• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Conspiracy theorists find validation from Glenn Beck

hazlnut

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
washingtonpost.com

Great piece on Beck and how he's giving voice and legitimacy to the violent fringe.

Conspiracy theorists find validation from Glenn Beck

By Dana Milbank
Sunday, October 10, 2010

Glenn Beck has a friend in California.

"I would've never started watching Fox News if it wasn't for the fact that Beck was on there," says this friend, Byron Williams. "And it was the things he did, it was the things he exposed, that blew my mind."

It's sad how some people can view a show that is obviously fear-mongoring, race-baiting, and hyper-partisan propaganda as some sort of truth expose.

"I do enjoy Glenn Beck," Williams also says, "and the reason why I enjoy that is because... no other channel will speak about the same things that he's talking about, and if you go and investigate those things you'll find out that they're true."

I wonder how much personal investigation these people actually do. When we confront a Beck fan on DP with facts that contradict something he said on his show, they fight tooth and nail to hold on to their distorted reality.

Maybe someone should do a study on mental illness and Beck fandom.

Unfortunately for Beck, this satisfied viewer currently resides at the Santa Rita Jail near Oakland and stands accused of a freeway shootout with police. Williams pleaded not guilty to four counts of attempted murder of a police officer. But according to court documents, he said he had been on a mission to kill people at the liberal Tides Foundation, which happens to be a favorite Beck target.

What do we know:

1) Everything Williams knows about Tides Foundation is from Beck's show.
2) Since Beck's show premiered, Tides has been mentioned on 31 editions of Fox News programs, 29 of which were editions of Beck's show.
3) During the same time, Tides was not mentioned on ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, or PBS.

Beck characterized Tides as a "mass organizations to seize power." A secret conspiracy to infiltrate capitalism and cause it to fail. All the language Beck uses to describe Tides, you'd think he was talking about a James Bond villain and George Soros was Goldfinger. Infiltration, indoctrination, take-over... nothing with any basis in reality. Yet Beck irresponsibly puts it out there as fact, then unstable, angry people hear this nonsense, and get all worked up.

And, in this case, act out.

The piece goes into some more detail of how Williams would 'verify' what Beck was telling him by using the internet. But if you start with the assumption that anyone calling Beck a liar or less-than-credible is a leftist not to be trusted, how do Beck fans ever expect to get the truth? They cling to fear and paranoia.

How can he be giving voice to the violent crazies when he's CONSTANTLY preaching non-violence?

Sounds like someone is trying to connect two puzzle pieces that just don't fit.

How can he be giving voice to the violent crazies when he's CONSTANTLY preaching non-violence?

Sounds like someone is trying to connect two puzzle pieces that just don't fit.

It's Hazlnut... he believes Media Matters... OH WAIT! He's using MM as the source.

It's Hazlnut... he believes Media Matters... OH WAIT! He's using MM as the source.

It's MrV -- he doesn't even bother to read the OP or any post, so afraid it might shatter his world view.

Close your eyes and run...

It's MrV -- he doesn't even bother to read the OP or any post, so afraid it might shatter his world view.

Close your eyes and run...

If your source was something more then a highly partisan propaganda site with a history of lying and distorting reality... maybe more people would read what you find so interesting.

For the record, I read to the link, saw it was MM and dismissed it. Like... an article out of the National Enquirer, while it's amusing to read about Tom Selleks midnight adventures with the martian prostitute, no one takes it seriously.

And I saw the WashPo start, it was the MM link that killed your thread.

Last edited:

Its call CYA. In a way its like the myth busters saying "dont try our stunts at home." It fixes liability issues.

Its call CYA. In a way its like the myth busters saying "dont try our stunts at home." It fixes liability issues.

Funny I didn't see you or Hazlnut getting this worked up about algore and Green Movement when that nutbag took on the Discovery channel....

OH THATS right, he was just plain crazy, this guy... obvious Beck-bot.

Funny I didn't see you or Hazlnut getting this worked up about algore and Green Movement when that nutbag took on the Discovery channel....

OH THATS right, he was just plain crazy, this guy... obvious Beck-bot.

I don't watch the discovery channel as its all about sharks, midgets, and home decorating. So I probably did not notice when it happened. Also is the green movement inciting violence? (which was what I was replying to)

Last edited:
This has to be one of the lamest attempts to attack Beck I've ever seen, seriously.

Glenn Beck uses just enough "facts" in his outlandish theories so that the dumb and ignorant will believe him. Most of the people who listen to Glenn Beck are country bumpkins who are still waiting for the commies to come.

Glenn Beck uses just enough "facts" in his outlandish theories so that the dumb and ignorant will believe him. Most of the people who listen to Glenn Beck are country bumpkins who are still waiting for the commies to come.

Do you have any proof to this statement, or is this just no facts in an outlandish theory?

Back
Top Bottom