• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Constitution Promotes Ignorance

That way the government could sit in judgment of each person's thought, and pass draconian laws to subjugate them........and that would please you.

What you are describing sounds a lot like a theocracy. No thank you.

Many of us are already aware of that but we just say it online.

1. the body of the constitution setups the structure of the federal government and creates FEDERALISM, thats all it does.

2. the bill of rights places restrictions on the federal government, while only recognizing rights of the people.

I have a haphazard theory that the freedoms in the constitution force one to ignore other people and take away one's right to complain.
Ultimately, freedom of religion means a bizarre respect given to religions. Every right in the constitution issues an ultimatum: either you ignore something or stage a counter-protest to that thing.

If there are religious protesters numbering in 80 blocking the sidewalk and entry to a Planned Parenthood building, I can either stage a counter-protest or ignore them. I am not given the right to issue a general complaint, such as: the protesters are incidentally damaging the sales of a local restaurant, as in the following article:

Maine restaurateur driven to take steps against nuisance

I find the USA has an unconditional bias for religious protesters. Only one state that I know of Utah has really cracked down on them.

Street Preachers could Face Harsher Penalties (HB 131) | MormonInfo.org

Also I think they were banned from Times Square for a while and also currently banned from Bourbon street in New Orleans during certain hours:

Preachers Exiled from Bourbon Street: This Week in Bans - John Metcalfe - The Atlantic Cities

I have noticed many cities like New York have bred a sort of ignorance into their citizens. New Yorkers are so adept at ignoring everything, they have almost developed a sort of urbane conservatism, where rather than protest anything untoward, they completely ignore it, such as the Virgin Dung painting, the bothered some conservatives, but caused many New Yorkers merely to look the other way.

Virgin dung: Art as religious bigotry

I have also noticed that other ignorance are common in New Yorkers. One for instance, when stopped on the street, admitted he had not heard of Edward Snowden, but was not surprised by what he leaked. The freedoms in the constitution, rather than promote free information and free thought, actually encourage ignorance and an ability to ignore other people who are exercising freedoms. The ability to not be bothered by anything is prised highly in the USA for this reason, whereas other nations like Germany and the UK are allowed to complain more.

The U.S. Constitution guarantees your right to complain and your freedom of speech. :roll:

"The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen." ~ Tommy Smothers

The U.S. Constitution guarantees your right to complain and your freedom of speech. :roll:

"The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen." ~ Tommy Smothers

So true, SN. But the Constitution doesn't guarantee the right to be heard. Obviously some people have a hard time understanding the difference.

Actually, the Constitution protects rights...but I'm not so sure it can really guarantee anything.

Last edited:
So true, SN. But the Constitution doesn't guarantee the right to be heard. Obviously some people have a hard time understanding the difference.

Actually, the Constitution protects rights...but I'm not so sure it can really guarantee anything.

Attack someones freedom of speech and see what happens.

Seriously, give it a try.

`
Our constitution inherently and fundamentally promotes the expansion of liberty and freedom. However, it also balances that liberty against any “possible harm” such an expansion may cause, erring on the side of the prevention of harm.

“We The People” may petition our elected officials to enact laws that may restrict certain expansions of freedom to prevent possible harm. That is constitutionally permissible.

To that extend, enacting laws that promote commerce, agricultural, drug (and other such activities as prescribed by the people) safety or standards is constitutionally permissible.
`
`
`

There's an old aphorism that says "the Constitution is not a suicide pact."
Nor is it a guarantee that if you do something not only illegal, but mind-bendingly, suicidally stupid,
that the government will move heaven and earth to save you from your own dumbness.​

`
Our constitution inherently and fundamentally promotes the expansion of liberty and freedom. However, it also balances that liberty against any “possible harm” such an expansion may cause, erring on the side of the prevention of harm.

“We The People” may petition our elected officials to enact laws that may restrict certain expansions of freedom to prevent possible harm. That is constitutionally permissible.

To that extend, enacting laws that promote commerce, agricultural, drug (and other such activities as prescribed by the people) safety or standards is constitutionally permissible.
`

an easier way would be to say, "that which threatens the health and safety of the public"......but to add, "if there is no victim, there is no crime"

Last edited:

Oh, I sure get what you're saying. But fortunately I don't have to hear, read, or see others unless they have me at gunpoint.

The government has restricted what people can say more than once and there wasn't much uproar about it.

There is no freedom of speech. I can't tell you how many times I've had my comments deleted or I've been banned because of something I said.

Oh, I sure get what you're saying. But fortunately
I don't have to hear, read, or see others unless they have me at gunpoint.

Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing, eh?

The government has restricted what people can say more than once and there wasn't much uproar about it.

I don't know what planet you live on, I remember lots of uproar about government censorship.

Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing, eh?

Indeed it is. If we can keep it. It appears that there are more and more folks who actually want "choice" of any kind to be limited. Government, in some ways, seems to be working overtime toward that end.

1984 (the book) comes to mind.

I saw something the other day that was alarming, but not surprising. The article made the claim that information that is in the healthcare.gov system is actually being sold. I wished I'd saved the article. The citizens Right to Privacy isn't in the best interest of our government.

Dang, I just now noticed your signature. THAT'S GREAT! Tommy Smothers, huh? Wow, while he's a very funny guy...what he said, to me, is pretty serious stuff and I'm in agreement.

Indeed it is. If we can keep it. It appears that there are more and more folks who actually want "choice" of any kind to be limited. Government, in some ways, seems to be working overtime toward that end.

1984 (the book) comes to mind.

I saw something the other day that was alarming, but not surprising. The article made the claim that information that is in the healthcare.gov system is actually being sold. I wished I'd saved the article. The citizens Right to Privacy isn't in the best interest of our government.

Dang, I just now noticed your signature. THAT'S GREAT! Tommy Smothers, huh? Wow, while he's a very funny guy...what he said, to me, is pretty serious stuff and I'm in agreement.

I loved the Smothers Brothers show when it was on TV.

CBS fired them because of politics.

I loved the Smothers Brothers show when it was on TV.

CBS fired them because of politics.

What were their politics (just curious because I didn't know that info)!

It guarantees, only in accordance with the rule of law in any given society, as to whether it is strong or weak.

I have a haphazard theory that the freedoms in the constitution force one to ignore other people and take away one's right to complain. Ultimately, freedom of religion means a bizarre respect given to religions. Every right in the constitution issues an ultimatum: either you ignore something or stage a counter-protest to that thing.

If there are religious protesters numbering in 80 blocking the sidewalk and entry to a Planned Parenthood building, I can either stage a counter-protest or ignore them. I am not given the right to issue a general complaint, such as: the protesters are incidentally damaging the sales of a local restaurant, as in the following article:

Maine restaurateur driven to take steps against nuisance

I find the USA has an unconditional bias for religious protesters. Only one state that I know of Utah has really cracked down on them.

Street Preachers could Face Harsher Penalties (HB 131) | MormonInfo.org

Also I think they were banned from Times Square for a while and also currently banned from Bourbon street in New Orleans during certain hours:

Preachers Exiled from Bourbon Street: This Week in Bans - John Metcalfe - The Atlantic Cities

I have noticed many cities like New York have bred a sort of ignorance into their citizens. New Yorkers are so adept at ignoring everything, they have almost developed a sort of urbane conservatism, where rather than protest anything untoward, they completely ignore it, such as the Virgin Dung painting, the bothered some conservatives, but caused many New Yorkers merely to look the other way.

Virgin dung: Art as religious bigotry

I have also noticed that other ignorance are common in New Yorkers. One for instance, when stopped on the street, admitted he had not heard of Edward Snowden, but was not surprised by what he leaked. The freedoms in the constitution, rather than promote free information and free thought, actually encourage ignorance and an ability to ignore other people who are exercising freedoms. The ability to not be bothered by anything is prised highly in the USA for this reason, whereas other nations like Germany and the UK are allowed to complain more.

Why do leftists hate individual rights so?

how?

if you had freedom from religion, would that not mean you have liberty to not hear or see it at all?......and we know thats not true.

You can't ban an idea... short of government instantaneously killing a religious person that shows themselves and destroying anything religious that they have there is no way to ban not seeing it nor hearing it. That is why it is freedom of religion. You are free to not practice religion just as much as others are free to practice their religion.

Back
Top Bottom