• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Convicted U.S. Capitol rioter from Sharon area dies by suicide

beefheart

Ice Cream for Crow?
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Condolences to his family.

A Capitol rioter from Mercer County killed himself Friday.

Matt Perna, who was awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty to four counts related to the Capitol breach, died of a "broken heart," his family said in his obituary.

The Mercer County Coroner's office on Tuesday confirmed that Perna committed suicide at his residence.

He was 37.
His family partly blamed the government and the prosecution of his case for his fate.

"His community, which he loved, his country and the justice system killed his spirit and his zest for life," the obituary said.

"The constant delays in hearings and postponements dragged out for over a year. Because of this, Matt's heart broke and his spirit died and many people are responsible for the pain he endured."

Perna drove to Washington on Jan. 6 to attend the Donald Trump rally falsely declaring that the election was stolen.

He marched on the Capitol and entered the building wearing a "Make America Great Again" sweatshirt. He stayed inside for 20 minutes, filming with his phone and chanting "U.S.A." with the crowd. He later posted a video to his Facebook page in which he and a co-defendant, Stephen Ayres, introduced himself along with Perna and a woman in a hotel room.

Trump shares at least half the responsibility for his death (the other half being Perna’s).

Meh, I don't really see the need to tap dance on his grave. I think he/they should be prosecuted and do time or community service or whatever else, but I take no comfort in his death. Seems like a sad situation.

I'm surprised more of these people haven't committed suicide, to be honest.

10 Trumpster traitors should commit suicide for every Capitol police officer who committed suicide after the Jan 6 attack. That seems only fair.

Meh, I don't really see the need to tap dance on his grave. I think he/they should be prosecuted and do time or community service or whatever else, but I take no comfort in his death. Seems like a sad situation.
Not tap dancing at all.

He made a bad choice, then made a fatal choice. I feel for his loved ones.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Condolences to his family.

Sounds delusional, if you read the article. For much of it, he takes little responsibility for his actions. Or maybe, finally, he realized he'd been snookered and lied to by The Donald and couldnt face the humiliation.

Deepest condolences to his family and friends.

The young man was mislead by the former law breaking president ................. Trump does not give a shit .....

The young man was mislead by the former law breaking president ................. Trump does not give a shit .....
A fact proven many times over.

Oh my, perpetual victimhood, even in death, blaming other people.

Another victim of the extremely bad choices made starting in 2016.

Back
Top Bottom