• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Convention or Infomercial?

Torus34

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
First this week and then next week, the major party conventions are being broadcast over TV and radio for several evenings in a row.

I've not watched, and barely listened. Quite frankly, judging by what I know thus far, the Democratic Party convention resembles nothing so much as an extended version of a MyPillow(r) infomercial. I suspect that the Republican convention will not be all that much different. Eventually, each party will get around to approving their platform statements. I'll read those on the 'net.

Meanwhile, I've some good books to enjoy and some good night's sleeps to look forward to.

No matter your political orientation, regards. Stay safe and well. Remember the Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

Im not bothering to watch the conventions- Im waiting for the debates. Trump versus Biden will be fun.

Actually I find this format so much better. Before they were just pep rallies too.

Do I need to see the balloons and clowns in straw hats? No.

The speeches are shorter and you don't have to listen to the crowds interrupting the speeches every 2 minutes with the same old chants.
Plus if you seen one adult swatting at falling balloons you've seen them all.

Im not bothering to watch the conventions- Im waiting for the debates. Trump versus Biden will be fun.

Agreed, I am looking forward to seeing these two have to speak to one another.

Seeing two angry bitter senile old guys approaching the age of needing to have their car keys taken away from them, arguing about what is best for the nation, but from within the confines of right wing this and left wing that should be nothing short but a series of popcorn ready moments, with the real loser being the "American People" (term politicians love to use.)

First this week and then next week, the major party conventions are being broadcast over TV and radio for several evenings in a row.

I've not watched, and barely listened. Quite frankly, judging by what I know thus far, the Democratic Party convention resembles nothing so much as an extended version of a MyPillow(r) infomercial. I suspect that the Republican convention will not be all that much different. Eventually, each party will get around to approving their platform statements. I'll read those on the 'net.

Meanwhile, I've some good books to enjoy and some good night's sleeps to look forward to.

No matter your political orientation, regards. Stay safe and well. Remember the Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

Nice try. Did you really think you would get past this crowd trying to link the DNC with snake oil salesman "My Pillow Guy".

Since the modern primary era began in 1976, conventions are nothing more than infomericials, propaganda shows. Everything has been decided before hand, the conventions who's business was to choose a nominee and then the nominee pick his VP prior to the modern primary era is just a let over relic from a bygone era.

There use to be only 10-15 primaries prior to the modern primary era, some not even binding. The conventions meet to choose a nominee. You even had a presidential candidate chosen who didn't enter a single primary in 1968, Hubert Humphrey. In 1956 JFK and Estes Kefauver will battling it out for the VP nomination before Kefauver won on the third ballot. In 1960 JFK won 9 of the then 15 primaries, he barely won the presidential nomination of the first ballot with 52%. Then in a surprise move, JFK announced on the third day that LBJ would be his VP nominee. It took three ballots in 1952 for Stevenson to win the nomination.

My point is since 1976 when the modern primary system first began, conventions has been nothing more than a political party's propaganda show piece. They mean nothing. A left over relic when conventions were held to choose their nominee instead of anointing him.

Nice try. Did you really think you would get past this crowd trying to link the DNC with snake oil salesman "My Pillow Guy".

Hi!

Thank you for your response.

I'm not concerned with 'this crowd', whomever they may be.

Regards. Stay safe and well. Remember the Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

Since the modern primary era began in 1976, conventions are nothing more than infomericials, propaganda shows. Everything has been decided before hand, the conventions who's business was to choose a nominee and then the nominee pick his VP prior to the modern primary era is just a let over relic from a bygone era.

There use to be only 10-15 primaries prior to the modern primary era, some not even binding. The conventions meet to choose a nominee. You even had a presidential candidate chosen who didn't enter a single primary in 1968, Hubert Humphrey. In 1956 JFK and Estes Kefauver will battling it out for the VP nomination before Kefauver won on the third ballot. In 1960 JFK won 9 of the then 15 primaries, he barely won the presidential nomination of the first ballot with 52%. Then in a surprise move, JFK announced on the third day that LBJ would be his VP nominee. It took three ballots in 1952 for Stevenson to win the nomination.

My point is since 1976 when the modern primary system first began, conventions has been nothing more than a political party's propaganda show piece. They mean nothing. A left over relic when conventions were held to choose their nominee instead of anointing him.

Hi! Thank you for your extensive reply.

I'm in agreement for the most part. The sole things to come out of conventions that I pay attention to are the party platforms. They're a rough guide to the beliefs of the anointed. Once in office, some items may be discarded like candy wrappers. Which they will be forms an interesting guessing game.

Regards. Stay safe and well. Remember the Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

Actually I find this format so much better. Before they were just pep rallies too.

Do I need to see the balloons and clowns in straw hats? No.

The speeches are shorter and you don't have to listen to the crowds interrupting the speeches every 2 minutes with the same old chants.
Plus if you seen one adult swatting at falling balloons you've seen them all.

I agree. And the amount of money being saved is a real incentive to change the way conventions are held in the future.

...ugh.. these 'debates' are a stinking fraud...an honest debate is merely 'a competition of ideas about government'... we don't have that... we have a couple of stinking phony commercial productions where two hand-picked bankster puppets will utter scripted answers to scripted questions...

[hint for republicrats: if we had an honest, competitive 'competition of ideas about government' people like me would LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE to participate... if only to ask my numbskull republicrat opponents, 'who creates our money and how do they do it?'...believe me, honest 'debates' would very fun and very interesting and very very embarrassing to republicrats..]

Hi! Thank you for your extensive reply.

I'm in agreement for the most part. The sole things to come out of conventions that I pay attention to are the party platforms. They're a rough guide to the beliefs of the anointed. Once in office, some items may be discarded like candy wrappers. Which they will be forms an interesting guessing game.

No one these days reads party platforms, so you're quite unique in that. They're total disregarded during the election and when it comes to governing, also disregarded. Another leftover relic? In today's technology age, I think we all know what each party will try to do if they win when it comes to governing and which direction they will attempt to pull the country. Then again, many of us, myself included never listen or take any campaign promise seriously these days either. They're always broken for the most part. Not because the candidates didn't believe in them, but the candidates also had to have the will of congress behind him to fulfill those promises.

Then too, a lot of campaign promises are just hot air aimed at winning votes with the candidates not having any urge to do what they say.

No one these days reads party platforms, so you're quite unique in that. They're total disregarded during the election and when it comes to governing, also disregarded. Another leftover relic? In today's technology age, I think we all know what each party will try to do if they win when it comes to governing and which direction they will attempt to pull the country. Then again, many of us, myself included never listen or take any campaign promise seriously these days either. They're always broken for the most part. Not because the candidates didn't believe in them, but the candidates also had to have the will of congress behind him to fulfill those promises.

Then too, a lot of campaign promises are just hot air aimed at winning votes with the candidates not having any urge to do what they say.

Yes again. Your comments somehow reminded me of something in one of my 'go to' books: [Ed.: The book, a limited edition, is unfortunately out of print.]

“The successful politician, early on, learns the distinction between answering a question and making a reply. In most instances, the latter is, career-wise, the better choice.” A Beginner's Guide to Government. Aloysius Goldpen. Chelm Press, 2011, Gotham, GA.

Regards!

Back
Top Bottom