• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Convection oven or no??

tessaesque

Bring us a shrubbery!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I think I'm about to purchase a new range (electric, FWIW) and I have narrowed my choice down to one particular brand of range with a 5-top burner and a double oven. On one version of this particular range, the lower oven is convection. On the other version, it is not.

I've never had/worked with a convection oven, so I'm not sure what to expect. Is it worth paying slightly more, or would I even notice a difference (the price difference is $50)?

I bought a dual oven once - conventional and convection. I never used the convection. Was too afraid I would jack up the food or whatever. :lol:

I live in a neighborhood that doesn't offer natural gas (which I would prefer) but I am thinking of getting one of these:

induction.jpg

It's an induction cooktop. It will boil an entire pot of water in under a minute but it's cool to the touch. The cooking vessel has to have iron in it to activate the burner, so you will never burn your hand, you will never set your potholder on fire. It's really cool.

I think I'm about to purchase a new range (electric, FWIW) and I have narrowed my choice down to one particular brand of range with a 5-top burner and a double oven. On one version of this particular range, the lower oven is convection. On the other version, it is not.

I've never had/worked with a convection oven, so I'm not sure what to expect. Is it worth paying slightly more, or would I even notice a difference (the price difference is $50)?

if you have access to natural gas use it. for your range and hot water, drier, house heat, etc
stove top gas is so much better
for ovens - baking, anyway - electric might have an edge (albeit a small one)

now to your actual question
splurge the $50 and get both
convection is 25% faster, more uniform, and retains more moisture
radiant is still better for things where you don't want the moisture retention ... think angel food, souffles, and meringue

Convect really helps the meats. If it is some thing that is covered, convect doesn't help.

GE Profile™ Series Induction Cooktops: Home

home_feature_induction.jpg

These things are in the $1500 range.

To me, it's a no-brainer - get the convection oven

Pros

1) Food cooks about 25% quicker
2) It's recommended to set the cooking temp 25 degrees lower than what you usually do. This, combined with quicker cook times means less fuel is used.
3) It cooks food more evenly
4) You get bragging rights for having the latest technology

Cons

1) Aside from having to get used to the quicker cook times and lower temp, there are none.

Couldn't tell ya. If you ever want some advice about Foreman grills though, holler at Gipper.

Couldn't tell ya. If you ever want some advice about Foreman grills though, holler at Gipper.

Is that what they call boobs now?

Edit: Sometimes I just crack myself up. :rofl

A convection oven is good for lots of stuff but you also have to look at the capacity of the regular oven. In a lot of dual units the regular oven is too small to get stuff like a decent sized turkey into.

I bought a dual oven once - conventional and convection. I never used the convection. Was too afraid I would jack up the food or whatever. :lol:

I live in a neighborhood that doesn't offer natural gas (which I would prefer) but I am thinking of getting one of these:

View attachment 67156745

It's an induction cooktop. It will boil an entire pot of water in under a minute but it's cool to the touch. The cooking vessel has to have iron in it to activate the burner, so you will never burn your hand, you will never set your potholder on fire. It's really cool.

I just replaced a conventional electric cooktop with a 4 burner induction (A GE Profile) and couldn't be happier. It bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in a couple of minutes, reacts to power changes instantly and generates very little waste heat so the kitchen stays nice and cool. About the only adjustment I've had to make is that it'll heat up a saute pan so quickly that I have to have all my prep work done before starting to cook. There literally isn't time to finishing chopping vegetables while the oil in the pan heats up.

You do need induction ready cookware which can add to the cost if you don't have any. Personally I've bought alot of Update International stainless steel induction cookware. Inexpensive, well constructed stuff. Not real eye catching, but nice in it's very functional way.

I'd never go back to conventional electric. It'd be like trading in a Ferrari for an Edsel.

We have a double oven and the lower one is convection. I don't use the convection feature much myself, but my wife absolutely loves it for baking.

if you have access to natural gas use it. for your range and hot water, drier, house heat, etc
stove top gas is so much better
for ovens - baking, anyway - electric might have an edge (albeit a small one)

now to your actual question
splurge the $50 and get both
convection is 25% faster, more uniform, and retains more moisture
radiant is still better for things where you don't want the moisture retention ... think angel food, souffles, and meringue

No natural gas lines running to my house, which I'm okay with. I've never been exposed to much natural gas...it certainly isn't incredibly popular in the metro areas of DFW from my experience. I'm not sure about cost for having lines run to my house, either. I'm only aware of one house in our area with a gas meter, and I have no idea where the source line is. Since everything is already set up for electric, and since it's typically a couple thousand to have new gas service set up, I'll stick with electric.

My family with gas cook tops swear by it, though. I've only ever managed to burn my food when I've had the rare occasion to cook with it.

I bought a mini-oven that had convection.

Since then, I am irresistible to women, men, chimps and dolphins. They are building a statue of my likeness in Lithuania.

(seriously, get it, it is good)

NuWave has a portable induction cooktop now that I'm debating on trying. I love the NuWave oven, so at least I have one bonus in trying something new.

Without reading any of the links or responses, just to give a heads up always use a convection oven 25 degrees less than a conventional (e.g.325 instead of 350)

Other than that, they're great.

NuWave has a portable induction cooktop now that I'm debating on trying. I love the NuWave oven, so at least I have one bonus in trying something new.

If you got the money and haven't learned that stoves are hot, those are great as well...;)

If you got the money and haven't learned that stoves are hot, those are great as well...;)

The money? Yeah I can swing a hundred bucks...plus whatever S&H is (let's assume 30).

Hell, if you're one of those serious people (caterers, party planners, or someone who just loves to cook an insane amount), you could get a train of them and basically have a buffet line of hot, freshly-cooked food. A wife who would do this for a Super Bowl party is a definite keeper.

The money? Yeah I can swing a hundred bucks...plus whatever S&H is (let's assume 30).

Hell, if you're one of those serious people (caterers, party planners, or someone who just loves to cook an insane amount), you could get a train of them and basically have a buffet line of hot, freshly-cooked food. A wife who would do this for a Super Bowl party is a definite keeper.

Well, I was assuming you wanted more than a (1) fancy hotplate...;)

Being the culinarian, I always put emphasis on the little lady's pouring skills...:drink

Back
Top Bottom