation of events. I don't know.

Wait you don't know who is wrong?

The cop turned himself in and the police department said he used excessive force as in the theme "shoot first, ask questions later." My thing is there were cops (more than two) there. You telling me aol three cops couldn't use a taser if the man charged them? The other thing is, the woman opened the door then slammed it in his face. I doubt someone breaking in is going to knock on your door. Lile I said earlier, race may have not played much part in the cop shooting but it did with the woman but that is merely my opinion.

Excuse me if I don't believe it. A part of my experience as being a person of color you have to live with the stigma of the "scary black man" stigma. But yes I would think naturally any human being in a state of rest and are suddenly disturbed by noises at the front door would be alarmed, but I think there needs to be some rational mindset behind the thought of whether one is in immediate danger or whether it is a person in distress. I really think the outcome would be different and I'm not the only one who shares this view. There are people even in the comments section that believes that she didn't give an accurate account of what happened.

Well, here's real life: It was about 11:30 PM. Tommy was out driving his cab, and I was home alone. My living room sits at ground level and has a large set of five casement windows looking out at the front porch and front sidewalk. I live in a ranch home.

I saw a white man in his 30's walk up my front sidewalk, look at me thru the window and ring the bell. I warily answered the door with the storm door locked and my 125# German Shepherd in tow and listened to this guy's tale of woe. He was out of gas. Did I have any? No, I didn't. "Where's your car?" I asked him. "Oh, it's a ways down the block. I was visiting some friends down the street, and when I left, I got about a half-block before I ran out." "Why didn't you go back and knock on THEIR door before knocking on mine?" "I didn't want to bother them."

I told him to wait a minute, closed and locked the door and gave him $2 through the window. After he walked off, I called 911 and reported a suspicious person panhandling, called Tom to come home and loaded my .38.

I won't finish the rest of the story, but just told this part to show that color made no difference. The guy was suspicious. I called the cops on him. What I didn't do, though, was lie and say he'd tried to break in.

Somebody at 2:30 AM?? I'm most definitely calling the cops. And, no, I don't care if they're green. ;)

Excuse me if I don't believe it.

You are excused but only in the sense that you have asked for it. Maggie is alot of things - liar is not among them. Furthermore, the claim that having someone pounding on your door at 0230 in the morning would be scary to a woman home alone at night isn't exactly groundbreaking.

A part of my experience as being a person of color you have to live with the stigma of the "scary black man" stigma.

:shrug: so? If I ran up to someone with a weapon and pointed it at them, I wouldn't get offended that they were afraid and claim it was becaues of a bias against men, or a belief that all veterans have PTSD, I would assume it was because of my behavior. Such as, for example, pounding on someone's door at 0230 am.

But yes I would think naturally any human being in a state of rest and are suddenly disturbed by noises at the front door would be alarmed, but I think there needs to be some rational mindset behind the thought of whether one is in immediate danger or whether it is a person in distress. I really think the outcome would be different and I'm not the only one who shares this view. There are people even in the comments section that believes that she didn't give an accurate account of what happened.

No doubt. It comforts people to believe that. It feeds a victim narrative that makes life easier. It allows one to feel morally superior. But there is no evidence (as of yet) that it actually happened, just the supposition that if it had been a large white male charging the police they would have instead somehow acted differently.

The cop turned himself in and the police department said he used excessive force as in the theme "shoot first, ask questions later." My thing is there were cops (more than two) there. You telling me aol three cops couldn't use a taser if the man charged them? The other thing is, the woman opened the door then slammed it in his face. I doubt someone breaking in is going to knock on your door. Lile I said earlier, race may have not played much part in the cop shooting but it did with the woman but that is merely my opinion.

I meant what I said. I have known cops to get away with far sketchier shootings. The cop turning himself in means nothing--fleeing an arrest doesn't prove your innocence, nor does having an indictment issued for you prove your guilt.

She called the cops, she didn't shoot him through the door or something. She did nothing wrong. Geez.

We had a series of rapes where I live where the dude knocked on the door then forced his way in if it was a woman who answered. You want all this sympathy, that's fine, but how about trying to understand the unique dangers to a woman home alone.

I just don't believe that he ran towards the cops after getting tazed. I'm not saying it's impossible but that's the benefit of having the victim not survive; it allows the cops to make up whatever they want and it can't be refuted.

Well, here's real life: It was about 11:30 PM. Tommy was out driving his cab, and I was home alone. My living room sits at ground level and has a large set of five casement windows looking out at the front porch and front sidewalk. I live in a ranch home.

I saw a white man in his 30's walk up my front sidewalk, look at me thru the window and ring the bell. I warily answered the door with the storm door locked and my 125# German Shepherd in tow and listened to this guy's tale of woe. He was out of gas. Did I have any? No, I didn't. "Where's your car?" I asked him. "Oh, it's a ways down the block. I was visiting some friends down the street, and when I left, I got about a half-block before I ran out." "Why didn't you go back and knock on THEIR door before knocking on mine?" "I didn't want to bother them."

I told him to wait a minute, closed and locked the door and gave him $2 through the window. After he walked off, I called 911 and reported a suspicious person panhandling, called Tom to come home and loaded my .38.

I won't finish the rest of the story, but just told this part to show that color made no difference. The guy was suspicious. I called the cops on him. What I didn't do, though, was lie and say he'd tried to break in.

Somebody at 2:30 AM?? I'm most definitely calling the cops. And, no, I don't care if they're green. ;)

Interesting story and glad you were not hurt or nothing bad that happened to you.

Now regarding what you said in that "color made no difference" well the societal axiom in that regard would be that "color made no difference to you" but that is not the same view that everyone else hold it just means that on an individual basis it made no difference to you.

You are excused but only in the sense that you have asked for it. Maggie is alot of things - liar is not among them. Furthermore, the claim that having someone pounding on your door at 0230 in the morning would be scary to a woman home alone at night isn't exactly groundbreaking.

:shrug: so? If I ran up to someone with a weapon and pointed it at them, I wouldn't get offended that they were afraid and claim it was becaues of a bias against men, or a belief that all veterans have PTSD, I would assume it was because of my behavior. Such as, for example, pounding on someone's door at 0230 am.

No doubt. It comforts people to believe that. It feeds a victim narrative that makes life easier. It allows one to feel morally superior. But there is no evidence (as of yet) that it actually happened, just the supposition that if it had been a large white male charging the police they would have instead somehow acted differently.

In responding to the bold as you've put that scenario, there is a difference between running up on someone with a weapon as opposed to being disarmed. That is also a different scenario in terms of being in the comfort of your own house as opposed to being out in the street. I find it funny when you mention my comment towards Maggie (which I wasn't saying she was a liar, I was merely alluding to the idea that color is not an issue to people when it comes to situations as the aforementioned story) about not believing it yet, as I mentioned my experience as a man of color your initial response was "so?" Yes my experiences along with the tens of millions of people of color's experiences doesn't matter except Maggie's. Gotcha

I meant what I said. I have known cops to get away with far sketchier shootings. The cop turning himself in means nothing--fleeing an arrest doesn't prove your innocence, nor does having an indictment issued for you prove your guilt.

The cop turning himself in is an admission of guilt. The police department issuing the statement that he used excessive force is an admission of wrongdoing. Police are trained to subdue people who they feel are dangerous, and I'm sure there is training regarding unarmed assailants. There was wrongdoing on the part of the cop and it doesn't matter which way you slice it. Just read the article.

Last edited:

She called the cops, she didn't shoot him through the door or something. She did nothing wrong. Geez.

I don't think you get it. I'm not chastising the woman, I'm merely stating a hypothetical based on my experience as a person of color that the situation would be different if the guy was white. I'm sorry if that bothers you but that is my opinion.

We had a series of rapes where I live where the dude knocked on the door then forced his way in if it was a woman who answered. You want all this sympathy, that's fine, but how about trying to understand the unique dangers to a woman home alone.

Sure I understand the dangers of being home alone but difference between you and I is that I don't emphasize those dangers based on gender. If someone is going to cause harm and destruction to someone on their own property it wont matter if it's a male or female. In regards to sympathy I'm not asking for anything, I'm merely noting that I'm sure the scenario would be different if the guy was not a person of color.

The cop turning himself in is an admission of guilt. the police department issuing the statement that he used excessive force is an admission of wrongdoing. Police are trained to subdue people who they feel are dangerous, and I'm sure there is training regarding unarmed assailants. There was wrongdoing on the part of the cop and it doesn't matter which way you slice it. Just read the article.

I read the article. I still stand by my statement no matter how you slice it. Turning yourself in is not an admission of guilt no matter how badly you want it to be. It is much more convenient to schedule your incarceration rather than to have the cops plow through your front door and flatten your ass in front of your family. The police department does not decide if he broke the law--the Courts will :2wave:

I'm not chastising the woman, I'm merely stating a hypothetical based on my experience as a person of color that the situation would be different if the guy was white.

Well, if you believe that the incident and your hypothetical are race specific and inversely related, then clearly, you are chastising everyone involved, including the woman.

I read the article. I still stand by my statement no matter how you slice it. Turning yourself in is not an admission of guilt no matter how badly you want it to be. It is much more convenient to schedule your incarceration rather than to have the cops plow through your front door and flatten your ass in front of your family. The police department does not decide if he broke the law--the Courts will :2wave:

I want justice. As a college student myself and who has been accosted wrongfully by police before I want this man to have justice. The police have an obligation to have appropriate reaction to situations like this. I know to you (yes this is an assumption) this is just another dead person but this guy had a life.

Well, if you believe that the incident and your hypothetical are race specific and inversely related, then clearly, you are chastising everyone involved, including the woman.

Care to explain how? Because I've had that experience for majority of my 31 years of existing on this planet?

I want justice. As a college student myself and who has been accosted wrongfully by police before I want this man to have justice. The police have an obligation to have appropriate reaction to situations like this. I know to you (yes this is an assumption) this is just another dead person but this guy had a life.

So you don't mind throwing that innocent until proven guilty thing out the window when it was a white shooter and a black victim? How very post-modern of you.

Back
Top Bottom