• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cooking

Hoplite

Technomancer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Something I've always loved cooking. People always look at me funny because apparently dudes aren't supposed to like cooking ("Thats what your wife is for!") but I cant help it. I love making new things and experimenting with new dishes.

I usually go for more bold and out-there flavors; chiles, vinegar, pepper, tomatoes. I also gravitate towards Thai and Chinese cooking, I love doing stir-fry. And NOTHING beats a bottle of home-made hotsauce.

I find the best results by taking a "rule" of the kitchen and deliberately breaking it. There are a multitude of different things that "you just dont do" with food and some of these are well-founded but a lot more are based on sort of kitchen tradition. A chef at a five star decided that something shouldnt be done, so it filtered down into common kitchen lore via cooking magazines and cooking shows.

There are a couple of dynamite combinations I've found.

Get some Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ sauce and Louisiana Wing Sauce and add a splash or two of the wing sauce into a bowl of the BBQ sauce and marinate a steak in it. Once the steak goes on the grill, use a brush and liberally apply it to the steak. You end up with a great color and an amazing taste.

Garlic oil is an amazing addition to any kitchen. Chop up a couple heads of garlic and peel the skin off. Drop the garlic into a container of olive oil and let it sit for about a week. Be sure to keep an eye on the bottle as the oil will slowly displace the air inside the garlic and you'll get a pressure build-up in the bottle. I've never had one explode but the air can bubble up enough to push oil out of the bottle. Use the garlic oil wherever you'd use regular olive oil, be sure to shake the bottle before you use the oil. The garlic will turn brown after a while, but that's normal and it's still usable.

I enjoy cooking too. Usually when it comes to recipes I follow the recipe to the letter the first time and then modify them after the second or third time, unless it is bread. I like to sometimes try recipes from tv shows like the Hot Tamales from Good Eats, Ciabatta bread from Americas Test Kitchen(I used a kitchen aid food processor), Easy re-fried beans from America's Test Kitchen, Spaetzel from Tyler's Ultimate, Dark Chocolate Mousse from America's test kitchen.

The vast majority of world-famous chefs are male. For every one Julia Child out there, there's a Puck, a Lagasse, a Frugal Gourmet, and a dozen others.

There may be more female cooks, but there are more male chefs. Besides, domestic skills should be learned by both sexes. I can cook (rather well I must say), I can clean, and I can do laundry. I'm not dependent upon someone else to do any of that for me, which is valuable in today's world where you don't graduate high school and rush to the altar with the first person you meet.

i'm the best cook, i can cook heaps, pasta, toast, noodles, rice, all that complicated stuff :mrgreen:

Something I've always loved cooking. People always look at me funny because apparently dudes aren't supposed to like cooking ("Thats what your wife is for!") but I cant help it. I love making new things and experimenting with new dishes.

I usually go for more bold and out-there flavors; chiles, vinegar, pepper, tomatoes. I also gravitate towards Thai and Chinese cooking, I love doing stir-fry. And NOTHING beats a bottle of home-made hotsauce.

I find the best results by taking a "rule" of the kitchen and deliberately breaking it. There are a multitude of different things that "you just dont do" with food and some of these are well-founded but a lot more are based on sort of kitchen tradition. A chef at a five star decided that something shouldnt be done, so it filtered down into common kitchen lore via cooking magazines and cooking shows.

Get some Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ sauce and Louisiana Wing Sauce and add a splash or two of the wing sauce into a bowl of the BBQ sauce and marinate a steak in it. Once the steak goes on the grill, use a brush and liberally apply it to the steak. You end up with a great color and an amazing taste.

Garlic oil is an amazing addition to any kitchen. Chop up a couple heads of garlic and peel the skin off. Drop the garlic into a container of olive oil and let it sit for about a week. Be sure to keep an eye on the bottle as the oil will slowly displace the air inside the garlic and you'll get a pressure build-up in the bottle. I've never had one explode but the air can bubble up enough to push oil out of the bottle. Use the garlic oil wherever you'd use regular olive oil, be sure to shake the bottle before you use the oil. The garlic will turn brown after a while, but that's normal and it's still usable.

You're definitely not alone. I love cooking as well. Like you, I tend to like to experiment. I especially love cooking Italian food. One of my absolute favorite dishes is stuffed shells.

You're definitely not alone. I love cooking as well. Like you, I tend to like to experiment. I especially love cooking Italian food. One of my absolute favorite dishes is stuffed shells.
i make a mean homemade chicken soup:mrgreen:

Sounds delish. Good tips. Though I'm obviously not a guy, unless guys are named Maggie, I soooo enjoy the cooking competitions -- Top Chef, etc. Cooking professionally is sure not for sissies. Cooking in your own kitchen isn't either. You go, Hoplite!

I used to like cooking, but I got tired of it.
I don't enjoy it anymore. It's just a boring chore.

HOPLITE IS GAY HAHAHAA *POINTS FINGER AND GIVES EVIL LAUGH*

Dont be silly dude! I respect a guy who can cook, wish i knew. I think they make better chefs than women but dont tell the other's that, shhhh.
I like Jamie Oliver and that French guy who makes amazing cakes and miniature houses from puure candy lust <3
My mum is a cook-a-holic and she makes really yummy food.

What is your most favourite thing to cook? The thing you enjoy making and eating the most?

Back
Top Bottom