• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cool bookstore I found

I found a crazy cool bookstore in Ithaca today. Not often you see bookstores carrying this much anarchist literature.
IMG_1839.jpegIMG_1842.jpeg67010169170__D3AE0566-DD77-4574-AC2E-E857E9879717.jpeg

I ended up buying the Queercore, the book on Rojava, and the Kropotkin book on anarchism. I have more money than time these days and the books were so cheap so we will see how many I get through, but I'm super excited to see a bookstore carrying book like this. I think I'm going to start with the Kropotkin book.

Nomad4ever:

Great books never age and are an intellectual investment for your future days. Carpe Librium! (Seize the book).

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Hah!

Well, this is an interesting theory, I must admit. It does coincide with the books hypothesis.

Thanks much for sharing this.
As a 23 year old certified Zoomer, that part seems at least mostly accurate. From my experience the sort of default position for most young people is a sort of apolitical nihilism that's broadly critical of the current status quo. How this manifests itself is just generally being against things like large corporations, our institutions in general, and a sort of vague discontent with the world our current systems have created.

Speaking very broadly:

This has interesting consequences as you start to look at more 'political' young people vs the average apolitical one. Many conservative young people are nominally worried about things like climate change, for example. They generally disagree with the left more on social issues than economic ones compared to the current Republican/Democrat divide. Though they are certainly more socially liberal than older Republicans. They are often critical of things like "big tech" and want the government to do more to break up monopolies and reduce money in politics. These ideals led many of them to supporting Trump as they took much of what he said about 'draining the swamp' at face value.

Young people on the left generally find themselves feeling disenfranchised with the Democratic party. They are very critical and aware of things like civilian casualties from US drone strikes and the failures of the DNC to follow through on many of their more progressive campaign promises. Most young progressives see people like Bernie, AOC, Warren, etc as the future of the Democratic party.

Generally though I really do think political nihilism is the strongest undercurrent for most young people.

Edit: political cynicism would probably be an apt description as well

Last edited:
As a 23 year old certified Zoomer,

Is that what your generation is now called?

Hah! I can see it!

that part seems at least mostly accurate. From my experience the sort of default position for most young people is a sort of apolitical nihilism that's broadly critical of the current status quo. How this manifests itself is just generally being against things like large corporations, our institutions in general, and a sort of vague discontent with the world our current systems have created.

I think the bolded is a great phrase. Well said.

Speaking very broadly:

This has interesting consequences as you start to look at more 'political' young people vs the average apolitical one. Many conservative young people are nominally worried about things like climate change, for example. They generally disagree with the left more on social issues than economic ones compared to the current Republican/Democrat divide. Though they are certainly more socially liberal than older Republicans.

I think this would be a good thing. I have no problems with Conservatives or Conservative principles, as long as they're moderate and 'principled' themselves.

Ditto for Liberals & Liberalism!

They are often critical of things like "big tech" and want the government to do more to break up monopolies and reduce money in politics. These ideals led many of them to supporting Trump as they took much of what he said about 'draining the swamp' at face value.

So, you're saying they're 'too young to be wise'? :p

Young people on the left generally find themselves feeling disenfranchised with the Democratic party. They are very critical and aware of things like civilian casualties from US drone strikes and the failures of the DNC to follow through on many of their more progressive campaign promises.

And that is a sad thing, but it is, IMO, somewhat - but not totally - the Party's own fault.

There also was a time the Party owned Labor, the blue-collars, and the middle & working-class. But they took them for granted and ceded them away.

Most young progressives see people like Bernie, AOC, Warren, etc as the future of the Democratic party.

You might be surprised as to how many middle-aged & older folk love Bernie! He has great appeal for many!

As to Warren, I greatly respect her work and mission, even though she wasn't my Presidential choice this time around. I would've been fine with her as Veep though. She does get reasonable respect from many in the older generations I know, for what it's worth.

AOC is definitely polarizing. I do admit most of the middle-aged and older crowd are not too crazy about her.

Generally though I really do think political nihilism is the strongest undercurrent for most young people.

Again it's a great term, but a sad one too.

And to apply it to a larger meaning, Nihilism itself is not exactly unknown among late teens through early & mid twenty-somethings!

Edit: political cynicism would probably be an apt description as well

As it should be, and always is, among young people! And not just about politics! Youth's' DNA's mission is, and should be, to question everything and move us forward! It's the circle of life, my friend

--

Thanks for the 411. (y)

Is that what your generation is now called?
The official term is Gen Z (1996 or later). Zoomer is the much more fun colloquial term :cool:

So, you're saying they're 'too young to be wise'? :p
Well, no small shortage of older generations voted for Trump. I think young people voted for Trump for different reasons than older generations did. They are a different kind of conservative informed by slightly different priorities and values.

AOC is definitely polarizing. I do admit most of the middle-aged and older crowd are not too crazy about her.
AOC is super popular with the TikTok and Twitch crowd. She knows this and plays into it. Talks about playing video games on her twitter and did a gaming stream with a few large Twitch streamers.

I have seen some younger conservative candidates post memes and anime references. It is interesting to see elements of pop culture being incorporated into mainstream political messaging.

As it should be, and always is, among young people! And not just about politics! Youth's' DNA's mission is, and should be, to question everything and move us forward! It's the circle of life, my friend
Maybe! I do think this is a little bit different. The term young people came up with to describe this phenomenon is "doomer". There is definitely this sense that the world is too broken to fix. Climate doomerism I think is pretty easy to understand, but there is also a sense that we will never be able to effect meaningful change within our current political system. It is definitely a trend that needs to be fought against to get young people politically engaged, especially on the left.

This feeling was REAAAAALLY common after Bernie lost in 2016. For a lot of older Gen Z and younger millennials this was their first time being politically engaged. After Bernie lost a lot of people were like, "welp, the system is against us. The Neoliberal establishment will never let a candidate like Bernie win. I was naive for thinking I could make a difference" and other stuff like that.

This thread and accompanying video I think explains it well.

Back
Top Bottom