• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Constitutinal Law experst shows off his skills *snicker*

Actually a SOS CAN decide if a document should be classified but may not declassify a document that the President as classified.

No. The SOS may perhaps classify stuff incorrectly, but they don't just get to decide not to classify it. That aside, it's not even a real possibility as the office of the SOS isn't an originator of intelligence, but a consumer.

No. The SOS may perhaps classify stuff incorrectly, but they don't just get to decide not to classify it. That aside, it's not even a real possibility as the office of the SOS isn't an originator of intelligence, but a consumer.

Which law school did you graduate from? I suggest you take your disagreement up with the lawyer in my link.

When it comes to classified information, agency heads have special responsibilities and special privileges. They have plenary authority to classify or declassify information. If rules regarding classified information are broken, they have the authority to determine administrative punishments. Unless they go so far as to break the law, no one is authorized to administratively punish them.
Richard O. Lempert is the Eric Stein Distinguished University Professor of Law and Sociology emeritus at the University of Michigan.

Which law school did you graduate from? I suggest you take your disagreement up with the lawyer in my link.

The SOS is not the head of an agency. As such, your quote doesn't apply. If Hillary was DIRNSA or something, then you'd be correct.

The SOS is not the head of an agency. As such, your quote doesn't apply. If Hillary was DIRNSA or something, then you'd be correct.

Who is the head of the State Dept. then?

Executive Orders get changed all the time. Bush amended Clinton's EO on classification and Obama amended Bush's EO. The agencies that classify their products do so by regulations set down in EOs. In other words, the President is the boss of all the agencies and classification authority is derived from the President's office.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/executive-order-classified-national-security-information

Have you even read the EO in your link? Have your read 18 U.S.C., specifically § 793, § 798, and § 1924? Have you ever had a security clearance? Have you ever had training regarding OpSec and Maintenance of Classified Data?

Again, the President cannot change the law. And if you would had actually read the EO in your link, you would have noticed that it contradicts what you have been claiming the President can do, and I doubt you would have posted a link to it if you had actually read it before doing so.

Last edited:

Seriously? You are actually claiming that the Secretary of State is not the head of a federal agency?

Seriously? You are actually claiming that the Secretary of State is not the head of a federal agency?

Yes, the SOS is the head of the state department, which is not an agency.

Have you even read the EO in your link? Have your read 18 U.S.C., specifically § 793, § 798, and § 1924? Have you ever had a security clearance? Have you ever had training regarding OpSec and Maintenance of Classified Data?

Again, the President cannot change the law. And if you would had actually read the EO in your link, you would have noticed that it contradicts what you have been claiming the President can do, and I doubt you would have posted a link to it if you had actually read it before doing so.

Sorry, no matter how much you try, it's not going to change the fact that all classification authority is derived from the President and the President can chose to declassify information. No matter how much you kick and scream, it's not going to change that fact.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, by the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, it is hereby ordered as follows:

Back
Top Bottom