• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cooking with Bison

molten_dragon

Anti-Hypocrite
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Does anyone else here ever cook with bison? My wife and I have been trying to eat healthier, and decided to buy some bison meat online and use it in place of beef, since it's a lot leaner than beef is. My wife says she can't tell the difference, I can, but I don't mind it, it's a subtle difference I actually kind of like. So far we've made hamburgers and spaghetti sauce with fresh tomatoes from our garden. Tomorrow I've got a couple of new york strip steaks to grill. Does anyone else ever cook with bison?

I do. It's usually good as steaks, but it ends up drier than I'd like for hamburgers because it's so lean.

Does anyone else here ever cook with bison? My wife and I have been trying to eat healthier, and decided to buy some bison meat online and use it in place of beef, since it's a lot leaner than beef is. My wife says she can't tell the difference, I can, but I don't mind it, it's a subtle difference I actually kind of like. So far we've made hamburgers and spaghetti sauce with fresh tomatoes from our garden. Tomorrow I've got a couple of new york strip steaks to grill. Does anyone else ever cook with bison?

They take up way too much room in my tiny kitchen. ;)

I do. It's usually good as steaks, but it ends up drier than I'd like for hamburgers because it's so lean.

I only eat bison when I go over to Montana and bison burgers are the thing to eat but I cook a lot on wild game and the trick with leaner meat is to cook it hot and fast, cook it slow and it's like chewing your shoe.

Be sure to cook it with a hot grill or oven. The hotter the better. I have a 3 burner propane that I keep almost full high and I get about 550F out of it. That will get a good medium cook and you won't cook it so long that the juice boils out.

Otherwise, use any steak seasoning you like. It is, for all intents and purposes, a very lean cow. So the same spices and recipes you use for cattle work for bison.

How you cook it depends on which cut of bison you're cooking, just like it depends on the cut when you cook regular beef

Because bison steaks are leaner than beef, it should not be overcooked or it will dry out. Rare to med-rare is recommended so cook it on a high heat to sear on both sides and let it rest so the internal temp comes up to rare or med-rare (ie 120-125 degrees F)

Be sure to cook it with a hot grill or oven. The hotter the better. I have a 3 burner propane that I keep almost full high and I get about 550F out of it. That will get a good medium cook and you won't cook it so long that the juice boils out.

Otherwise, use any steak seasoning you like. It is, for all intents and purposes, a very lean cow. So the same spices and recipes you use for cattle work for bison.

Well, we did a couple of new york strips on the grill. I used the instructions that came with the meat. I seared them on the searing burner of my grill for a minute each side then finished them over lower heat on the main part of the grill. They turned out okay. They were a little bit dry so some further experimentation is needed. Next time I may try doing them strictly on the searing burner and seeing if that turns out any better.

Well, we did a couple of new york strips on the grill. I used the instructions that came with the meat. I seared them on the searing burner of my grill for a minute each side then finished them over lower heat on the main part of the grill. They turned out okay. They were a little bit dry so some further experimentation is needed. Next time I may try doing them strictly on the searing burner and seeing if that turns out any better.

High heat. The faster you cook it, the juicier it will be. There is a too hot setting. You don't want to burn the outside and leave the inside raw and cold. But most propane grills can't get to hot.

I've seen it at the store before, but I've never bought it. Curious to try it now though.

pan searing I find works well to combat dryness in steaks. For hamburgers, crack an egg in (or about 2-3 egg whites if you want to watch the fat) to add additional moisture...

pan searing I find works well to combat dryness in steaks. For hamburgers, crack an egg in (or about 2-3 egg whites if you want to watch the fat) to add additional moisture...

IMO, the secret to good hamburgers is minimal handling of the meat, which rules out any mixing of the meat.

You can buy bison on line??

count me in!!!! :mrgreen:

I've heard that buffalo hump is exquisite....

IMO, the secret to good hamburgers is minimal handling of the meat, which rules out any mixing of the meat.

Yeah usually I'd agree, but some people won't eat ground meat cooked under medium well, which requires adjustments...

Fully agreed.

If you want to eat healthier, eat smaller portions and use white meat, not red meat.
White meat -> chicken and almost all kinds of fish.

Back
Top Bottom