• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Convictions and Preferences...

Daisy

"Make sure of the more important things."
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Do you know the difference?

"Would you sleep with a man for $1,000,000?" Mark Twain* asked an attractive woman.

"Yes, I probably would."

"How about $5?"

"What do you think I am, Mr. Twain!"

"We've already established what you are, now we are just determining your price."
~
This anecdote illustrates the difference between convictions and preferences.

Preferences are fine if we're talking about fashion or food. But when we're talking about God's principles, we must have convictions.

Convictions are not negotiable—they're not for sale at any price. Godly people believe what God's Word teaches even when those beliefs are mocked by culture (e.g. the biblical view of genders, abortion, sexual behavior, self-denial, and salvation).

They don't make exceptions and excuses. They stand firmly on God's Word even when it brings them insults (Matthew 5:10-12).

When "no one is looking," genuine believers do what is right because they have convictions.

The bottom line question is "who do we love?" If you don't know what I mean, read Christ's words in John 14:21.
https://biblelovenotes.blogspot.com/2014/06/believe-it-or-not.html

Do you know the difference?

"Would you sleep with a man for $1,000,000?" Mark Twain* asked an attractive woman.

"Yes, I probably would."

"How about $5?"

"What do you think I am, Mr. Twain!"

"We've already established what you are, now we are just determining your price."
~
This anecdote illustrates the difference between convictions and preferences.

Preferences are fine if we're talking about fashion or food. But when we're talking about God's principles, we must have convictions.

Convictions are not negotiable—they're not for sale at any price. Godly people believe what God's Word teaches even when those beliefs are mocked by culture (e.g. the biblical view of genders, abortion, sexual behavior, self-denial, and salvation).

They don't make exceptions and excuses. They stand firmly on God's Word even when it brings them insults (Matthew 5:10-12).

When "no one is looking," genuine believers do what is right because they have convictions.

The bottom line question is "who do we love?" If you don't know what I mean, read Christ's words in John 14:21.
https://biblelovenotes.blogspot.com/2014/06/believe-it-or-not.html
You sure that was Mark Twain? I've always heard it attributed to Winston Churchill.

Back
Top Bottom