• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cop attacked, DOES NOT use gun

holbritter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
There are many more confrontations that do not end in a shooting. I thought I'd give just one some air time. It is much more representative of day to day situations they face. Good job NYPD.

https://nypost.com/2018/12/24/the-m...ced-to-battle-vagrants-on-a-subway-Patrolling a Manhattan subway station turned into a battle royale for a lone NYPD cop who was forced to fight off a group of hostile vagrants — one of whom tumbled to the tracks, according to a disturbing new video.

A 47-second clip of the encounter shows the uniformed officer holding a collapsible baton at the ready and repeatedly ordering the men to “stand back” as he backs up along a staircase.

The video — which was shot from behind the cop and posted online — then shows a man in a baseball hat step over another man sprawled on the platform and approach the cop, who kicks him in the leg and knocks him to the floor.

“Stand back! I don’t want to hurt you!” the cop says as two other men approach.

The cop kicks one of those men to the floor, but he immediately pops up and starts throwing punches, which the cop counters with smacks from his baton.

https://nypost.com/2018/12/24/the-m...rced-to-battle-vagrants-on-a-subway-platform/

Corrected link.

Last edited:
the link doen't work (at least from my computer).

Once again a police officer doing a thankless job. The thin blue line.

A little more from the printed story. ( Could not get the link to the video to work?)

PBA president Pat Lynch blamed the incident on Mayor Bill de Blasio’s handling of the city’s homeless crisis, saying: “Once again, in de Blasio’s New York, we see a police officer having to rectify a problem allowed to fester by the inaction of this administration.”

Lynch said the unidentified cop “used textbook defensive measures taught in the police academy against overwhelming odds in an effort to protect himself and anyone else on the platform.’

“He is to be commended for good work and courage,” Lynch added.

The scene of the attack is a sticky, foul-smelling area littered with matted cardboard and dozens of empty Budweiser cans and Georgi vodka pint bottles strewn about the tracks.

https://nypost.com/2018/12/24/the-moment-an-nypd-cop-was-forced-to-battle-vagrants-on-a-subway-platform/

Why was the cop alone?

There should always be at least two cops together -- in every American city nowadays.

Don't blame the mayor of NYC. Blame the foolish liberals who elected him!

Who hasn't had to do that? ;)

Props to the cop for courage.

See, there are plenty of tough situations that don't require anyone to be shot to death.

See, there are plenty of tough situations that don't require anyone to be shot to death.

No surprise a leftwinger expects a lone police officer to fight off 3 or 4 attackers. If the cop is beaten to death or severely and permanently injured, so what?

If his superior I would pull that officer off the street and not give him the option of endangering himself trying to dance around cop-hating Democratic politicians. In cities that have politicians who campaign on hating cops, my advise to every police officer in that city is to never under any circumstances take any risk whatsoever. In any dangerous situation just walk or run away.

Link didn’t work for me. Here is the YouTube video.

That is the kind of person we want in uniform. Somebody who can read a situation, is courageous, and uses the minimum force necessary for the task at hand. Based on this video at least.

That officer is a suicidal fool and a real chump. If the 4 had rushed him they could have shot him to death with his own sidearm.

But he is the type of police officer cop-hating Democratic politicians want, who see the only reason police should have sidearms is to give criminals an opportunity to take it and kill the cop with, for which in any lethal confrontation with criminals they want to cop to be the one killed. That officer is an idiot. He accomplished absolutely nothing other than endangering his own life and others if any one of them got his sidearm - all for no purpose whatsoever.

Other than endangering his own life, explain what he accomplished? NYC police should have a simple goals. 1.) Confront and arrest no one and 2.) avoid or leave any dangerous situation. That way they are safe - physically and legally.

That officer is a suicidal fool and a real chump. If the 4 had rushed him they could have shot him to death with his own sidearm.

But he is the type of police officer cop-hating Democratic politicians want, who see the only reason police should have sidearms is to give criminals an opportunity to take it and kill the cop with, for which in any lethal confrontation with criminals they want to cop to be the one killed. That officer is an idiot. He accomplished absolutely nothing other than endangering his own life and others if any one of them got his sidearm - all for no purpose whatsoever.

Other than endangering his own life, explain what he accomplished? NYC police should have a simple goals. 1.) Confront and arrest no one and 2.) avoid or leave any dangerous situation. That way they are safe - physically and legally.

There is word that describes the cop’s actions: restraint.

Four on one is gun time. Period.

There is word that describes the cop’s actions: restraint.

No, his conduct was incompetence and taking unnecessary risks for no purpose whatsoever.

Four on one is gun time. Period.

:lol:

Just go back to your cabin and eat raw fish... or meat... you are too tough for a civilized society...

No, his conduct was incompetence and taking unnecessary risks for no purpose whatsoever.

You crack me up... generally...

...but not this time...

:lol:

Just go back to your cabin and eat raw fish... or meat... you are too tough for a civilized society...
I'm confused. Do you mean to suggest that four attackers on one victim is NOT a deadly force scenario? How would you overcome four people attacking you at once? How Kung Fu are you?

But I may be misinterpreting your post...

I'm confused. Do you mean to suggest that four attackers on one victim is NOT a deadly force scenario? How would you overcome four people attacking you at once? How Kung Fu are you?

But I may be misinterpreting your post...

I am a little kung fu but mostly shotokan and jui-jitsu... that said, it seems you answered your own question. This cop overcame four people attacking him with his stick... no deadly force needed.

I am a little kung fu but mostly shotokan and jui-jitsu... that said, it seems you answered your own question. This cop overcame four people attacking him with his stick... no deadly force needed.

Nothing accomplished too but risks - and demonstrating they can run off the police by assault as the lesson that officer taught them.

Why was the cop alone?

There should always be at least two cops together -- in every American city nowadays.

Don't blame the mayor of NYC. Blame the foolish liberals who elected him!

In just four posts, you shifted praise of a police officer who showed great restraint to blaming the liberals. Bravo. :bravo:

You think a bunch of drunk hobo's need to be gunned down for harassing a cop? The onlooker in the video said they were clearly drunk and one weak kick to the leg dropped one of them.

In Sweden there are mostly unarmed security guards that patrole the subway in the capital Stockholm. There they can be effective like this guy.

Explain what he accomplished? He showed that there ARE a few good men in NYPD, and showed that they are not all trigger-happy misanthropes. The profession needs such demonstrations now and then.

Had his attackers been armed, hopefully the cop would use deadly force and be justified!!

And there are plenty of tough situations that do require someone being shot to death.

Back
Top Bottom