• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cook Political Report shifts a dozen states more blue

cpwill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
This was the most winnable election in a generation for the GOP.

And we decided we'd rather act like children.

Now that Donald Trump is the presumptive Republican nominee, 12 states just shifted in Democrats' favor and one went Trump’s direction in the latest set of ratings from The Cook Political Report.
The nonpartisan newsletter announced Thursday that it was changing 13 ratings on its Electoral Vote scorecard now that Trump has pretty much clinched his the GOP nomination....

Although we remain convinced that Hillary Clinton is very vulnerable and would probably lose to most other Republicans, Donald Trump's historic unpopularity with wide swaths of the electorate — women, millennials, independents and Latinos — make him the initial November underdog,” The Cook Political Report writes. “As a result, we are shifting 13 ratings on our Electoral Vote scorecard, almost all of them favoring Democrats.”

Indiana, Missouri and Nebraska’s 2nd district, which had all been labeled “solid” Republican territory, have shifted leftward in Cook's ratings. Indiana and Missouri are now labeled “likely” Republican and Nebraska’s 2nd district has moved into a “toss up” between parties. (Nebraska, like Maine, can split its electoral votes.)

Arizona and Georgia, which were “likely” Republican states previously, are now rated as “lean” Republican. North Carolina, which was previously a “lean” state for Republicans, has been moved to “toss up.”

Colorado, Florida, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Wisconsin were all “toss up” states, but The Cook Political Report now predicts they’ll “lean” toward Democrats. New Mexico, which was rated "Likely Democratic," has shifted solidly blue....

Cook.jpg

I totally agree.

However, there is an enormous contingent of hatred and contempt within the Democrat party for Hillary, too.

Turnout could be an issue for both sides.

I totally agree.

However, there is an enormous contingent of hatred and contempt within the Democrat party for Hillary, too.

Turnout could be an issue for both sides.

The pressure on Bernie Sanders to unequivocally and enthusiastically endorse Hillary will mount as we get closer to the convention. Once that occurs, the threat of a Trump presidency will solidify the Democratic turnout to levels roughly akin to 2008.

The pressure on Bernie Sanders to unequivocally and enthusiastically endorse Hillary will mount as we get closer to the convention. Once that occurs, the threat of a Trump presidency will solidify the Democratic turnout to levels roughly akin to 2008.

After the convention, he will. Before that, he'll probably stick to his normal message and play out the rest of the primaries. He still wants to show up at the convention with as many delegates as possible. If he did withdraw and support her now, it would probably result in even more Bernie supporters staying home. He will most likely be toning down his attack on her and focusing on how he is a much surer bet against Trump. Shillary has enough loose ends she's never been able to tie up that anything is still possible. I certainly won't disagree as to what is likely though.

Either way though your right, the majority of people will unite behind whoever carries the dem banner, against Trump. November will be decided in July.

My guess is Bernie will only endorse her if she agrees to push for some of his policy positions. He said as much in a TYT interview. Doesn't mean she will keep her promise to him, of course.

My guess is Bernie will only endorse her if she agrees to push for some of his policy positions. He said as much in a TYT interview. Doesn't mean she will keep her promise to him, of course.

Yea, what do you think is on his wish list? I've heard that he would try to push for the elimination of Super Delegates or perhaps some modification to how they operate. I could also see him pushing for a campaign finance reform in the first 100 days.

I don't see a request for a cabinet position or to be on the ticket though.

He will, and they will. Angry and fearful white men can't carry trump alone. Trump is toast.

It is a bit early to get your pants in a bunch over someone guessing election results months in advance.

Yea, what do you think is on his wish list? I've heard that he would try to push for the elimination of Super Delegates or perhaps some modification to how they operate. I could also see him pushing for a campaign finance reform in the first 100 days.

I don't think he would want a cabinet position or to be her VP. Campaign finance reform would probably be the big one. The best way for him to influence that, if the Republicans keep stonewalling until after the election, is for him to have input into the SCOTUS nomination. I'm not sure Hillary will consider it worth it, though.

I agree.

Of all the candidates, Bernie strikes me as perhaps the most principled. He's been at this nearly 50 years - a half century, and his message has be shockingly consistent. He's getting older, and sadly the reality is his years are likely getting numbered. I believe he sees this as his last opportunity to effect significant change. I believe he's doing this from his heart, and "damn the consequences". I admire that. I wish I had the opportunity to vote for him above that in the primary!

So, "Carry-on, good footsoldier - apply the Bern as far and as long as you see fit"! :thumbs:

He will, and they will. Angry and fearful white men can't carry trump alone. Trump is toast.
While I can't disagree, there is definitely a subset of Indies & Dems that are very much attracted to much of the generalities of Mr. Trump's campaign; I know several of them, I see the attraction. So I believe Trump may give the Madame Sec'y a run for the money. But as others said, can the general message be accepted with such huge specific negatives? Trump is very much a double-edged sword!

Endorsing a candidate does not really affect that many supporters.

Trump is running against Hillary.

She's either going to be indicted or not. Probabaly not

So you think a establishment Politician, a established liar who just got away with something that would have put the average American in prison for years is going to appeal to the undecided and independant voters ?

You think corrupt establishment is all the rage this voting cycle ?

Something tells me I'm going to need to drink heavily in order to survive election night.
And something tells me that the next morning there's going to be hung-over people in Best Buy looking to replace flat-screens from the night before that had become mysteriously "damaged"! :mrgreen:

This was the most winnable election in a generation for the GOP.

And we decided we'd rather act like children.

View attachment 67201014

I have to give the Left Credit as they market well to their supporters most of whom are naïve, gullible, and very poorly informed thinking only with their hearts never using their Brain. Hillary is one of the most corrupt 'public servants" to hold office with a lot of positions held but no truly positive accomplishments in any of them. She got on her husband's coattails, filled her resume with political appointments, and accomplished absolutely nothing positive and yet is being marketed as qualified and experienced for the job. Her judgment is poor at best supporting the Iraq War being for it before she was against it, allowing for the killing of an American Ambassador, supporting the Arab Spring and thus generating zero positive foreign policy accomplishments.

It remains to be seen if the country will follow the same path they did in 2008-2012 electing, re-electing, and now electing another incompetent to the WH, someone with zero leadership and management experience.

The bolded is:

The single issue that I want addressed the most
Only going to be addressed if Bernie makes it happen
The single issue Shillary wants to pretend doesn't exist, I'm sure she already regrets talking about it, necessary as it was for her at the time.

That's Bernies biggest opportunity to affect change, making it so the system itself doesn't weed out anyone who isn't will to play the money game. Giving that rara avis, the honest politician, a chance in the future.

So you think a establishment Politician, a established liar who just got away with something that would have put the average American in prison for years is going to appeal to the undecided and independant voters ?

I certainly don't think juvenile, boorish braggart is all the rage either. Neither is perceived Xenophobia, misogyny, protectionism or religious intolerance. All of which Trump exudes with his ideas on building a wall, religious litmus tests and starting trade wars.

The server-gate issue is not the albatross Hilary's opponents would like it to be, it simply has no traction with a majority of voters.

Hilary's best asset in this campaign is Donald Trump. Every time he open's his stupid mouth and utters another idiot phrase, five women go democrat.

Get this: Trump will have to get all the votes did Romney, and a few hundred thousand more. Romney barely had support from women, Trump has less, a lot less than 'binder boy".

I have to give the Left Credit as they market well to their supporters most of whom are naïve, gullible, and very poorly informed thinking only with their hearts never using their Brain. Hillary is one of the most corrupt 'public servants" to hold office with a lot of positions held but no truly positive accomplishments in any of them. She got on her husband's coattails, filled her resume with political appointments, and accomplished absolutely nothing positive and yet is being marketed as qualified and experienced for the job. Her judgment is poor at best supporting the Iraq War being for it before she was against it, allowing for the killing of an American Ambassador, supporting the Arab Spring and thus generating zero positive foreign policy accomplishments.

It remains to be seen if the country will follow the same path they did in 2008-2012 electing, re-electing, and now electing another incompetent to the WH, someone with zero leadership and management experience.

Hillary? Sorry, you're describing the average Trump supporter. And if you see Donald as more competent than Hilary, name four laws Trump has ever read, let along drafted

I certainly don't think juvenile, boorish braggart is all the rage either. Neither is perceived Xenophobia, misogyny, protectionism or religious intolerance. All of which Trump exudes with his ideas on building a wall, religious litmus tests and starting trade wars.

Dont get me wrong, Im no Trump supporter, Im a Conservative

Trump will level his guns at Hillary and will remind the American voter on a daily basis that she's a corrupt establishment Politcian and above the law and also a 3rd Obama term.

She will counter with the expected drivel, the stuff you just posted and that will simply bounce off Trump

Hillary? Sorry, you're describing the average Trump supporter. And if you see Donald as more competent than Hilary, name four laws Trump has ever read, let along drafted

It is way too early to crown Hillary but that is what many want to do based upon diverting from the Hillary results to demonize Trump for what he says not what he has done. Trump has the executive and leadership skills that Hillary can only dream about and although she has positions on her resume none with positive accomplishments. Her poor judgment and record will be the albatross around her neck except for the Obamabots who couldn't care less about results but like the "free stuff" she offers.

Something tells me I'm going to need to drink heavily in order to survive election night.

It's enough to make a person despair. I've been indifferent about a lot of presidential candidates over the years, but to come down to 2 I despise...

Trump will level his guns at Hillary and will remind the American voter on a daily basis that she's a corrupt establishment Politcian and above the law and also a 3rd Obama term.

She will counter with the expected drivel, the stuff you just posted and that will simply bounce off Trump

I think you're over estimating Trump and under estimating Clinton. She is a tough, amoral bitch.

Given Obama's approval ratings, the bolded accusation would only help Trump with those who already support Trump.

Back
Top Bottom