• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Convince me I am wrong

So what are they doing that would get a private citizen arrested? And my second question...…..are you smart enough to understand you are wrong? We will see. LMAO!

Well see...you failed in your opening statement, building it on a false premise. They are, by definition, not private citizens. They are, in fact, people who either entered the country illegally or overstayed their visa, illegally. That act, itself, is a crime.

That's funny....you're super wrong, but funny. How many times do you have to be wrong before you stop making ridiculous comments like this? I wonder.

Let's call a truce then, you stop making your ridiculous statements and I'll stop making mine. Ok? I'm wrong in your opinion, I didn't realize you spoke for all of america.

So what are they doing that would get a private citizen arrested? And my second question...…..are you smart enough to understand you are wrong? We will see. LMAO!

Hmmmm, idk... They are harboring illegal immigrants. Immigrating into the USA illegally is illegal. Harboring lawbreakers is illegal.

So what's the crime? So you are not smart enough to understand. At least that's what you are proving and I believe you!

Harboring a criminal.

He already told you...

We have a president who every day in office is breaking the law but I'm not hearing any complaints from the right about that.
How so? He's been following the Constitution quite well, actually. Care to list some examples?

You guys long ago lost the right to claim you are the party of law and order.
Not interested in your bigotry...

No, sanctuary cities do not hide criminals or harbor criminals.
Yes, they do. Crossing the border illegally IS a crime.

All sanctuary cities do is limit their involvement with federal immigration enforcement activity, however federal immigration enforcement are still capable of engaging in their activities in those sanctuary cities. Those here illegally can still be found, detained, processed, what have you by federal authorities.
Still harboring lawbreakers...

All that is happening is local governments are saying federal enforcement is on their own with immigration activities.
Still harboring lawbreakers...

Now I will admit that some sanctuary cities are going to the next step of providing defense via funds for those who are detained (San Francisco and Chicago come to mind.)
Exactly. They are harboring lawbreakers...

Sanctuary cities are actually guilty of harboring criminals. That is against the law. If a private citizen did it they would be arrested.

Put those Cities in jail then for harboring them there criminals.

Go ahead.

I will support you 100%

Let's call a truce then, you stop making your ridiculous statements and I'll stop making mine. Ok? I'm wrong in your opinion, I didn't realize you spoke for all of america.

You're not even honest in your reply, how unsurprising. I never spoke as if I represent all of America. I only pointed out your comment about Trump committing a crime every day in office was wrong. I mean, ultimately it's an utterly vacuous comment, containing no specifics, but plays well for those unthinking people that agree with you.

Sanctuary cities are actually guilty of harboring criminals. That is against the law. If a private citizen did it they would be arrested.

Selective enforcing of laws is not illegal nor is it harboring criminals. Otherwise, the federal government selectively enforces drug laws by not prosecuting marijuana dispensaries in states that have legalized Marijuana even though it is illegal federally. Trump and all his DoJ have not upheld federal law, so where is your complaints against that selective enforcing? Seems you are ok with "selective enforcing" of laws since you don't hold Trump accountable for not enforcing federal drug laws against states that are blatantly going against federal law.

Breaking a law does not mean you will be arrested immediately.
It's not being claimed that it does...

It doesn't even mean they would consider investigating it if they knew about it.
Sure, there's priorities... I would think that national security would be a rather high priority, however...

If you knew anything about realty, you'd know that there are many laws on the books that no one cares about, or enforces.
Harboring fugitives, regardless of the realty they are being harbored in, is illegal.

Your idea that a person would be arrested the moment they "break a law", is absurd.
Not what is being asserted... Try to keep up.

It's up to law enforcement and its entire chain of management/jurisdictions, to decide what priorities to set for how we spend our limited law enforcement resources.
True, and I would think that national security would be a rather high priority.

You break the law every day by going slightly over the legal speed limit, should we hook up a sensor that issues you a ticket every time?

Bigotry... not everybody drives over the speed limit.

Plus, speed limit laws are adequately enforced.

You're not even honest in your reply, how unsurprising. I never spoke as if I represent all of America. I only pointed out your comment about Trump committing a crime every day in office was wrong. I mean, ultimately it's an utterly vacuous comment, containing no specifics, but plays well for those unthinking people that agree with you.

Again, the emoluments clause from day one.

Simply being in an American city while undocumented is a Civil Violation, it is not a Criminal violation.

It's not being claimed that it does...
Of course it does.
OP said:
guilty of harboring criminals. That is against the law. If a private citizen did it they would be arrested.
A "city" harboring criminals? Not how the law works.
A private citizen *would be arrested*. No, they would not necessarily be arrested. Just as I claimed.

Sure, there's priorities... I would think that national security would be a rather high priority, however...
Who said anything about national security? We're talking about undocumented aliens.

Harboring fugitives, regardless of the realty they are being harbored in, is illegal.
Which person is harboring them? Expanding that to mean a "city" is absurd. The nation is also "harboring criminals" using that expansive, stupid definition. Did you really mean that? It would be absurd if you did.

Not what is being asserted... Try to keep up.
False. "
If a private citizen did it they would be arrested". No, they would not.

Cities can choose their priorities just like the federal government can. Some cities don't choose to prioritize helping federal LEO in chasing down undocumented immigrants.

You say this is as if you're actually rational enough to accept the truth... but fine I'll bite.

First, if a private citizen did this you would need a warrant to search their premises. You'd have to demonstrate that there was external evidence of criminal activity in the home, in order to justify it. The federal government is relying heavily on local law inforcement to inform them if there are any crimes being committed. The local authorities are under no obligation to report anything they don't view as a crime. So long as the citizens of that city or state don't have a problem it's really nobody else's business.

Second, the states and cities have jurisdiction over themselves. That's what state's rights are all about remember? Unless you can argue that something a city or state is doing is somehow damaging to the other cities and states around them you have no rational basis for telling them what to do. If the people of a given city or state don't seem to have any problems living among immigrants who are you to tell them they can't?

Lastly, during the 1930s there were a lot of German families that were guilty of harboring criminals. The German government at the time considered their ethnicity alone to be a crime. They said the Jews were coming to Germany from other places, undermining their culture and taking their jobs. Sound familiar?

If San Francisco wants to fill it's city with immigrants why does that bother you so much? How does that hurt you? Can't you just move to a different city if you don't like it?

There is a long and respected tradition of churches offering political sanctuary to people who have been branded criminals before a trial has begun. Rather than comparing sanctuary cities to individuals, perhaps a better parallel would be churches. Embassies too have a tradition of offering sanctuary to those accused but not yet found guilty of criminal behaviour. So again maybe embassies are a better parallel. Immigration is first and foremost a political bone of contention in the USA today. It is unwise to characterise it as a purely black and white binary issue when it is clearly not. Illegal aliens or undocumented workers, pick your name tags, but in reality the majority are desperate people and families trying to escape poverty and political upheaval in order to make a better life for themselves.

Also there is another dimension to these mass migrations which the US media often remains silent about. That is the role of US Government foreign policy in creating the conditions which drive these mass migrations in Latin America and the Caribbean. America is to an extent reaping the consequences of what it has unwisely sown abroad south of its borders.

Convinced?

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Breaking a law does not mean you will be arrested immediately.
It doesn't even mean they would consider investigating it if they knew about it.

If you knew anything about realty, you'd know that there are many laws on the books that no one cares about, or enforces. Your idea that a person would be arrested the moment they "break a law", is absurd. It's up to law enforcement and its entire chain of management/jurisdictions, to decide what priorities to set for how we spend our limited law enforcement resources.

You break the law every day by going slightly over the legal speed limit, should we hook up a sensor that issues you a ticket every time?

What's really funny......because it proves they don't have brains......is that if we lived in a society that they wanted, every single time you got pulled over by a cop you would get a ticket.

Why do conservatives love to entertain liberals with their stupidity? I don't mind......just want to know why? Lmao

What about it?

List the Constitutional language and explain why he is in violation of it...

Let me try to explain. If you support trump everything is a witch hunt and he has broken no laws. All these career people who work in law and order are just plain crazy and don't know what they are talking about. It's all a big conspiracy.

That's funny....you're super wrong, but funny. How many times do you have to be wrong before you stop making ridiculous comments like this? I wonder.

Lmao. Try again......its entertaining the smart people. Lmao

Well see...you failed in your opening statement, building it on a false premise. They are, by definition, not private citizens. They are, in fact, people who either entered the country illegally or overstayed their visa, illegally. That act, itself, is a crime.

Its clear you are just not smart enough. Lmao

Selective enforcing of laws is not illegal nor is it harboring criminals. Otherwise, the federal government selectively enforces drug laws by not prosecuting marijuana dispensaries in states that have legalized Marijuana even though it is illegal federally. Trump and all his DoJ have not upheld federal law, so where is your complaints against that selective enforcing? Seems you are ok with "selective enforcing" of laws since you don't hold Trump accountable for not enforcing federal drug laws against states that are blatantly going against federal law.

Lmao. I just wonder why this is so difficult for conservatives? I mean.....what on earth would keep them from thinking? They can't even understand despite trying so hard. Lmao

Back
Top Bottom