• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Cop charged in Air Force security officer shooting

scottyz

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. - A sheriff's deputy who was videotaped shooting an unarmed
Iraq War veteran after a car chase will be charged with attempted voluntary manslaughter, authorities said Tuesday.

The decision to charge Deputy Ivory J. Webb, 45, was announced by San Bernardino County District Attorney Michael A. Ramos.

Sheriff Gary Penrod said Webb will remain on paid administrative leave during the investigation into the shooting of Air Force Senior Airman Elio Carrion, 21.

"I respect the decision of the district attorney's office," Penrod said.

It is the first time the county's prosecutors have filed charges against a lawman for an on-duty shooting.

Webb's arraignment was set for Wednesday. If convicted, he could face up to 18 1/2 years in prison.

The charge includes the special allegations of infliction of great bodily injury and use of a firearm, Ramos said at a news conference. In California, such enhancements can result in extra prison time.

An attempted-murder charge was not filed because there was no finding of malice, Ramos said

The
FBI is investigating possible civil rights violations. The sheriff's department conducted its own probe and gave the results to the district attorney's office.

At the time, the sheriff said the videotape "arouses a lot of suspicion," but he pointed out that it is fuzzy and contains gaps.

Ramos assigned two top attorneys to review the shooting and requested an FBI enhancement of the videotape.

Charging Webb was a "difficult decision," Ramos said, but enhancing the videotape "made our decision easier."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060307/ap_on_re_us/airman_shooting;_ylt=Ai8qTiuTUomrhw45pynEhbxvzwcF;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

Seems like that is a pretty light charge for shooting a unarmed man who was complying 3 times at point blank range. He was not driving the car involved in the high speed pursuit.

Heck, I'm just surprised he was actually charged at all, f**k em, I hope the boys in prison have a good time with him, stupid pig!!!

Deegan said:
Heck, I'm just surprised he was actually charged at all, f**k em, I hope the boys in prison have a good time with him, stupid pig!!!
I'm sure he wouldn't have been charged if that video tape didn't exist.

scottyz said:
I'm sure he wouldn't have been charged if that video tape didn't exist.

Well no of course not... THis would be there proof.. And without it there really wouldn't be a case now would there. It's not a conspiracy, it's burden of proof.

Calm2Chaos said:
Well no of course not... THis would be there proof.. And without it there really wouldn't be a case now would there. It's not a conspiracy, it's burden of proof.
If it weren't for the tape it would be the victims and eye witness testimony vs. the cops testimony and there wouldn't be any charges i'm sure. The tape is irrefutable though and the degree of public outrage over it is forcing them to do something.

It certainly gives one pause, I often wonder how many other folks are killed for less then appropriate reasons!:shock:

Deegan said:
It certainly gives one pause, I often wonder how many other folks are killed for less then appropriate reasons!:shock:

Not to mention how many other folks aren't killed for appropriate reasons

Calm2Chaos said:
Not to mention how many other folks aren't killed for appropriate reasons

Are you somehow justifying bad behavior, by pointing to other bad behavior?:confused:

Deegan said:
Are you somehow justifying bad behavior, by pointing to other bad behavior?:confused:

Not at all...

Got to say that the tape is pretty damning I mean you can hear the cop telling him to stand up. But the clincher and what's going to sign this guys ticket up the road is the fact that he shot an Iraqi war veteran, thankgod the man survived.

Back
Top Bottom