• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cop Killed

Bodi

Just waiting for my set...
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
New Zealand police shooting: One officer dead and another seriously injured - BBC News

"A police officer has been shot dead during a routine traffic stop in Auckland, New Zealand.Another officer was seriously injured. The shooter fled the scene in a vehicle and it's not known if he's been caught.
Around four hours after the shooting, armed police stormed a house and arrested two men, local media said.
Police in New Zealand do not normally carry guns, and it is rare for officers to be killed in the line of duty.
According to the police, the last was in May 2009, when a senior constable was shot at a house in Napier while carrying out a routine search warrant."

I could not remember the last time a cop was killed. 2009.

Crazy... the main reason? Our cops are not confrontational assholes to innocent citizens.

Well, prepare for all of the left wing activist on DP to start praising the shooter.

Yes, your comments are far-fetched trolling.

No, seeing as we have plenty of left leaning posters who're more than willing to claim such horrible things about a cop, that simply shot a man in self defense, or any other for that matter.

It's not too far fetched to think that some of them would speak up in favor of a man who outright killed one.

They will also make not excuse in posting the same deviation my own. Usually on any appropriate thread, starting with the phrase:
-Waiting for the usual right wing posters to give their deflections and excuses-

Or some variation of that.

No, seeing as we have plenty of left leaning posters who're more than willing to claim such horrible things about a cop, that simply shot a man in self defense, or any other for that matter. It's not too far fetched to think that some of them would speak up in favor of a man who outright killed one. They will also make not excuse in posting the same deviation my own. Usually on any appropriate thread, starting with the phrase: Or some variation of that.

The deviation is yours, my friend. No one supports cop killing, except crazies on the far right and the far left.

New Zealand police shooting: One officer dead and another seriously injured - BBC News

"A police officer has been shot dead during a routine traffic stop in Auckland, New Zealand.Another officer was seriously injured. The shooter fled the scene in a vehicle and it's not known if he's been caught.
Around four hours after the shooting, armed police stormed a house and arrested two men, local media said.
Police in New Zealand do not normally carry guns, and it is rare for officers to be killed in the line of duty.
According to the police, the last was in May 2009, when a senior constable was shot at a house in Napier while carrying out a routine search warrant."

Crazy... the main reason? Our cops are not confrontational assholes to innocent citizens.

According to the FBI, which publishes the data in the Uniform Crime Reports, from 1980–2014, an average of 64 law enforcement officers were feloniously killed per year.

Compared to one in 11 years in new zealand.

The difference being that cops in nz do not open carry guns. They actually have to talk to people without being threatening. Where as american cops need only rely on making a point by putting their hand on their gun and in doing so invite a similar reaction.

Now i fully understand that my next comment will have many americans falling off their seats with laughter, but lets try it anyway.

It has been said that once pandoras box has been opened it can never be closed again. And that is the situation with guns in america.

But studies have shown and it is quite obvious that guns do make people more aggressive. So one part of the solution to aggressive cops that think the law is in their holster is to remove guns from police.

Compared to one in 11 years in new zealand.

The difference being that cops in nz do not open carry guns. They actually have to talk to people without being threatening. Where as american cops need only rely on making a point by putting their hand on their gun and in doing so invite a similar reaction.

Isn't that what I just said?

Now i fully understand that my next comment will have many americans falling off their seats with laughter, but lets try it anyway.

It has been said that once pandoras box has been opened it can never be closed again. And that is the situation with guns in america.

But studies have shown and it is quite obvious that guns do make people more aggressive. So one part of the solution to aggressive cops that think the law is in their holster is to remove guns from police.

Our make the mere action of pulling a gun a very serious action... or perhaps to do what we have here and that is have the guns locked in the trunk only to be used when the actual need for a gun arises.

Isn't that what I just said?

Our make the mere action of pulling a gun a very serious action... or perhaps to do what we have here and that is have the guns locked in the trunk only to be used when the actual need for a gun arises.

Yes, but i said it better :)

The mere fact of carrying a gun does produce a more aggressive response.
The "Weapons Effect" | Psychology Today New Zealand
Research also shows that drivers with guns in their cars more likely to drive aggressively.[2] A nationally representative sample of over 2,000 American drivers found that those who had a gun in the car were significantly more likely to make obscene gestures at other motorists (23% vs. 16%), aggressively follow another vehicle too closely (14% vs. 8%), or both (6.3% vs. 2.8%), even after controlling for many other factors related to aggressive driving (e.g., gender, age, urbanization, census region, driving frequency).

The question americans need to ask is do they want cops who are more likely to act aggressively against anyone they deal with or do they want cops who are their to help the community.

My condolences to New Zealand citizens for their loss. :(

Yes, but i said it better :)

/Like

The question americans need to ask is do they want cops who are more likely to act aggressively against anyone they deal with or do they want cops who are their to help the community.

Agreed. The first time I was pulled over in California was for barely speeding. All good. Give me a ticket. What shocked me and scared the **** out of me as a 19 year old was that the cop, as he was approaching my driver side window, put his hand on his gun as he walked up. I saw it in the side mirror. I was very nervous. Ever since then I don't trust cops. Sad to say...

My condolences to New Zealand citizens for their loss. :(

Thank you...

I hope that this does not put a damper on cops remaining unarmed here or reduce America's chances of disarming (or at least having their guns in their trunks) because a less armed or unarmed police force is much better.

It was pretty shocking. We found out during lunch break. It sent shock waves through the staff as we were sitting there in the staff room eating lunch and students were shocked as well. This stuff just does not happen here... it happened in Auckland which is like a mega city compared to where we live but still. The police have some good leads and some suspects that they are asking the public to help track down... they know a female that helped the shooter, apparently, to get away or hide.

I was just hanging out with two cops three days ago as I do most of the morning crossings at the crosswalk for the students coming the school and every week or two the police send units to most schools to be a presence to slow down drivers.... I hope that they are coping.

The deviation is yours, my friend. No one supports cop killing, except crazies on the far right and the far left.

Yes, I know. Which I've pointed out that we do in fact have here on the site...

Any other asinine topics that you'd like to bring up?

I am only responding to yours and others

Back
Top Bottom