• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Consumer Prices Jumped. Should You Worry? That's Sparking A Heated Debate

RealityNow

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Prices for some of your favorite things are going up. The big question is how long the price hikes will last.

Consumer prices rose 0.6% in March, according to the Labor Department — the sharpest increase in nearly nine years. Over the last 12 months, the department's consumer price index has risen 2.6%. Excluding volatile food and energy prices, inflation was 0.3% in March and 1.6% over the last year.
end quote

Nothing more than GREED, the minute the merchants saw that Stimulus Money go into people's hands.

I think Biden, should have called for a "Price Freeze' the minute those checks started going out. We know the history of "greed in society. The more people are helped, the greed monsters come in and truly and rob them by price hike fixing.

There should be some policy put in place when the Infrastructure Plan goes into effect, of a "Price Freeze on Building Materials" !!! Or the same set of character will do nothing but invoke price hikes to fleece all they can.
Every material items bought, rented and leased with Stimulus money should have to be managed by "Government Contract Pricing Controls", because history has shown us, that the same set of character will fleece the system of those "everyday peoples' tax money to enrich themselves, by price hikes. Clauses should be written in every contract that hold those who get the Contracts to strict limits on Change Orders Pricing Hikes, and any other kind of Price Hikes.. that these criminal types have always engaged.
Everything that is needed to be bought, leased and rented should be entered into a Government Data Portal, and the payment issued through a Government Data Payment System.... so we can top the Criminals in their tracks... and any who submit padded data can be tracked down, and make them pay back 10 times the amount they try to rip off and they get 10 yrs jail time for each count.

Do the exact same thing HUD did, when it saw the people ripping off programs by claiming excess Administrative Cost, and put a CAP on how much goes to Administration.

Have the Army Corp of Engineers, to scrutinize the materials necessary to build a project, so there is no more of these contractors and supplies "over exaggerating the amount of materials', and filling each others pockets with through that game, and then the Contractor or the greed chasers comes in and buys the excess and the project contractors profits from selling off the excess.

It's everyone's tax money that pays for this, and people need to "wise up" and stop acting as if they are unaware of this historical game of rip, strip and fleece.

We have enough computer systems, CAD systems and Material Tracking systems to put a stop to the old historical game of rip off that happens any time there is a public construction project.

We need to employ "On Time Delivery" the same as many warehouse have used for decades to ensure there is no "overstocking", which results to be sold off at a discount into a secondary market.

People sit mindless as if they don't think about this stuff, and then complain when projects go over budget and become inferior in quality and durability, while the contractors walk away with a kings ransom.
Wake Up Time People.

If you want to cry my tax dollars, then pay attention and learn how to demand systems use the technology to manages accountability!!! Or shut up about "my tax dollars'. These types love to complain about any money that goes to help general citizens, but they have been trained through history to hold a blind eye to the contractor rip off game, because its basically been dominated by wealthy white men. It's time to change that dynamic, and only deal with "honest contractors" and don't just trust them, use the data system that 'manage the process', because blindly trusting them has never worked.

Last edited:

Prices for some of your favorite things are going up. The big question is how long the price hikes will last.

Consumer prices rose 0.6% in March, according to the Labor Department — the sharpest increase in nearly nine years. Over the last 12 months, the department's consumer price index has risen 2.6%. Excluding volatile food and energy prices, inflation was 0.3% in March and 1.6% over the last year.
end quote

Nothing more than GREED, the minute the merchants saw that Stimulus Money go into people's hands.

I think Biden, should have called for a "Price Freeze' the minute those checks started going out. We know the history of "greed in society. The more people are helped, the greed monsters come in and truly and rob them by price hike fixing.

There should be some policy put in place when the Infrastructure Plan goes into effect, of a "Price Freeze on Building Materials" !!! Or the same set of character will do nothing but invoke price hikes to fleece all they can.
Every material items bought, rented and leased with Stimulus money should have to be managed by "Government Contract Pricing Controls", because history has shown us, that the same set of character will fleece the system of those "everyday peoples' tax money to enrich themselves, by price hikes. Clauses should be written in every contract that hold those who get the Contracts to strict limits on Change Orders Pricing Hikes, and any other kind of Price Hikes.. that these criminal types have always engaged.
Everything that is needed to be bought, leased and rented should be entered into a Government Data Portal, and the payment issued through a Government Data Payment System.... so we can top the Criminals in their tracks... and any who submit padded data can be tracked down, and make them pay back 10 times the amount they try to rip off and they get 10 yrs jail time for each count.
You ain't seen nothing yet.

Trump's policies resulted in stable consumer prices with virtually non-existent inflation. Biden enters the picture and his handler's policies result in immediate price increases and an immediate rise in inflation. It will only get worse.

But seriously...you should know that government price controls is the absolute WORSE solution to this problem. Price controls only result in two things: Increased demand and decreased supply.

Any time the government puts their thumb on the supply/demand/price scale, bad things happen.

Might be time to carefully raise interest rates again.
We don't need to support financial institution sucking up Stimulus monies. If they want to raise rate, then raise their taxes!!! If manufacturing want to promote cost increase, then raise their taxes.... There's always a way to stop the "fleecing of the people and the nation".

Trump's policies resulted in stable consumer prices with virtually non-existent inflation. Biden enters the picture and his handler's policies result in immediate price increases and an immediate rise in inflation. It will only get worse.

But seriously...you should know that government price controls is the absolute WORSE solution to this problem. Price controls only result in two things: Increased demand and decreased supply.

Any time the government puts their thumb on the supply/demand/price scale, bad things happen.
If you don't understand the subject matter's context... why speak? Bullshit, Trump's Trade War's cost every America, in higher prices and most items suffered to become smaller product quantity. If you had paid attention you would have seen the product quantity shrink, its the oldest game in the business of commerce, to delude people to think they have stable pricing. You just verified the fact that you feel for it!!!

I was buying the small size Pepsi/ Coke, which was 8 cans packs with 4 for $10 and suddenly it became 6 can packs with 4 for $11.... so don't tell me Trump kept prices low.

If you don't understand the subject matter's context... why speak?
Oh...I do understand.

But if you think I don't, then how about you explain what you think I don't understand?

These type of contractors have always ripped off the system and the workers, while they find every means to fleece a contract, while also underpaying workers and trying to work with a skeleton crew, and result to not finish projects on time, and over-work the few, which results in "inferior productions".

Wake up people... Think Ahead, not whine and scream after the fact of the project having been ripped off!!!!

We have Computer System that can "track anything" and we need to demand that it is utilized to its fullest capabilities, before the Infrastructure Money in put into the system.

Stop bitching about the Infrastructure Bill, and stand up and be intelligent enough to demand that "All Tracking and Data and Material management systems are in place, and make damn sure that "All Expenditure for Manpower is registered into a Government labor cost management system. This ensures workers are paid, and that contractors can't exaggerate and lie and claim they paid more people than they actually paid, and any people who use immigrant labor, must also input that data into the system, because there is no such thing as massive projects that do not use immigrant labor; never has been and never will be, so, pay them and register it into the data system.

We have the tools to stop the bullshit, and get "quality infrastructure built" and completed in a timely manner without outrageous cost over-runs.

Think Smart and stop bitching about the fact we need Infrastructure and be smart of supporting means to manage it properly.

We don't need to support financial institution sucking up Stimulus monies. If they want to raise rate, then raise their taxes!!! If manufacturing want to promote cost increase, then raise their taxes.... There's always a way to stop the "fleecing of the people and the nation".
Which will take till forever to get done. Raising rates is something that can be ratcheted one way or the other and it can be done without going through a bunch of rigamarole. We can't even agree to a Commission to Investigate Jan 6th at this point. We are that kind of mess at the moment.

If Inflation gets really bad as it did in the Carter years, it takes a Federal Reserve Chairman with real guts, like Paul Volcker to stay the course and choke Inflation off. Volcker simply would not be deterred while others around him lost their nerve. Volcker had to really turn the tap on interest rates in order to choke off what was raging inflation, much much worse than what we have now. But he did it.

I doubt we would have to go anywhere near where Volcker went. However, Inflation is like the COVID virus. Looks like it is OK until its not. Looks like the graphs are not terrible until they are not and then you are chasing it from behind and never really able to catch up. But the test book lesson in choking off Inflation in this country is Paul Volcker.

Our farmers don't think so. The government helps them all the time.

Oh...I do understand.

But if you think I don't, then how about you explain what you think I don't understand?
First off, Government Prices Controls DO WORK... for the public and public projects... they don't work for "greedy contractors, who have a history of fleecing and looting the system"...
These are PUBLIC PROJECTS - not designed for "For Profit Rip By Contractors and Suppliers".... The Government should employ "Experienced Category Specific Comptrollers" to do the data checking to ensure there are none of the historical fleece and robbery of public resources in the process of developing public infrastructure projects.

I've done monitoring of Government Funded programs, and developed very detailed accounting method where data was entered to track everything, and we met every metric's that was established, and when the auditors came, they found "no irregularities"....

I just did the same thing for a Recent Disaster Recovery, where everything was hyperlinked on the spreadsheet to the cost data, the estimates, and rental cost and other needed items and services,
I just reviewed a data portal which we will start utilizing, which has the capability to provide stat and performance data to make sure cost and issue can be identified quickly.
I know what kind of technology is available, and the benefits of utilizing it.

First off, Government Prices Controls DO WORK... for the public and public projects... they don't work for "greedy contractors, who have a history of fleecing and looting the system"...
These are PUBLIC PROJECTS - not designed for "For Profit Rip By Contractors and Suppliers".... The Government should employ "Experienced Category Specific Comptrollers" to do the data checking to ensure there are none of the historical fleece and robbery of public resources in the process of developing public infrastructure projects.

I've done monitoring of Government Funded programs, and developed very detailed accounting method where data was entered to track everything, and we met every metric's that was established, and when the auditors came, they found "no irregularities"....

I just did the same thing for a Recent Disaster Recovery, where everything was hyperlinked on the spreadsheet to the cost data, the estimates, and rental cost and other needed items and services,
I just reviewed a data portal which we will start utilizing, which has the capability to provide stat and performance data to make sure cost and issue can be identified quickly.
I know what kind of technology is available, and the benefits of utilizing it.
Wait...

I thought you were talking about "consumer prices". Now you are talking about "public projects"?

Two different animals. Decide which you want to talk about and get back to me.

Covid really did a number on prices, so it's not surprising that now that we're climbing out of the hole, that consumer prices would increase.

Our farmers don't think so. The government helps them all the time.
They got a couple BIG bailouts due to Trump's Trade War on China that netted us nothing.

i'm fairly confident that 90% of the posters here have never been on the management side of the consumer/seller equation.

Gee... talk of major tax increases are bringing on higher consumer prices.

Which will take till forever to get done. Raising rates is something that can be ratcheted one way or the other and it can be done without going through a bunch of rigamarole. We can't even agree to a Commission to Investigate Jan 6th at this point. We are that kind of mess at the moment.

If Inflation gets really bad as it did in the Carter years, it takes a Federal Reserve Chairman with real guts, like Paul Volcker to stay the course and choke Inflation off. Volcker simply would not be deterred while others around him lost their nerve. Volcker had to really turn the tap on interest rates in order to choke off what was raging inflation, much much worse than what we have now. But he did it.

I doubt we would have to go anywhere near where Volcker went. However, Inflation is like the COVID virus. Looks like it is OK until its not. Looks like the graphs are not terrible until they are not and then you are chasing it from behind and never really able to catch up. But the test book lesson in choking off Inflation in this country is Paul Volcker.

We have very sophisticated software today, that can be put to use.... I'm involved right now, in the process to bring it into our organizations, the company that developed it, previewed last year a database I made, and they had their people to develop one that can do everything I designed mine to do, and theirs does more and made an very easy to read dashboard, where even a Untrained observer can see the parallels and collaterals and such, and then it breaks it down in graph form.
I've been trying to get the organizations to use these systems for 10 yrs, I built the one I use in 2012, and when we got new leadership who had experience in the field, he recolonized the benefit right away, and the department started using it in this year. I used it anyway since 2012 by keeping the data up to date... even when the previous admin, avoided using it, but they kept coming back over the years asking for the same info, but did not respect the system of how I could provide that info on demand.
I had to create an elaborate Excel to provide similar data, because they were more comfortable with excel than investing to understand the capabilities of well designed data management system.

The Government has some very good systems, I watched HUD create a system that better tracked CDBG Block Grant Funds and Projects it supported, and they were able to save huge sums and become more efficient in how the programs and projects were funded and held accountable. It will only get better, with the availability of how data is processed and managed.

People forget, this is the age of information.... Guess work based on someone personal notoriety does not work anymore... Data Management, Data Analytics is more important today, because we have the tools to make it a fundamental and easy to manage system.

That's not what's doing it, and anyone engaging in this topic with a shred of intellectual honesty in their arguments would note that.

But fundamentally, the jump in prices is coming at a time when businesses are still struggling to keep pace with unexpectedly strong demand for goods.

Shoppers are likely spending more freely as pandemic restrictions ease, helped by $1,400 relief payments passed by Congress last month, as well as accumulated savings from a year of reduced travel and entertainment.

That is further straining supply networks that were already stretched thin, with traffic tie-ups at west coast ports and shortages of steel, lumber and computer chips.

There is large demand and supply chain problems that are driving prices up, it's market forces. Not talks of tax increases.

And we all know how much the R's despise having to part with their money. You guys want lower prices lower taxes and lower voter turnout. Calling for lower taxes helps us how as far as infrastructure spending is concerned? I think the gop should stop concentrating on money so much and start caring about the health of our nation. With the top twenty percent of americans owning most of the money in america I do not understand what lowering taxes accomplishes?

Wait...

I thought you were talking about "consumer prices". Now you are talking about "public projects"?

Two different animals. Decide which you want to talk about and get back to me.
Did you purposefully, miss the point I made about "Stimulus Funds" being injected into the system, and suddenly prices increased. did you not understand that Infrastructure Projects use "consumer created goods". "Geez!!! You went so far as to try and interject Trump into the subject matter, but you can't understand the relations of Consumer prices and Stimulus Funds, whether those funds are dispersed to people, or to infrastructure projects.

It's why I said to your first comments, if you don't understand the subject matter "context"... why speak. It was not an insult it was a point of fact. You do understand that Infrastructure Projects, will use "Stimulus Funds"... or do you not understand that?

end quote

Do the exact same thing HUD did, when it saw the people ripping off programs by claiming excess Administrative Cost, and put a CAP on how much goes to Administration.

Have the Army Corp of Engineers, to scrutinize the materials necessary to build a project, so there is no more of these contractors and supplies "over exaggerating the amount of materials', and filling each others pockets with through that game, and then the Contractor or the greed chasers comes in and buys the excess and the project contractors profits from selling off the excess.

It's everyone's tax money that pays for this, and people need to "wise up" and stop acting as if they are unaware of this historical game of rip, strip and fleece.

We have enough computer systems, CAD systems and Material Tracking systems to put a stop to the old historical game of rip off that happens any time there is a public construction project.

We need to employ "On Time Delivery" the same as many warehouse have used for decades to ensure there is no "overstocking", which results to be sold off at a discount into a secondary market.

People sit mindless as if they don't think about this stuff, and then complain when projects go over budget and become inferior in quality and durability, while the contractors walk away with a kings ransom.
Wake Up Time People.

If you want to cry my tax dollars, then pay attention and learn how to demand systems use the technology to manages accountability!!! Or shut up about "my tax dollars'. These types love to complain about any money that goes to help general citizens, but they have been trained through history to hold a blind eye to the contractor rip off game, because its basically been dominated by wealthy white men. It's time to change that dynamic, and only deal with "honest contractors" and don't just trust them, use the data system that 'manage the process', because blindly trusting them has never worked.

WOW!

Keep the economy shuttered- Issue Checks to ALL- Freeze prices.

Sounds like a Socialist Nightmare come true.

In this case, it actually IS a Socialist nightmare Come true.

People, the subject matter is about "getting ahead of the curve to deter and stop the rip offs of "inflationary increase" the minute "stimulus money is put into the system".

What is it about that simple premise that is escaping some? If it takes increasing tax on "inflation promoting greed mongers" then... tax their asses for every % of price increase that come into play the minute stimulus and government projects are put in place. It's the best way, to take back, what they try and rip off!!!

Greed mongers don't understand anything until penalty is assessed upon and against them!!!! It's no different than whipping their ass, every time they gouge with intent to fleece the stimulus or government projects.

Furthermore, Any Politician who has investment in any category of that provide anything to the Infrastructure Production, Development and Supply chain, should be made to "divest their holdings"... Period!!!!

Last edited:

end quote

Wake Up Time People.

inflation is a coming. it's not done yet, by a long shot.

print that 10 trillion dollars more for "infrastructure" and see what happens,.

Well. That's... a lot of words.

• 1.6% inflation is NOTHING. Seriously. The Fed's official target is 2%, and even that is super low.

• Inflation is probably going to jump a bit more as the stimulus hits, and then it will fall. We saw that in 2009 or so. The endless moral panics over inflation are really just an excuse to oppose the idea that government can actually be useful sometimes.

• News flash! Prices on some goods tend to increase during a pandemic. Supply chains got disrupted; factories have to add ventilation, pay for PPE, make sure their workers stay safe, and occasionally get shut down by outbreaks.

• There will be oversight on infrastructure spending. That said, transparency and oversight won't prevent inflation, it will just make the program more efficient and reduce waste. (Not "eliminate" waste, because humans gonna human, but it will reduce it.)

inflation is a coming. it's not done yet, by a long shot.

print that 10 trillion dollars more for "infrastructure" and see what happens,.
Good grief. Broken record much?

We heard that BS after the 2008 recession, and it DIDN'T happen.

We aren't "printing $10 trillion." The federal government is borrowing it, at insanely low interest rates. And that doesn't cause inflation.

How many years in a row do y'all have to be wrong about this, before you accept that you're wrong?

Back
Top Bottom