• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cool bookstore I found

I found a crazy cool bookstore in Ithaca today. Not often you see bookstores carrying this much anarchist literature.
IMG_1839.jpegIMG_1842.jpeg67010169170__D3AE0566-DD77-4574-AC2E-E857E9879717.jpeg

I ended up buying the Queercore, the book on Rojava, and the Kropotkin book on anarchism. I have more money than time these days and the books were so cheap so we will see how many I get through, but I'm super excited to see a bookstore carrying book like this. I think I'm going to start with the Kropotkin book.

The book I am thinking of buying next is called the fourth turning by Neil Howe

What's it about? I feel like I have more money than time these days. So many books I can buy! So little time to read them 🙃

What's it about? I feel like I have more money than time these days. So many books I can buy! So little time to read them 🙃
It’s an interesting premise that every there are four generational ideologies that repeat in order.

Every fourth generation, society experiences a bit of a crisis as people stop believing in institutions (generations 3 and 4 (boomers and gen x in this cycle) and on the first generation of the next cycle new institutions are formed by the progressives of that new first generation.

What’s interesting is that it was written in 1997 and it pegged the financial collapse to 2005 (3 years off) and states that our current malaise will probably last another 5-8 years before the progressives build new instructions again. Given how progressive millennials are, this book supposes they will have norms that are alien to older generations and rebuild society in their image for the next cycle. Like how the GI generation did after WW2.

It may be a load of bunk but I would like to see what the author thinks in their own words.

How are the wings at Dinosaur Bar B Que?

That is awesome. Unfortunately, most of the better used/independent bookstores in my neck of the woods have closed. My wife and I have to go to coast to find bookstores with similarly wide selections.

I can very much recommend this book, if you enjoy history, particularly American history.

And let's not forget Steve Bannon got many of his ideas from this book, and liked it so much he did a movie on it!

There's a lot of Bannon & Trump administration thought in this book, which is a bit scary.

I can very much recommend this book, if you enjoy history, particularly American history.

And let's not forget Steve Bannon got many of his ideas from this book, and liked it so much he did a movie on it!

There's a lot of Bannon & Trump administration thought in this book, which is a bit scary.
My two favorite bookstores in the Twin Cities....

The Midway Book Store:

And Uncle Hugos Sci Fi and Mystery Bookstore......which was unfortunately burned to the ground by mindless, savage looting thugs in Minneapolis; it may never come back....

I caught some interviews from the author, he’s actually quite progressive and I have to admit it’s funny to watch the (usually conservative) YouTubers react to his attitude.

Finding a cool bookstore is one of life's simple pleasures. One that's special to me is this place, that I discovered about thirty years ago. I was in there often, and I knew Ron, the owner, and I remember thinking, "No way will this place survive." This was a time when stores like Barnes and Noble and Waldenbooks were everywhere. But he did survive, because he had books you couldn't get at the chain stores.

When I lived in NYC in the 80s, I discovered the Strand, the mother of all book stores. Hole lee shit, you could spend hours days weeks in there the place was huge. For a short while I had a dream of opening a small book store in lower Manhattan, but the rents were outrageous.

Thanks for the recommendation - I'll add that to my list.

Thanks for the recommendation - I'll add that to my list.

Not at all, my friend!

--

The history though, is more perfunctory - than enlightening.

In addition, you've got to consider the hypothesis, because the history is essentially supplied in evidence to support his hypothesis. That's more or less the bulk of the book, until nearer the end.

Most of the history elucidated will likely be known by those that had a fair amount of history in a good college-prep high-school program, or had some college level history. However it was enjoyable researching & re-learning many of the events and individuals presented, which I had forgotten the details of or only knew in passing.

There will be a ton of history presented. However, it won't be deep. In fact, much of it is pretty light. But, it is voluminous in quantity! Be forewarned!

Are you in Ithaca, New York?

Maybe there's another Ithaca.
I am in Ithaca! It’s a really cute town. Terrible raids though.

That is awesome. Unfortunately, most of the better used/independent bookstores in my neck of the woods have closed. My wife and I have to go to coast to find bookstores with similarly wide selections.
That bookstore is amazing and has many used/old books. It’s sad to see so many bookstores close. I love physical books and just hanging out in bookstores.

I caught some interviews from the author, he’s actually quite progressive and I have to admit it’s funny to watch the (usually conservative) YouTubers react to his attitude.

I have no idea about the author personally, to be honest.

But remember, the theory is every 80 years a society & it's institutions have to be torn down, so the true & pure essence of the society can re-emerge! You took that to mean a progressive revolution, but Bannon, Trump, and the Trump Administration & Trumpian sectors of the Right Wing & GOP believe this empowers them tear apart our current society & governance, to instill their form of nationalism. This is dangerous stuff!

I have no idea about the author personally, to be honest.

But remember, the theory is every 80 years a society & it's institutions have to be torn down, so the true & pure essence of the society can re-emerge! You took that to mean a progressive revolution, but Bannon, Trump, and the Trump Administration & Trumpian sectors of the Right Wing & GOP believe this empowers them tear apart our current society & governance, to instill their form of nationalism. This is dangerous stuff!
Agreed, they wanted to hijack the process.

Agreed, they wanted to hijack the process.

Yes, agreed. They believe they are the process, and are empowered to do so, and that by doing so they are 'restoring America'.

And 'purity' to them means, 'Caucasian, English-speaking, Christian Culture'. Let's not forget that!

I've never watched Bannon's movie on the subject. but it might have been on YouTube a few years back. I remember seeing it somewhere with free public access, but don't exactly remember where.

Yes, agreed. They believe they are the process, and are empowered to do so, and that by doing so they are 'restoring America'.

And 'purity' to them means, 'Caucasian, English-speaking, Christian Culture'. Let's not forget that!

I've never watched Bannon's movie on the subject. but it might have been on YouTube a few years back. I remember seeing it somewhere with free public access, but don't exactly remember where.
I caught his frontline interview. He pines for life in the 50s as far as I can tell, but the sad irony, is that what Bannon is contributing (per Howe's theory) is towards the crash that will cause the rise of the new "hero" generation (millennials).

The thing he (and many of us on this forum) misses is that today's millennials are so checked out of the culture and politics that people on this forum argue about that when that generation takes the reigns, their desires are going to be things like climate, college affordability, housing costs, social cohesion, school shootings, government transparency and social moderation (agreeableness and politeness).

They tend not to care (polls show only about 30% of millennials want evangelical stuff) so much about the stuff the current GOP is pushing (and are also turning (less then the GOP, but still turning away) from the democrats as well since the democrats won't listen to their priorities).

"Raids"? As in police raids?
I meant roads 😩

Too late to edit. But the roads are literally some of the worst in the country. I'm not even exaggerating it is horrible. The Teslas are all the rich kids that go to school there drive must lose $10k in value within a week between the potholes and salt.

Nomad4ever:

Great books never age and are an intellectual investment for your future days. Carpe Librium! (Seize the book).

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Interesting how you characterize what Bannon and et all want to do. Obviously it is based on third party information and partial information. Pity.
I meant roads 😩

Too late to edit. But the roads are literally some of the worst in the country. I'm not even exaggerating it is horrible. The Teslas are all the rich kids that go to school there drive must lose $10k in value within a week between the potholes and salt.
Those rich kids in their Teslas and BMWs pay a boat load of taxes for the some of the crappiest roads in the wold. You would think with all the tax paid those roads would be butter smooth. Gotta love their government crying about money while doing nothing.

I caught his frontline interview. He pines for life in the 50s as far as I can tell, but the sad irony, is that what Bannon is contributing (per Howe's theory) is towards the crash that will cause the rise of the new "hero" generation (millennials).

That's an interesting observation.

The thing he (and many of us on this forum) misses is that today's millennials are so checked out of the culture and politics that people on this forum argue about that when that generation takes the reigns, their desires are going to be things like climate, college affordability, housing costs, social cohesion, school shootings, government transparency and social moderation (agreeableness and politeness).

Hah!

The exact opposite of the Trump-GOP core ideologies!

They tend not to care (polls show only about 30% of millennials want evangelical stuff) so much about the stuff the current GOP is pushing (and are also turning (less then the GOP, but still turning away) from the democrats as well since the democrats won't listen to their priorities).

Well, this is an interesting theory, I must admit. It does coincide with the books hypothesis.

Thanks much for sharing this.

Back
Top Bottom